It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the American culture suffering from PTSD. (And is it intentional?)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I have a friend who was an ecletic (more than one field/branch)psychologist for over 20 years, and I asked him if he believed with everything that is going on in this country, did he believe the case could be made that this country is suffering from PTSD. I was astounded at how fast he answered "yes, but good luck getting someone not on the dole or connected with the system to admit that as a viable diagnosis." I myself took psychology for a couple of years before I realized how inundated the field is with behaviorists, and in order to get any kind of degree, I would have to "play ball" irregardless of how I felt about the subject matter, and hence quit the field. ( i don't believe "healers" should have to dance due to political correctness.)

What made me come to this startling hypothesis is the obvious lack of catharsis from the America people, concerning several recent news stories that have yet to be resolved, AND their apparent lack of ever finding resolution. These stories are: Benghazi, IRS targeting political oppositions, unconstitutional NSA intel gathering, and a fourth that currently escapes my mind, my apologies. But for discussions' sake, let's say the obvious impotence of the left/right paradigm. (IOW Repubs/Libs two sides same coin. zero accountability. Erosion of society's mores/columns.)

Some of you may immediately question this kind of thread with the adage "This has always happened, nothing new here." I have to disagree with this one question; Has it always happened to THIS degree, regularity & intensity? Any of these stories, by themselves, imho, should be "generational defining moments; JFK assassination, etc. Instead they are merely "just news stories", and that's the point! And not only that, but they're still unresolved. (and may never see any kind of resolution/conclusion.

PTSD, or Posttraumatic Stress Disorder, is a psychiatric disorder that can occur following the experience or witnessing of a life-threatening events such as military combat, natural disasters, terrorist incidents, serious accidents, or physical or sexual assault in adult or childhood. Most survivors of trauma return to normal given a little time. However, some people will have stress reactions that do not go away on their own, or may even get worse over time. These individuals may develop PTSD. People who suffer from PTSD often relive the experience through nightmares and flashbacks, have difficulty sleeping, and feel detached or estranged, and these symptoms can be severe enough and last long enough to significantly impair the person’s daily life.

This the definition, found here for PTSD. While trying to find an article from the intelhub on "perpetual war", the only thing I found was an infowars article relating to it, yet the original article is no longer showing up. So here is the gist of what was declared through Congress.

New Authorization of Worldwide War Without End? Congress may soon vote on a new declaration of worldwide war without end, and without clear enemies. A “sleeper provision” deep inside defense bills pending before Congress could become the single biggest hand-over of unchecked war authority from Congress to the executive branch in modern American history. President Obama has not sought new war authority. In fact, his administration has made clear that it believes it already has all of the authority that it needs to fight terrorism. But Congress is considering monumental new legislation that would grant the president – and all presidents after him – sweeping new power to make war almost anywhere and everywhere. Unlike previous grants of authority for the Afghanistan and Iraq wars, the proposed legislation would allow a president to use military force wherever terrorism suspects are present in the world, regardless of whether there has been any harm to U.S. citizens, or any attack on the United States, or any imminent threat of an attack. The legislation is broad enough to permit a president to use military force within the United States and against American citizens. The legislation contains no expiration date, and no criteria to determine when a president’s authority to use military force would end. Of all of the powers that the Constitution assigns to Congress, no power is more fundamental or important than the power “to declare War.” That is why, in 2002, when Congress was considering whether to authorize war in Iraq, it held fifteen hearings, and passed legislation that cited specific harms, set limits, and defined a clear objective. Now, Congress is poised to give unchecked authority to the executive branch to use military force worldwide, with profoundly negative consequences for our fundamental democratic system of checks and balances. Once Congress expands the president’s war power, it will be nearly impossible to rein it back in. The ACLU strongly opposes a wholesale turnover of war power from Congress to the president – and all of his successors.

www.aclu.org...

Now comes the scary thought that made me post this thread. We know that after Sandy Hook, there was a movement to make getting guns harder for those that are mentally unfit, incompetent, etc, which, on the surface sounds fantastic.

But what if EVERYONE in this country is mentally unfit?

Amer icans' Use of Antidepressants On the Rise: Study

Anxiety Drug Use Soars in Past Decade

And what if everything that has happened in the past six months isn't merely "boiling frog syndrome", but a more nefarious, drawn out process to back door the end of the 2nd amendment? Think it crazy?

Take Xanax, Lose Your Guns?

As a society, we love our medications, our happy lil "quick fixes" We love it so much we call those that disagree with vaccinations "unfit parents". (Even if they're forced, like the HPV in TX)

So lets not combine these two questions, hence muddying up the waters. The questions, being separate, are thus:

Does America suffer from a form of PTSD?

And if so, is it intentional?

FWIW, I'm looking at this from a social viewpoint standard, not a tin-foil hat standard. Thank you for your consideration.
edit on Tue Jul 9 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: source added

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
So because nobody is excited about a few low level scandals they all have PTSD? For that matter when have people ever gotten excited about low level scandals, Some times if they can be directly tied to a President they stir some interest like with Nixon. Clinton getting a BJ again was a popular one, and we all know why. However otherwise minor scandals come and go with every administration and people do not get to upset.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrSpad
So because nobody is excited about a few low level scandals they all have PTSD? For that matter when have people ever gotten excited about low level scandals, Some times if they can be directly tied to a President they stir some interest like with Nixon. Clinton getting a BJ again was a popular one, and we all know why. However otherwise minor scandals come and go with every administration and people do not get to upset.

Wow. You and I really differ on the opinion of "low level scandals". I sure hope to God that most don't take that attitude. An ambassador to the US was left to die due to politics. (Or it being a black op, the jury is still out) The IRS targeting individuals of a different political mindset. (Clearly not only illegal but immoral) AND the NSA not having/showing probably cause on millions of US citizens for their metadata & Verizon just rolling over saying "We had our orders" which didn't work very well with the Nazi's at Nuremberg. (And yes I went there.)

It would appear that common law is gone, to be replaced with politics and the "opinion" of the people according to what day/flavor it is & political correctness.

Unacceptable.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
mrspad is trolling for ptsd responses. heh heh

i think ats can cause ptsd because it's constant negativity with people coming up with ideas like pre-crime trials for religious people, religions killing each other, nazis, facists, communists, kkk, racists, etc. i actually have to unplug from it and go do something positive, just to rebalance my emotional and mental state.

the impetus seems to be to get people to revolt, particularly in the usa. which i think is just an invitation to get our collective butts handed to us on a silver platter. that all by itself can be stressful. when the brain is stressed, it lowers intelligence also. so more emotional responses result instead of wise choices.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by undo

the impetus seems to be to get people to revolt, particularly in the usa. which i think is just an invitation to get our collective butts handed to us on a silver platter. that all by itself can be stressful. when the brain is stressed, it lowers intelligence also. so more emotional responses result instead of wise choices.

With all these cases, and much much more, (I didn't want to make this OP ten pages long) I think the case could easily be made that the legislators in this country that don't enforce the law unilaterally, (read those that have money don't see jail, or those that enforce the law don't get fired, period.) has increased exponentially in recent years.

How many times have you read someone say on a forum; "I'm more scared of cops now than terrorists"?

I think the point could be made, quite succinctly that "they" are pushing for open, active rebellion. Which, not surprisingly, only adds to my original point.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I agree with your overall notion .

Americans as a collective are suffering from mass Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

It's the only thing I can think of to explain their 'dumbfoundedness'.

I was just reading the DOJ surveilence thread - and the thought passed my mind:

"Chip, Chip - another peice of the Constitution and Bill of Rights gets chisled off..

Then the funny memo of Fry from Futurama - squinting:

"Not sure if Modern America.... Or Germany 1945".

This stuff is serious, believe me! I'm an avid researcher into whistleblowers from the 70's - and by golly they all you you right then what was going on! What the plans for America were! To destabalise the country from within! You have been hijacked by Zions, and they are using America as a sacrificial resource -

Your not the only victim, but you are the main one, in regards to infiltration and subversion.
The Global Revolution has begun, but the Western People are no where to be seen.

Whilst the rest of the globe go about protesting, and protecting their right to freedom, the western world watch on in ponderment.

We are allowing all of our rights to be stripped from us freely - willingly - because otherwise, 'our security is at risk',
Well wake the fek up people, it is at risk! In fact it's gone! And where'd it go? Taken by Lucifer and his minions who have infiltrated our Governments, hid behind the banner of 'democracy and Nationalism', but what they really are is a lineage of international Zions, holding and manipulating the globe's future.

OUR future, and world in which is not inhabited by Humans, but one which serves as a colonial prison planet.
More is at stake here that our materialistic freedoms (although I love those too!) -

But your ability to be a free thinking, living soul is at risk - and it is for all those souls who will incarnate on here.
See past the material aspects and look at it from our 'leaders' points of view - they know *exactly* what ther're doing here - and you had better believe it.

These plans for America were no doubt set in place as soon as the 'New World' was discovered, it's a shame! You had no chance! The Zions had since the beginning of you inception to make you passive.
And now you are only just waking up to this new reality, that of your tyrannical government, self destruction, spiritual warfare.

Shocked. That's how everyone feels. The western world needs to get over this initial 'shock', take action like everybody bloody else. If we don't act now, we'll soon find our selves unable to with all these so called 'security measures'.

On a closing note - I keep tracing these Zions to British monarchy, but all (credable) information stops there.
I can tell you about all their assocaites, and the 'lower ranks', but the trail goes cold Turkey when the source makes that statement.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ObservingYou

In response to your doj surveillance remark, this is now at the top of Drudge.

Linchpin for Obama’s plan to predict future leakers unproven, isn’t likely to work, experts say

So much for "transparency"

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Hmmm,.
Well Maybe America is just too desensitized to care
Howerver for myself,. Im just so disgusted with the corrupt justice system,
fed up with the current puppet/president, and the diversion tactic run media
corporation which feeds the masses. I guess I just dont really care what happens

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Trauma based mind control. Patricia Hearst is a good example. Stockholm Syndrome. Those people who were agreeing (various news on my facebook newsfeed) that the bill of rights should be abolished.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I was a psychology major, and I haven't thought about it in a while, but this is actually something I've thought about before!

After the disasters in the 2000's (9.11, Katrina, Indonesian Tsunami, financial crisis, etc.) and the way our news covered it... it made people feel personally involved with the stories, more than likely, and all of them one after another - I could see it doing that.

You mention this as a reason people are apathetic, this seems to be very likely to have a correlation - if people are exposed to disaster after disaster for a while. I remember in 2001 9.11 actually did have a shock factor that stuff like even Fukashima didn't quite compare to (but it almost did, although if it had happened back then, it would have been a bigger shocker)

And I remember staying up all night listening to Art Bell during hurricane Katrina in order to check and see if the levies had been breached...
edit on 10-7-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

a few low level scandals

I'm speechless...

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Hunter S Thompson argued very convincingly to my mind that 9/11 caused the American nation as a whole to have a breakdown, and that everything since was a sort of collective PTSD case.

So yes, I think I probably agree.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by schadenfreude

Some law enforcement agencies are using PTSD as a means to disarm people.

www.freerepublic.com...

The lady in the article did eventually get her weapons back, but it did take awhile. There is also a push to take control of peoples bank accounts that suffer from PTSD. I really don't think that one will fly.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

Sometimes laughter is the best medicine.

PTSD, or Putting up with TDawgs [Snip] Daily, is a psychiatric disorder that can occur following the experience or daily interaction with TDawg, events such as lack of being politically correct, he IS a natural disaster, being accident prone, or comical (or not) responses to others. Most survivors of trauma return to normal given a little time and no exposure to TDawg. However, some people will have stress reactions that do not go away on their own, or may even get worse over time. These individuals may develop PTSD. People who suffer from PTSD often relive the experience through nightmares and flashbacks, and these symptoms can be severe enough and last long enough to significantly impair the person’s daily life, namely TDawgs.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
How are people stressed from these things? while 9/11 is nothing?

wow... political biases is impossible to gauge!

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
PTSD, borderline, sociopathy.

The weaker are more likely to be under the spell of PTSD.

The more adaptive, usually females, have become borderline.

The more risking, usually males, have become sociopaths.

Welcome to your "new world order".

"You're either with us or against us", as in, you either become psycho-esque, and continue on, else remain shocked, and bound to a lower-potential spell.

edit on 10-7-2013 by QuantriQueptidez because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

Only people here could call the murder of 4 Americans to include a full rank, sitting Ambassador and the over-run and total destruction of a US Diplomatic facility a "low level scandal".

Good God..what would a major scandal be? A bioweapon popping off in times square?

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

I think you're missing the entire point here.

Of course 9/11 is serious, although it's not the point of this thread.

It's the continually unresolved, high profile crimes; both against high-ranking individuals, and this country itself,(hence a violation of all of us) that repeatedly go unresolved.

I'm no shrink, but when you have ppl AGREEING with cops that literally get away with murder, and support those that commit it, AND ppl agreeing that the bill of rights should be repealed,(and what the hell, throw in common law too) then what you have is a split in the nation's conscience. You have either those that suffer from some form of ptsd. (my opinion) OR you have cognitive dissonance on a MASSIVE scale.

There's simply no other logical reason for what's going on in this country.

Our founding father's went to war with less than 10% of the nation on their side, (Based on what I remember from my history lessons) and they did it against the superpower of the entire world at that time. And they did it for FAR LESS than what we are going through now.

Reading through some of these posts, I'll have to agree, and it's an ugly thing to say, but I'll have to agree that I honestly believe that some of us have actually been "stockholmed".

Perpetual war, TSA, NSA, molesting of our children at airports, if you see something, say something, over-medication, common law in the toilet, legislature from the bench, racism at an all-time high thanks to race baiters, 50% of Americans on some kind of govt. assistance....

I could go on for an hour, literally.

The POINT is, and it's probably the saddest summation I've ever made here on ATS in my brief time here is thus; I don't believe Americans know HOW to be "free" any more!

So, am I doing this for political points? No. But nothing will be solved until we realize that this isn't how it's supposed to be.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Not sure I agree, PTSD as a country? Seems a pretty far out there idea, even for ATS. And intentional PTSD at that? The entire OP is not really making any sense whatsoever.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Yes but that's not all.

Avoidant Personality Disorder with some cluster B associated with it. Cluster B (dramatic)
Antisocial, Borderline, Histrionic, Narcissistic

I believe it stems from several sources besides just cultural programming. Diet and EMF pollution is a factor as well.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join