It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

True Facts About The Mantis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Tales of nature you will not see on PBS or the Discovery channel
For good reason. This is why many artists draw aliens as bugs.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 05:38 AM
link   
I love this guy.

This can't be for real right...

Right?

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Skaffa

Wow things I did not know and am not sure I want to now. Much more difficult to be a male duck than I ever imagined.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Skaffa

The march of the Mallards.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

if a mantis eats an insect with a stinger they can gingerly eat around it or they stick it in their mouth and spit it out.

they can bite and it is very painful when they do.

they can consume at least a table spoon of water every few days.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Dude, wtf was that?!

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. Thanks for sharing that Mantis video! However I'm afraid I will never be able to look at a duck the same way again.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   
To be honest, The Mantis scares the freaking living daylights out of me. I mean, I'm literally terrified in the presence of this particular insect. I've had two dramatic "incidents" with the Mantis and both involved me pulling over on the side of the highway, busting out of my car and running away.

But thank you for allowing me my first-ever opportunity to laugh and look at a Mantis simultaneously.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by votan

if a mantis eats an insect with a stinger they can gingerly eat around it or they stick it in their mouth and spit it out.

they can bite and it is very painful when they do.

they can consume at least a table spoon of water every few days.

Interesting information I did not know. I personally love them, I think they are elegant insects, also beautiful to look at. Vicious buggers though. Thanks for the reply

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Laup69
I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. Thanks for sharing that Mantis video! However I'm afraid I will never be able to look at a duck the same way again.

I know! That one got me too. One of the many things on ATS you wish you could unsee and unknow.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthLover557
To be honest, The Mantis scares the freaking living daylights out of me. I mean, I'm literally terrified in the presence of this particular insect. I've had two dramatic "incidents" with the Mantis and both involved me pulling over on the side of the highway, busting out of my car and running away.

But thank you for allowing me my first-ever opportunity to laugh and look at a Mantis simultaneously.

You are most welcome.
According to votan they do bite and it is painful, something I did not know, in which case running is probably an appropriate action. The babies are way creepy looking in that video. Glad you got a laugh.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
O my. You just made my otherwise cruddy day with those videos. thank you for giving me some laughs today

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Can't watch the video now but I will later when I get home.

Last summer, we had dozens of them in our backyard and we were able to catch one in one of my kids insect jars. We were feeding it grasshoppers and they really really like them, I saw a mantis eat 5 hoppers in one hour. The darn thing was huge though!! like 4-5 inches long.

Here's a picture of it! They are a bit scary to look at but I find them fascinating at the same time.

Sorry if the pic is blurry but its from my cell phone....nough said

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
finally watched the video...pretty good....loved the ending

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Teye22

Glad you enjoyed it. Nice pic of a really fat mantis,
He must have thought you were Gods.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I ran into a few of this guys vids.
I never realized they were made by the same guy till I ran into this thread. Duh...

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Dam I need to get me a smart phone, and start texting, then I just may qualify as being human.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
True facts about the angler fish.

The people at the end of the vid, who have a pet angler fish in there aquarium. Dam! Kind of like the people who keep snakes as pets and feed them live mice.

new topics

top topics

join