It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*Audio* Students turn NSA recruiting session into a HEARING

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
This audio is awesome. Kudos to the students, and S&F to the OP for bringing it to my attention. I sincerely appreciate the efforts all around.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

It's more than that and if you've looked at how the documents are presented on the Guardian, they are in a tabled viewer. The Office of Management and Budget has actually stated that the actual blocking of websites, like Wikileaks, is ill-advised. It's purely about classification protocols being followed. This actually came up in the press in regards to Wikileaks: www.cnn.com...

It's basically extreme rule following in regards to classified documents, regardless of whether they are available to the public or not. Just because it's "out" doesn't automatically declassify something but any member of the DoD who views it would be breaching rules in regards to unauthorized access to information and the computer used would have to be "cleaned". So it IS also part headache but unauthorized access policies/penalties have been in place long before computers were a mainstay within the DoD. I think the earliest law may be the Defense Secrets Act of 1911. It's long been criminalized to a. gain unauthorized access to classified material and b. retain possession of the above in an unauthorized location. The intent was originally to prevent espionage but it gets kind of ridiculous when, like I said, it's all over the press.
Current law: codes.lp.findlaw.com...

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:19 AM
link   
I only listened to a little bit of it, but I see it like this...

If our government were not corrupt, if our people were all altruistic. If businessman and politicians, and citizens alike all desired the best for this nation, and did not deviate from such a path, if everything were the best they could possibly be.. Do you think that spying on other countries should not be done? Are you inherently against spying or against it because you know we DO have a corrupt government?

I am too new to start a new thread on this, but I would like to hear opinions on this question.

Do you believe it to be necessary to monitor communications globally to protect citizens within your own country?
Justify your reply, why is it a good thing? Why is it a bad thing?

Personally, I believe that is is important that each nation protects itself the best it can. There is evil everywhere, unfortunately at home just as much as foreign. I think if "spying" is done correctly, it can save lives. I also believe if the term "spying" is used to loosely, it infringes upon our rights, and threatens us in a worse manner than any amount of saving that could be done based on intercepting foreign ( and domestic ) communications..

Let me know your thoughts!

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by deadlyhope

In my opinion, my government (who are also conspiring against the people of my land to usurp thier rights via spurious surveillance of all of us) have no business to monitor us without probable cause, purely because the people have not indicated that they are happy to live under such a scheme. This is un-democratic. So, first of all, no one asked our permission to do these things, and given that our people are supposed to be self governing, with parliament in thier role as the voicebox of our nation, this will never sit right with me. However, the government have long ceased to actually represent us, so there is that can of worms there as well.

But you know, your quesiton IS important. If my government had, for the last five or six PMs worth of governments, behaved in a way which was totally transparent, and utterly above board, leaving our nation in a position of moral authority governmentally, and leaving the people favourable to it, then perhaps I would only be monumentally angry about all this, rather than in various stages of volcanic rage on this matter.

Perhaps if there had been no dodgy dossiers, illegal wars, abuses of power in Westminister, expenses scandals, cash for votes, money and power being united rather than being correctly seperated, if we had not had undercover officers being used as agent provocateurs in protest groups, using the names of dead children to cover themselves, and so on and so forth, then I could swallow it.

But no person or organisation should have such power as is given them by a near universal access to peoples private data, save for a person or organisation which is so utterly respectable and correct in all its dealings, that no genuine greivance can be bought against it. If such a thing exists on this Earth, then the government of Great Britain is certainly not it, and I would wager that the government of the United States of America is no better in this regard. Both systems are flawed, not truely representative of the views and needs of the people, neither system seeming prepared to offer alternatives to the same old game that has been played in the halls of power in these great nations for generations.

These are not goverments which can be trusted with these vast stores of secret knowledge, for every power they wield they abuse in time. If it were not the case, perhaps the idea of these universal monitoring policies would not inspire such negaitivity. Perhaps if we were already living in Utopia, with virtually no crime, no poverty, no corruption and no layers of filth between innocence and truth, then to protect THAT we could swallow these methods. But no one on this planet lives under such a system as to be so trusted. No one who possesses power on this Earth can be trusted to behave honourably with this level of knowledge of peoples lives.
edit on 18-7-2013 by TrueBrit because: Spelling

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by eLPresidente
Amazing, I'm so proud of these students who are keeping these people on their toes.

These NSA surrogates are having an extremely tough time answering their questions, the credibility is shot.

soundcloud.com... soundcloud.com%2Fmadiha-1%2Fstudents-question-the-nsa-at

As much as I do NOT agree with what the NSA is doing, mostly behind the public backs.....I think the "reporter", if you want to call her that, is completely out of place.

The first 5 minutes were fine, but after that, it was quite obvious that no matter WHAT the poor NSA employees were going to say, they were going to be 'heckled'.

Having gone through college, it is quite obvious that a few students agreed beforehand to attend this recruitment thing, with the complete objective of making a point, and recording it, instead of actually being curious about the employment opportunities of NSA.

There is a time and place for everything, and I really don't see why the NSA employees deserved this.

Again, the first 5 minutes were fine. I have NO issues with that. However, when the girl who is recording and asking the questions KEEPS going, and just wants to make her point above even actual discussion, I don't see what she accomplished.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join