It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do you care about Martin or Zimmerman?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Why are so many people so emotionally invested in this case?

I guess I was pretty emotionally invested in it, but I asked myself this question while trying to sleep. I don't really know. It could be because I was in a similar situation as him, having the media running their mouth telling lies about me. I didn't do what I was accused of, so maybe that made me more likely to believe his side of the story. Might be interesting to hear from others why they were emotionally invested in it, see what others think.

This is not a discussion on the verdict, or whether you think it was right or wrong. That thread is over here.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   
i suspect a good portion of the interest was based on seeing how all the racism that has plagued North America for many years would play out in court. especially considering that that racism seems to have been what led to both the arrest and court case against George Zimmerman in the first place. seemingly to still the voices of hate that were calling for his incarceration or that they would riot.

one thing we did see was that even with all the hate and threats of violence and mayhem if he was not found guilty, that the jurors were able to see that Zimmerman was being railroaded based on his "color", emotions of racists, biased media, biased politicians (all the way to the president's office), and not real evidence and found him NOT GUILTY.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I think anyone who lives in any society wants to believe the blind eyes of justice will prevail when all the evidence is presented (heard) and a just verdict will be rendered. This case was so advertised at a time when gun control was on the front burner that it made many wonder. In the meantime in another city

Chicago gun violence has been a problem in recent years. The city has seen fewer gun related incidents this year but its hard to see the progress when 74 people get shot in a single weekend
Pretty bad stats for a gun free zone city IMO.....N.Y City another gun free zone had 16 if I remember right...where is the outrage? Everyone of those people who died also had a story and a background...Furthermore I am willing to bet several were unarmed and killed for no other reason than being at the wrong place at the wrong time

By the end of the 4th of July Weekend Chicago had 202 homicides. Same time last year, Chicago had 275 homicides...they are really making progress but where is the press and outrage for the 202 souls lost?
Read more at www.inquisitr.com...

This society seems to have selective caring; make the most out of a bad situation for someone's agenda ?

www.huffingtonpost.com...
edit on 14-7-2013 by 727Sky because: .....

edit on 14-7-2013 by 727Sky because: ....

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

I'm one of a small few that don't care I think.

Meh to it all I say.

Whose stuff goes down all over the world, every day.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Great question.....I was thinking the same thing, only from a different perceptive, as it sounds like the OP can relate in a more direct and personal way than the average person. My thoughts were that while this whole mess is sad for all concerned, how did this become anything more then another tragic death caused by fear or misunderstanding between the 2 parties involved?

A few days ago I spent the day sitting with my Dad in the hospital, he likes CNN and watching news channels so I watched MSM all day with him. What struck me as so odd was that there was one small piece that I saw all day on Snowden and his conference with Amnesty International that was covered by thousands of reporters from all over the world, one of the biggest stories to hit the US and the World, got a small, IMO biased, piece and the Martin / Zimmerman case dominated the airways?

I guess my question is DO people really care as much as is being reported, how much does the media influence WHAT people care about? If the attention was given in the same sort of way to Snowden, would it be being dismissed by so many people? It seems that issues that effect the course of humanity are not as worthy of true debate and airtime. Sure, you get a few brave souls such as Ron Paul who get minimal airtime, only to be overwhelmed with propaganda "talking points" that seem to minimize just how IMPORTANT this story is and imo the actual facts are being outright manipulated to protect WHO?

I don't know, will be interesting to read how others respond in this thread.......

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   
I am disgusted by it. And curious. Why this case? I think using the Casey Anthony trial, and this trial as examples, the media blows up stuff, convinces people of zimmerman and anthonys guilt, knowing there is NO hard proof to get the requested conviction, and watching people blow up at "injustice" and racism. I think it is a social experiment of some sort, or an attempt to get people behind some upcoming legislation or rule changes. I definitely believe it was done as distraction from snowden, NSA/Prism and the economy. I believe they will take advantage of it to some means.

I am also quite disgusted by the comments I read on social media.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

To respond to your question, I would have to say, I don't care about this trial. I hope you don't consider this off topic as it seems you may only be interested in those with a vested interest.

As per my post in the "Zimmerman found not guilty" thread, I commented that this farce of a trial serves more of a distraction or side show, while other issues go with a fraction of attention they deserve.

The death of youth is always tragic and the perceived success or failure of the justice system is certainly important, but in my perspective there are many other stories that deserve your attentention.

This only served to distract the masses. To further this point, I have CNN on now and they have gone from the medium circus surrounding the trial to making headline news that dead of a glee star.....

Come on people, wake up a smell the media manipulation.

OP I apologize in advance if you feel I have gone to far off on a tangent and I appreciate any leeway.

Regards

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by MountainLaurel

I guess my question is DO people really care as much as is being reported, how much does the media influence WHAT people care about?

This trial if nothing else proved how powerful and manipulative the news media is, most people sadly don't know they are being manipulated, I really wasn't emotionally invested in this case but I did keep informed.

I think like always the public responses and watching the way humanity reacts was the real story.
newsbusters.org...

edit on 083131p://bSunday2013 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

I didn't care either way, as I live in the south and the death of teens due to violence is a thing that happens all the time, they get shot in the streets by gangs, they commit crimes in which they either kill or get killed so is everyday life for some.

But what it got me interested was the Fact that with so many issues facing our nation with corruption and scandals the government decided to make this case an issue in order to control public opinion while giving them a racial "thing" to fight for and forget the worst things happening, from Obamacrap downfall to all the other scandals affecting the nations citizens

What a shame, that people are fighting for the wrong things this days, no wonder our nation is been run and taking over by tugs, thieves and corruption.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

I cared because I saw the media spinning in every direction just to make a man guilty by any and all means in the court of public opinion. But I guess they don’t teach, “Innocent until proven guilty”, in school anymore. That grated my nerve, and it the last one I have left.

Then I started to care even more as I saw more and more sheeple jump on the MSM bandwagon, following so-called leaders like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, while at the same time slinging racist crap at whoever disagreed with them.

I guess facts don’t matter anymore.

And it is continuing.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I watched the trial for a few reasons ....

- It was a good distraction from my health issues.
- It was interesting to see how everything works (or doesn't work) in the justice system.

I wasn't emotionally invested.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Yes, I do believe this case is a distraction from other issues. Again I don't dismiss the tragedy or the racial implications, but overwhelming the airways with this story seems out of proportion and only seems to fan the fuels of misplaced "passion" that could be used to address much bigger issues. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't believe people are as racist as the media might imply.

In the US we elected a black president, in fact I voted for him the first time. Now if I say he is a "big fat liar" am I somehow racist? No, I'm not, and I'm not going to tip toe around the facts of anything based on race. This whole "divide and conquer" nonsense has to be acknowledged by all of us, everywhere. I would Love to hear from some of our black ATS members, does it not piss you off that the media is portraying black people as being so ignorant they are going to riot over this case? Does it not piss you off that our first black president betrayed us ALL?

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   

portraying black people as being so ignorant they are going to riot over this case?

I thought about that too, I did watch as the media set up in front of the protestors, more media than protestors were present, chomping at the bit for a riot.

It was insulting to the black community.

here are some head lines from the Daily mail, one said American erupts over not guilty verdict, LOL, I must have missed it, another,

How George Zimmerman's failed dream of becoming a police officer and his desperate desire to 'do good' turned a 'kind and calm' teenager into a killer.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Zimmerman represented a man that had had enough......and the race churners, liberals, several sorts of "defenders of the black race" just cant have that. It took a long time to get whites beaten down sufficient to where they thought they had the abuse coming, that being violated was simply an aspect of life we had to live with because of the history of the black man in this country. One man who was even called a "white Hispanic" to make the fit, standing up for himself and his home....why we just have that. They cant have what could best be called "institutionalized/socialized and culturally accepted criminalization" challenged by anyone.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Sadly that's one of the legacies of our first black president he dares to come publicly and take sides on a local state issue sparking racial tensions, because it was good cover up for the scandals in the white house, Where was he when two teens were killed in my neck of the woods walking on the street a few months back, one was 14 and the other 16, or when was he when thousands of young black Americans get killed due to gang relate violence.

The Zimmerman case was made into a racial issue because it was at the right time and the right place.

edit on 14-7-2013 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I would have to agree with you. I wouldn't say I was emotionally invested. I LOVE law (shouldda been a litigator) and thought it was wonderful that we could watch (with the world) our justice system at work in such a high profile case.

The only time I was emotionally invested was in the beginning, when a kid had been shot, and no one was arrested for it. Once Zimmerman was arrested, my concern in the case became purely legal.

I don't think this was a deliberate distraction from other things in the country or the world. The pleas from the parents, etc., moved it to the media and they took it from there. It was an interesting case.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
I watched the trial for a few reasons ....

- It was a good distraction from my health issues.
- It was interesting to see how everything works (or doesn't work) in the justice system.

I wasn't emotionally invested.

And a brilliant job you did at keeping posters informed, I read one of your last post on he subject, it was amazingly well done, should have a topic of its own instead of being lost in that long thread.

here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

get well soon.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I plan to respond to everyone individually. I wasn't emotionally invested like I got out of my chair and cheered when the verdict was read. But I must be emotionally invested somehow, or I wouldn't be in threads, trying to "defend" Zimmerman from what I saw as media lies right? And it's also not that I was angrily pounding at the keyboard either, but I did feel a little angry when I saw people saying things I felt was unfair. But why? I have laid in bed, trying to sleep, but keep thinking, curse of an insomniac thinker. I still haven't answered it myself. I have seen people lied to about the media before, but something about this one just kept drawing me in. The same way the thread of the aurora shooting did, and I don't know why I was drawn to that case either. Maybe I am falling for the manipulation of the MSM, even though I killed my TV.

Oh another thing popped into my head. I am native north american, but I look white. I have been acused of being a white racist before. That might have solidified it more, being able to relate to Zimmerman.
edit on Sun, 14 Jul 2013 09:12:45 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I don't know how emotionally invested I've been simply due to how many non-stop crisis TPTB insure are running at any given moment, in several areas at once these days. It doesn't leave much energy for each.

Still... As a CCW permit holder myself, my interest has simply been from a 'There but for the Grace of God go I..." feeling and seeing how this all turned out and developed in the state that basically came up with the modern day Castle Doctrine so many states have followed.

Now that it's over (Well...pending possible Federal civil rights charges anyway) it's been worth seeing and well worth following to the end. I guess it didn't change much on my own position in self defense tho. Basically, even in a good shooting, the shooter IS going to jail ..as we saw here. The question is simply whether one stays there or not based on justified status of the shooting.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
It doesn't directly affect me. I don't give a # about it

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join