It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IRS mistakenly posted 100,000 Social Security numbers to gov't website

page: 1

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
If this doesn't beat all !!

The IRS has admitted that 10's of thousands maybe even 100,000 Social Security numbers were 'mistakenly' posted on a govt website.

Apparently an independent group was 'auditing' something else and discovered the problem.

The IRS took down the site and is investigating.

Well I think this is totally unacceptable .......

High paid incompetence is being exposed practically by the day and still they persist.

I say set an example for once.

Make all responsible for this pay. I don't care if was an 'honest' mistake or deliberate.

Hang 'Em High from the yardarms !!!

The IRS mistakenly posted the Social Security numbers of tens of thousands of Americans on a government website, the agency confirmed Monday night. One estimate put the figure as high as 100,000 names.

The numbers were posted to an IRS database for tax-exempt political groups known as 527s and first discovered by the group Public.Resource.org.

The California-based group said it learned of the "privacy breach" Tuesday while working on an unrelated audit of an “improperly vetted shipment” of IRS data on DVDs and promptly informed the agency, which shut down the site the next day.
IRS does it again !

Maybe Americans should take the 'Que'.....
( The Bangles Walk Like An Egyptian )

edit on Jul-09-2013 by xuenchen because:

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Reminds me of the Norwegian tax portal which made everyone log into the account of one guy.
At least they admitted it and paid a hefty compensation.

If they had the same data audits as we do in the VISA system, most government entities would have failed miserably.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I wonder so how many screw ups does it take before people think hey, " Abolish the IRS. ' ?

Abolish the IRS get rid of SS numbers all together.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
The amount of moronic errors will just continue, unfortunately. I really wish we could get this farcical agency abolished.
Just wait, these are the Obamacare enforcers it will get much much worse and they will keep ruining more lives.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
This is the problem with absolute power and control. They make screw ups like this but want to be in charge of every piece of life data there is for a person.

"Oops"

"Sir, I accidentally sent out 100 million peoples bank pins, SIN and credit card numbers in an email to North Korea that was supposed to warn them to shut down their nuclear program."

"Damn. Is that how they got the lights turned on? I was wondering what that charge of Jooyn Woo Power Corp was on my Mastercard..."

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

If the error level that is admitted to by the government is about the same as visible
cockroaches; and the compression ratio is like paper gold certificates, >100:1 ---
how safe do you feel about leaving your oyster crackers out overnight NOW, Marg?

Even better yet, how many 'accidental on purpose' jobs are there as a percentage
of screwups? You know the Great Deceiver loves to poke tiny holes in new bike tire
tubes... or can we simply count on something gone inbred and evil at the same time
getting noticeably more inept? If the latter I hope the next budget breakdown can buy
some new MIDI cables for Blaster, because Master's about to get pitched into a spit
bucket in an active corner.See "Mad Max: Thunderdome"

Disorder Out of Chaos. Perfect, self perpetuating and beyond unrepairable for decades.
This is all turning into something like the Three Stooges with pitchforks, WTF???

And I just can't resist the carrot.. I live for this---
Can you imagine the same data integrity and security with something unimportant--
like the launch codes? I respectfully submit by the last prospect that we are today
devolved as possible without total idiotic annihilation.

edit on 9-7-2013 by derfreebie because: Typical typo the three n's: noob, numbskull, Niburu

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
There is one thing to note about this. What sort of compensation will these individuals receive? I think a changed SS number would be appropriate. Have they ever done something like changing an SS # for someone who's security was breached by the guv?

Otherwise, the SS#'s of those people that were exposed to the public better be heavily monitored by the best ID theft protection the guv has to offer for the rest of their lives(at no charge to any one of them)!

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Well as far as 'credit monitoring' is concerned ....

Remember that big breach last year in S. Carolina ?

They agreed to pay for one year of monitoring for the 'victims'.

That's a lot of money going to private firms involved in credit monitoring.

I bet some outfit was hired by those big firms to hack and jack.

Big money involved.

How many times have we heard stories of sabotage in order to get contracts ?

It's the old "create the problem and then offer the solution" gag

The security breach will be costly for the state, which hired a private cyber security firm to block the attack and to install new equipment and software at the Revenue Department. The state also promised to pay for one year of credit monitoring and identity theft protection for those affected.

3.6 million Social Security numbers hacked in S.C.

Maybe there are 'moles' inside the IRSS.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Just reeks of Big Bad Government out of Control.

I'm starting to get Numb to this..................

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   

I was just guessing that they would have to hire security firms to monitor their status. Scary. More waste by things they should have noticed before that website was even deployed!

With as many shortcomings as there are lately, where's it all headed? How many more security breaches will be exposed?

The system has gotten to big for it to even manage itself. I think all the citizens affected should at least sue. Not sue for protection, which they will supposedly receive. I think that put all of those people's personal security at risk. They should sue for damages.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 02:30 AM
link   

What is this social security number you speak of? What is taxes?

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by iam6degrees

What is this social security number you speak of? What is taxes?

What ?

:shk:

google can help you !!

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Is anyone really surprised at the complete stupidity of people and their actions in Govt agencies??????

These things are just becoming more and more normal, like the GSA partying it up at conferences, or many other agencies doing the same.

Can't wait till there are more IRS agents to help with enforcing 0bamacare, just think how many more screw-ups will happen.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I'm surprised that everyone thinks it's a "screw up". The SSN's just happen to be the numbers for members of the 527 groups that were targeted by the IRS to begin with, this smells of payback for the IRS getting caught in the first place.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Series of 9 numbers isn't a big problem unless there are names to go with it. I could take my own number as reference, and like spinning a combination lock, try every number until something came around that resembled some stranger's number; it's no secret that the Social Security numbers have a system to them, and there are only ten digits to try with, not the alphabet last I checked. Even technically if someone were to take a SS card and put their own name and number on it that's still a fake so that's why holding the document of the SS card is important and that it was issued by the authorities.

The context of use is important too. Just because someone is exposed to a number doesn't mean that they will remember it, find a valid use for it, or even bother to use it against its intended design. A security breach of numbers on the Internet now is about the same risk as finding an IRS employee that will sell company data. That's all of them -- here's the source*. That's like keeping your driver license record safe from the motor vehicle department's pickpockets -- you can't, they'll break their laws when they decide to. Just fathom how many foreign countries have gotten their spies in and out of the computers without leaving a trace, and this was the one that got publicized. It could have been a frame-up sabotage.

The numbers were designed to be shared otherwise they'd be printed with invisible ink.

But you know if my number was on that list I'd like a new number just for the novelty of it, to avoid the exhaustive security measures to track down where they went.

*IRS sells "Meanwhile, the IRS website on August 4, 2012, began selling Form W­12 information... email addresses, phone numbers, professional credentials, and websites on a CD for just $35. " says Mr. Starkman.
edit on 11-7-2013 by Sandalphon because: I-opener-RS

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   
IRS lost my 2012 return.
I e-filed on 4/15, federal received 4/16, but they lost in their system.
I had to print a hardcopy of the form and mail it in. It will be August before my refund check arrives.
Make sure to get copies of everything you send to them.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by tyfon
If they had the same data audits as we do in the VISA system, most government entities would have failed miserably.

Unfortunately, there are idiots in every organization and every system.
Idiots are just so darn creative.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Why is the SS#'s being stored on the web server?? When people fill out web forms online and provide that information in a data form it should be encrypted and sent to a secured data server away from the web server. It should never be contained in a directory on the web server that's probably chmod 777 to begin with. LOL A web server should also be in a DMZ subnet all itself away from the rest of the network.

new topics

top topics

join