It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay Marriage around the World

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Mods not sure if this is the right place feel free to move as needed.

Ive been reading some of US gay marriage threads and people talking about how much bigotry there in the US because this is a issue. I thought perhaps we should look how other countries handle Gay Marriage around the world.

China- The country with the most people more then a billion. There must be alot of gays there. Can they get married?
Nope China's psychiatric community still considers homosexuality an illness.

Lets look at the middle east for a bit. I dont even have to get into if gay marriage is legal in these countries. But this is the law regarding gays

Iran-Homosexuality is illegal, those charged with love-making are given a choice of four deathstyles: being hanged, stoned, halved by a sword, or dropped from the highest perch. According to Article 152

Libya- Homosexual activity is illegal, punished with 3 to 5 years imprisonment

Saudi Arabia- Has a sodomy law, homosexual acts are subject to a maximum penalty of death. Sodomy is proved either by the culprit confessing four times or by the testimony of four trustworthy Muslim men. If there are less than four witnesses or one of them is not trustworthy, they are all to be punished with 80 lashes (a slave 40) for slander.

Egypt- Egyptian law does not explicitly refer to homosexuality, but a wide range of laws covering obscenity and public morality are punishable by jail terms. But many people have gone to jail for homosexual activity.

Some other Muslim countries

Pakistan- Homosexual activity is illegal, punishable with life in prison, and corporal punishment of 100 lashes, while Islamic law, which also can be enforced legally, calls for up to 100 lashes or death by stoning.

Sudan-. Homosexual activity is illegal, punishable by 100 lashes or death

Yemen- Homosexual activity is forbidden, punishable by death

Alright lets leave the Muslim countries alone for awhile

Japan-Japanese psychiatrists have now declared same-sex orientation is not a mental illness.
Thats a step in the right direction. Gay Marriage though nope.

Spain-Gay couples have no official status except in Catalonia, but barring them from adopting children or receiving inheritance benefits.

South Africa-The Pretoria High Court in South Africa ruled Friday that same-sex couples had the same right as opposite-sex couples to adopt children, however recently a petition for same-sex marriage has been denied.

Italy-A few cities have taken the symbolic step of creating a register for unmarried couples, but the measures carry no legal weight.

I could go on but I wont ,I think the point is clear we are some close minded bigots here in the US.

usmarriagelaws.com... /alternative_lifestyles/same_sex_marriage/gay_laws_around_the_world_/index.shtml

www.middleeastinfo.org...

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Wow Shadow!

You set some high standards to compare yourselves with there!

(BTW Europe is drawing up a policy right now.....probably a pan-European civil legal proceedure for inheritance, pension rights etc as a minimum standard, whether the individual countries go beyond this, as some already have and some are planning already, will be up to them.

Patience, it's happening.)

[edit on 9-11-2004 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I love how you compare Gay rights issues with communist, dictatorship countries, most of which are so sexually repressed they require woman to be completely covered in public.

That would be the opposite sex!

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Gays in the UK will soon be able to have Civil Partnerships, i think we're going in the right direction along with Europe

We lag behind so many European and Commonwealth countries such as France, Belgium, Sweden, Canada and Germany by not giving legal recognition to gay relationships, and it is time that these relationships be recognised

vision.york.ac.uk...

[edit on 9-11-2004 by Snoopdopey]

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Supreme Court of Canada Begins Same Sex Hearings

But then again some americans think Canada is a "communist" country.

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   
What when did Japan, Italy, Spain become "communist, dictatorship countries"? I picked alot of Muslim countries to show the far end of the spectrum. Heck Gay marriage is not even legal in all parts of Canada. I could have added many more to the list.

I never hear anybody complain about countries like China, Heck they might be leading the world into the future as the next super power. Being gay is still a "illness" there how great it will be for gay people in the world then.

new topics

top topics

join