It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"UK government excited by 'disruptive' Sabre engine"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   

The UK government is putting £60m into the revolutionary Sabre engine, but its inventors will need about four times this sum to produce the final design. Discussions with private investors are now under way to secure the additional funding, says project leader Alan Bond. Sabre is a jet-cum-rocket that could, say its supporters, propel a fully re-usable space plane into orbit. Chancellor George Osborne has witnessed a display of its enabling technology, and is excited by the innovation. He intends to release £35m in 2014-15 and a further £25m in 2015-16 to help Mr Bond conclude the power unit's development phase. This would see the construction of a demonstration engine and a blueprint for manufacture.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Nice to see that for once the UK Government is actually investing in a UK project. Wondering where the rest of the money is coming from though? Rolls Royce?

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I bet its mostly private VCs.

Richard Branson and those types would eat this up

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Already posted here

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trillium
Already posted here

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Different forum, this story has implications for both space and air travel? as far as i know unless it has been recently changed a story can be posted in more than one forum when this applies?

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Mr Bond lol

how many other people checked this wasn't the joke forum at that point.

cool thread

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Why is the Government investing in this sort of thing during times of massive cutbacks and austerity budgets?

Even the USA has realized that NASA needs to have cutbacks to their space program during times of cutbacks.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
Why is the Government investing in this sort of thing during times of massive cutbacks and austerity budgets?

Even the USA has realized that NASA needs to have cutbacks to their space program during times of cutbacks.

Probably because its an opportunity for the UK to get the same lead in a game changing aerospace propulsion system as we could have had with jet engines if somebody had funded Frank Whittle when he first came up with the idea.

There lots of money and engineering jobs potentially in this.

Its not just a space program technology. The engine also has potentials in hypersonic transport (military or civil).

They should be applauded for doing this now, its just unfortunate that nobody funded it in the early 80s when it was first granted a classified patent. Its a case of better late than never. Goodness knows, i'm no fan of the smug muppet Osborne but he has called this one right.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Makes a change rather than pumping tax payer money into propping up the UK housing market.

More projects like this should receive more funding if the UK is ever to have a productive economy and well balanced society.

Unfortunately it will never happen though, the die is cast and UK fate sealed.

MR

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
they should pump more money into this... imagine the global sales.

www.independent.co.uk... html
edit on 17-7-2013 by tdk84 because: (no reason given)

RAB

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I'd still like to know what happened to the RB545 engine from the HOTOL. Funding gone RR make the project disappear and still covered by the Official Secret's Act.
RAB

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by tombangelta

Ditto....But, Is it THE Alan Bond?

Unfortunately, the Americans and British would have no idea what we are talking about....unless they love sailing.

edit on 8-8-2013 by gort51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Another update on this... looks like things are progressing well.

www.flightglobal.com...

They are now building a full size engine.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   

The US Military has turned to space planes and the technology being engineered for them,as it searches for ways to jumpstart its fledgling hypersonic aircraft line. Specifically, the U.S. Air Force Research Laboratory U.S.A.F. Research Laboratory (A.F.R.L.) has been examining the Skylone space plane which would be powered by the Synergetic Air-Breathing Rocket Engine (SABRE).

In a statement to Space.com, the A.F.R.L. explained, “AFRL is formulating plans to look at advanced vehicle concepts based on Reaction Engine’s heat-exchanger technology and SABRE engine concept.”

www.militarytravelexchange.com...

Thought this may happen for a while now, there were also rumors that Reaction Engines were working with one of the big engine manufacturers?
edit on 5-9-2014 by solidshot because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: RAB
I'd still like to know what happened to the RB545 engine from the HOTOL. Funding gone RR make the project disappear and still covered by the Official Secret's Act.
RAB

As I understood it, this is essentially the same engine and was developed by the same team that worked on that project at Rolls in the 80's

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: waynos

originally posted by: RAB
RAB

As I understood it, this is essentially the same engine and was developed by the same team that worked on that project at Rolls in the 80's

and what a fine job they did, i cant roll better than with a roller engine, awwwwwwwwww yes RR UK FTW, more acronym?

TTFN

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Can confirm it's definitely not the raffish Australian Alan Bond: this one has a long history in engineering: photo of him here... www.wired.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 05:21 AM
link   
a reply to: babybunnies
This is what we hear so many times over and over again, usually from someone who stays at home making babies because the government will pay for all their expenses

Get off the couch get a job and look ahead, look up...and not at your TV and Cubbard

So many people across this planet think that governments role is to feed and entertain them

Feed yourself, feed your family, and support the government in protecting you and doing things you cannot do as an individual

edit on 9-9-2014 by Xcouncil=wisdom because: (no reason given)

join