It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The USA is one of the least racist countries in the World

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   
And that's the scary part. We got to admit it has gotten better, alot better compared to other countries around the world. It's known about the racism in Latin America, including Brazil, which has one of the biggest areas of stratification.

I question Brazil's rank on that list, especially considering her past. China is more racists than Japan, hm. Interesting, i've always considered both countries equally xenophobic (which they are).

But I will say this about the survey

The survey asked respondents in more than 80 different countries to identify kinds of people they would not want as neighbors. Some respondents, picking from a list, chose “people of a different race.” The more frequently that people in a given country say they don’t want neighbors from other races, the economists reasoned, the less racially tolerant you could call that society. (The study concluded that economic freedom had no correlation with racial tolerance, but it does appear to correlate with tolerance toward homosexuals.)

Different race what? That is one of the questions i have about the survey. Different race as in skin color (which means alot in India) or different race as in "Indian" vs say "Pakistani" because those are different races to.

In closing, I agree with what your saying but that map, no. I don't agree with that.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by zilebeliveunknown

False. Racism exist because of the fact that people lost their true personal identities, they do not know who they are, hence it's easy for them to label other people with racist remarks.

Culture helps mould an identity, not racial traits.

edit on 17-7-2013 by Tykonos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by cenpuppie

Agreed. Brazil is not so nice when it comes to indigenous folks.

CJ

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   
It depends what you define as racist.

Treating people differently because of the colour of their skin?

The word "Racism" has been de-sensitised over the years, its banded about far too easily.

The answers given in the survey may have been different if asked:

Which of these would you least like to employ:

Which of these would you least like your child to marry. etc etc.

You cannot define racism by one quesiton. Real racism is deep seeded and is not an off the cuff remark.

Briles

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Depends on your interpretation of racist I suppose. The rat race here is out of control.
We step on everyone else to get ahead, color is not an issue.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

I have missed you.

I have always equated racism with, on a large scale, the treatment of women. It seems to me that the cultures that subjugate women the most tend to be the more racist.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Thank you Sky, for bringing this to ATS's table

I know from travel experiences that the U.S. is one of the least racist countries in the World.
But there seems to be an agenda to paint the U.S. as one of the most racist countries in the World.

I have not traveled outside of the U.S. I have Traversed all of the U.S and in the age we are currently in, the U.S. is not the Racist Country it is painted out to be. Especially on ATS, my own interpretations and findings because of how diverse the ATS culture is, many do paint the U.S. as a bunch of bigoted, pompas, racists. This could not be farther from the truth in my opinion, again this is only the interpretations I have assertained from non U.S. citizens on this site alone. Most don't realize that the U.S. is so utterly politically correct that if you spoke the wrong words to another, you can be painted and branded a racist and if that person you degraded so happened to be a president of a company can definately put a wrench in any future employement plans any individual may have.

So why do we so often hear that America is the "most racist country in the world?" America welcomes people from all cultures and ethnicities. In fact what is "an American?" An American is a mix of many different origins. Look at our President for example.

I personally feel that it's from Hollywood. Most humans interpret Western American Culture from the movies they see. Hell, if you watched Grand Turino w/ Clint Eastwood, and spin the hands of time back 40-60years... That is a exact replica of how many acted towards one another. It's the toxic essence that is being spewed accross the board and tarnishing the "actual truth" of: When a foreigner comes to America, unless your in a bible belt, holier than thou and your not the right color (folks theres only so many of those left by the way) We will treat you the same as everyone else. And by the "same" is not always a good thing either, this can be good or bad.

That is not to say that America didnt' have it's dark times in regards to slavery, but this is a Earth problem and not just secluded to America when at a given point in time, there were just as many White slaves than blacks. It's not about race anymore here in America, only for those American's who want to beat a dead dog do we still see color. It's a dog eat dog country and if your not ready to go the extra 100miles... Well... You just won't make it.

Just my thoughts... Take a penny~Leave a penny~

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Racism is perception. The perception of the U.S. being a nation of racists is a reflection of the message of "rampant racism" being spewed by the MSM.

I read a brilliant thread earlier about white slavery predating black slavery in the colonies. "They were white and they were slaves"
Why isn't this taught in the public schools? Perception. Slavery and racism are seen as crimes of the white man against the black man, which has become the social norm. Groups like the NAACP will continue to perpetuate this "social norm" as long as it maintains their political power... The Zimmerman trial would have NEVER happened if Trayvon had been a white kid. To teach that whites had been slaves in the U.S. would completely undermine the current social engineering. History re-written by omission.

In some countries I have visited, racism goes far beyond color. Try being a non-Catholic in the Philippines... a non-Muslim in Saudi Arabia or a South Korean of Japanese descent. No difference of skin color... but racism nonetheless.

This country has been through an awful lot in the name of race. Yet, we will never transcend racism as long as TPTB can continue to use it as a means to an end... and they will continue to use it as long as they get the emotional response that they expect.

One of the best things that happened in the hours following the verdict, was what didn't happen. No widespread riots. No widespread dissent. Isolated incidents that quickly died off... had this happened 20 years ago, all hell would have broken loose. The people of this country put racism behind them long ago... it is TPTB through the MSM that continue to cling to the agenda...

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream

Okie.. let me break down your OP.

Caste system is racism within India, it does not apply to outsiders. Second, maybe you are getting you info about Caste from 50 yrs old reference, go to talk to any kid that is about 25yrs and below... they probably won't know anything, just like how religion is decreasing in youth in western world.

Not true. Both parties mentioned in the OP were in their early 20s (the massagists and the waiters).

You being white, "aka American" they assume you are rich, even if a rich black guy goes to India he would not been seen as rich? is that racism or what the British instilled in their head about what a white skin is about during the 500 yrs old colonialism?

Not true. The caste-system (called color-system in their language) is a very ancient teaching in India.

I bet the servers were just scared of black people lol... probably only "black" people know is from movies and are portrayed as gang and violent individual.

You claim you've been to India but I`m pretty sure you haven't.

The racism toward blacks in India is severe. That's pretty well known. Whats your purpose in denying it?

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters

I have never ever heard anyone say the US is one of the most racist countries in the world. Ever.

You should listen to Europeans talk or read the "Comments Sections" of European online newspapers.

It's no surprise when most peoples interactions with Americans comes in an online format.

You wouldn't assume Americans were relatively racist if all you had to go on were forums like this, where outrageous, open racism from American members is a disturbingly common feature?

Obviously the USA globally is one of the least racist countries in the world, but in a western scope it trails behind on the issue in quite a few respects. Look at how alarmingly rare interracial relationships are in the USA, despite the country being an amazing melting pot of people from all ethnic backgrounds. Or look at the laws in America which allow people to run around murdering black children in cold blood. There's good reason America is criticised for trailing behind western countries when it comes to race.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by madmac5150
Racism is perception. The perception of the U.S. being a nation of racists is a reflection of the message of "rampant racism" being spewed by the MSM.

I read a brilliant thread earlier about white slavery predating black slavery in the colonies. "They were white and they were slaves"
Why isn't this taught in the public schools? Perception. Slavery and racism are seen as crimes of the white man against the black man, which has become the social norm. Groups like the NAACP will continue to perpetuate this "social norm" as long as it maintains their political power... The Zimmerman trial would have NEVER happened if Trayvon had been a white kid. To teach that whites had been slaves in the U.S. would completely undermine the current social engineering. History re-written by omission.

In some countries I have visited, racism goes far beyond color. Try being a non-Catholic in the Philippines... a non-Muslim in Saudi Arabia or a South Korean of Japanese descent. No difference of skin color... but racism nonetheless.

This country has been through an awful lot in the name of race. Yet, we will never transcend racism as long as TPTB can continue to use it as a means to an end... and they will continue to use it as long as they get the emotional response that they expect.

One of the best things that happened in the hours following the verdict, was what didn't happen. No widespread riots. No widespread dissent. Isolated incidents that quickly died off... had this happened 20 years ago, all hell would have broken loose. The people of this country put racism behind them long ago... it is TPTB through the MSM that continue to cling to the agenda...

^ A great example of the casual racism and backwardsness found in the USA

Black people are never given a fair go. If there is some individual or systematic racism highlighted pertaining to black people what happens? We here about the librul meeja, race cards, social engineering, cultural marxism, how africans sold slaves, white people were slaves, racism works both ways etc. All excuse to deflect from and deny the issue at hand. The response of the closet racist, who probably lacks the intelligence to grasp that he or she even is racist.

Shocking

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by GrandStrategy

And as long as people like you refuse to see the proverbial forest for the trees, racism will continue... thanks for illustrating my point so well.

As far as the personal implications of me being a closet racist? If you knew me at all, you would realize just how laughable and pathetic your argument is... Many of my family members are "mixed race"... I have aunts, uncles, cousins, nephews, nieces that are all black... go figure...

Would you like to know why I didn't mention that fact?

Because it DOESN'T MATTER... we're ALL pink on the inside...

edit on 17-7-2013 by madmac5150 because: Disbelief

edit on 17-7-2013 by madmac5150 because: Accuracy

edit on 17-7-2013 by madmac5150 because: Added new info

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
India one of the most racist, not surprised. Their cast system is horrific.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Not true. Both parties mentioned in the OP were in their early 20s (the massagists and the waiters).

Understandable, poor people tend to follow blind backwards culture, like the some villages in india practice. But i def say the black man was more of an intimidation for them.

Not true. The caste-system (called color-system in their language) is a very ancient teaching in India.

Oh please... what is "ancient" to you? 3000 yrs? it was brought into India from Northern settlers to establish discrimination(again within themselves, did they treat British "traders" as lower cast? lol). India has been around longer before that.

The racism toward blacks in India is severe. That's pretty well known. Whats your purpose in denying it?

You mean dark-skinned brown? of course it exist. Not black as in African American, they are still exotic, not as much as white.

I went to Chennai/Madras, that dark skinned capital, where i spend most of my time(about 2 yrs, you thought it was a "trip" ?lol).. Since my friend was dark-brown skinned Tamil speaker, he told me the reason why south India still calls itself the "Tamil Nadu" and didn't 100% integrate with north India(the settlers).

Lived in 2 yrs in Madras, 1 yr in New Delhi, and i guess few months in Mumbai. Then i went to Singapore and Malaysia from there. Thanks to my dad's line of work.

edit on 7/17/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

Yeah, I'm from S.A. and I was surprised that we've made it in the least racist category. Should probably put Zimbabwe up there, too, along with India.

Glad though that people are at least acknowledging the fact that whites get persecuted and blamed for a lot of stuff round here.

Though, I'm a little tired of all these racial threads. Saffers get bombarded with racial debates everyday and it hasn't fixed a thing nor proven anything except that the majority is completely clueless and stuck in the past. I'm sure there's much better things to focus on as debating about race isn't going to get you anywhere except running in circles.

Hell! just let it go.
edit on 17-7-2013 by JosephPalasky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atzil321
I was suprised to see Sweden and Norway near the top of least racist. I know quite a lot of norwegians and swedes and they are shockingly racist people, danes are the worst for it.

Yes, I was looking for Finland as well. My fiancee is Finnish and I was nervous about meeting his mother for the first time. He said something along the lines of "You're white, it'll be fine" lol

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Just so people know the background, the data from this come from a Swedish study looking at the effects of social and economic strength in global tolerance. The racism scale is one of the measures, and the USA does rank high on that, but the main one they use is the global tolerance scale, which USA would rank in the 15-20% range on that graph. Makes you wonder what other forms of intolerance are being masked by the high levels of racial tolerance.

Does Economic Freedom Foster Tolerance

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
good joke ... seen and experienced firsthand the racism that exists in the u.s ..

its just more veiled than in other parts of the world ..

Yes we're so racist we elected a black president.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atzil321
I was suprised to see Sweden and Norway near the top of least racist. I know quite a lot of norwegians and swedes and they are shockingly racist people, danes are the worst for it.

I am a scandinavian myself and I do agree, there's a lot of hidden racism here. In recent years racism has become more accepted, which really scares me. It's touching on politics in Sweden and is part of the politics in Denmark. I was brought up to accept and feel compassion with those who are misunderstood due to cultural or racial differences.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
What amazes me is how some American people are obssesed with the survey and statistics they provide for themselves.

and

Other naive people who believe their eyes.

Why should anyone believe this ?

How should we be sure that it was done in just and comprehensive method ?

I just have one line.

People know American people through their actions.

remember me

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join