It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

milky way may have 60 BILLION habitable worlds

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Badgered1
99% of all species that have ever lived on this planet are extinct. The Earth's flora and fauna have shown immense diversity, and a habit of popping up in the most unexpected ways and places. Life can exist in the oddest places in the oddest forms. Humans have been around just a few thousand years and we've been doing a great job of making a planet that's relatively inhospitable to us more so.

Intelligent life on a distant world wouldn't necessarily take the bipedal form we expect. They possibly wouldn't look like us, think like us, act like us.

The most intelligent thing they could do is stay as far away from Earth humans as possible.
We're not very nice. We do despicable things to each other. We destroy that which keeps us alive in the name of profit (spelled, "Progress"!). We attack those who look/believe differently.
We really can't be nice to each other consistently. We allow our fellow humans to starve to death. We treat some animals slightly better (some we give names to; others we eat; the rest we just destroy their habitat - again in the name of progress).

If there's intelligent life on distant worlds that is capable of space travel, it would be best for them to just leave us to perish.

We won't be nice to them. Sooner or later someone will want to corrupt them in some way. Perhaps based in greed. Perhaps based on a poorly thought out belief system (we have a ton of those). Perhaps based on purposefully implanted fears. Perhaps just to show we're number one and a big bully. We'll find a way to make them unwelcome. We're really good at that. We have agendas.

If they are stronger, more intelligent, and/or scientifically advanced than we are, we'll find a way to lie to them.
If they are less strong, less intelligent, and/or scientifically less advanced than we are (although interstellar travel eludes us), we'll find a way to exploit them.

If I were an interstellar traveler and studied Earth for a couple of years, I'd go home without making contact.
I don't disagree with the odds, I just feel that they could do a lot better by taking any kind of contact elsewhere.

Yes, this is quite negative. However, look back at the history of humankind and you'll find examples of where we've been total bastards to each other. Off-world 'people'? Forgeddaboutit.

edit on 2-7-2013 by Badgered1 because: clarity

awesome post. I too believe why would they want us when we cant even get along with each other...why would they want to unite with us when we cannot even unite with our own planet amongst ourselves. They must have a bigger understanding of what It takes to survive in the cosmos, and they can see we don't have what it takes yet.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
Makes you really consider Star Trek and the Prime Directive. Maybe skeptics like myself are totally wrong, the aliens have been dropping by for centuries but they just don't want to interact yet because we're dumb, backwards barbarians and we ain't gonna see/hear nothing officially until we develop warp drive.

Or because TPTB do not want the current petrol, gas, banks, health system to collapse and keep people away from some discoveries.

When I have nothing to watch I continue watching the endless videos of 'Citizens hearing on disclosure' - now I hear Greer saying about how lots of technology is hidden from public. This is not something he created or discovered I've heard about that from other people. so just because it's Greer saying it, does not mean it is false when he is not the original to say this - he is just repeating what I've watched others say it and those others are not any book writers or publishers to do $$.

I do not doubt that there is technology to do some of those things but for the sake of this wretched system on Earth, no one uses them or public is kept completely with a blind fold. Come on, secrecy of technology exists and in public people can't even go to Mars? Bullcrap.
edit on 2-7-2013 by ImpactoR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xeven
This does not bode well for faster than light space travel. Either its impossible or their is some sort of intergalactic rule of those intelligent faster than light races to not visit or make contact with low tech civilizations. With so much inteeligent life out there we would surely have been contacted by now. I highly doubt there is a no contact rule so that leaves us with faster than light travel and even communication likely being impossible.

Another possibility is that other than us all other life out there is no more intelligent than animals here on earth. I mean in the billions of years eart has existed only ONE living thing can travel in space and use radios.

I think there are rules in place. Just look at earth here, when scientists go out and travel to the remote places of the world all they do is observe and study, trying not to interfere with the environment on whatever species they are studying. They don't go in and readjust their habitat, maybe put in pillows or fans or provide man made food to the animals they study.

The remote tribes that still exist for example, we don't go in there and give them assault rifles, deliver pizza, we pretty much just let them do their own thing, and that's because they are right on our own planet!

It would make sense to have rules in place as to not disturb baby races. Once they feel we are ready maybe they will take us on board and show us how to live in space, in peace and harmony along with the rest of the races.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by H34T533K3R

In order for people to be ready for some technology and secrets revealed they need to permanently break up with nationality and embrace the unification of the world, whether it would be UN or another organization like it. So people need to make the first move and together demand secrets revealed after letting the governments know in a single unified voice - WE ARE READY.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   

They must have a bigger understanding of what It takes to survive in the cosmos, and they can see we don't have what it takes yet.

oh nonsense.
if we could colonize other worlds, there would be no need for the infighting and struggle over resources. keeping us confined here with our myriad viewpoints and belief systems, is like stuffing animals on a farm with a fence and dwindling food and water, while thru the woods, there's a whole new field loaded with resources. the farmer knows the other field is there but doesn't want his animals to get lost and eaten by a predator other than him.

solution: we just don't get lost. he could help us out you know, by giving us a map of the grazing lands (other inhabitable worlds) with info on which might be hostile and etc.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by undo

They must have a bigger understanding of what It takes to survive in the cosmos, and they can see we don't have what it takes yet.

oh nonsense.
if we could colonize other worlds, there would be no need for the infighting and struggle over resources. keeping us confined here with our myriad viewpoints and belief systems, is like stuffing animals on a farm with a fence and dwindling food and water, while thru the woods, there's a whole new field loaded with resources. the farmer knows the other field is there but doesn't want his animals to get lost and eaten by a predator other than him.

solution: we just don't get lost. he could help us out you know, by giving us a map of the grazing lands (other inhabitable worlds) with info on which might be hostile and etc.

We can colonize other worlds now. Its just expensive to do. We know how if we chose to do so. Isbit easy ? Nope

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by undo

oh nonsense.

We can colonize other worlds now. Its just expensive to do. We know how if we chose to do so. Isbit easy ? Nope

hubby did a paper on lunar and asteroid mining. there's trillions of tons of resources, just floating around in space. on the moon, there's helium 3 and platinum, for starters. helium 3 can be processed from lunar soil, with oxygen and water as byproducts. this is no joke. the near earth asteroids are absolutely brimming with resources.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by reject

Oh great 60 million more possible places for us to obliterate each other....HOoray.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   

This does not bode well for faster than light space travel. Either its impossible or their is some sort of intergalactic rule of those intelligent faster than light races to not visit or make contact with low tech civilizations. With so much inteeligent life out there we would surely have been contacted by now. I highly doubt there is a no contact rule so that leaves us with faster than light travel and even communication likely being impossible.

Another possibility is that other than us all other life out there is no more intelligent than animals here on earth. I mean in the billions of years eart has existed only ONE living thing can travel in space and use radios.

Why not? Because those numbers are big? They are big to you, however the numbers that our galaxy and universe work with are FAR bigger. What I'm saying is that you could have access to a device that could instantly get you to any point in the galaxy and you'd still be unable to see it all before you died. When two galaxies collide, the distances between stars is so vast that a lot of nothing happens because the stars don't even hit each other. Also I'm sure you are aware that we are a lot closer to the edge of our galaxy than the center. Heck we are close to the tail of one of the spirals in our galaxy (hence the reason you can see the Milky Way in the sky at night).

What I'm trying to get at, is just because all these civilizations may or may not have developed interstellar travel, does not mean that they would have discovered our small blue dot in the sea of nothingness. That's like trying to find a square quarter-mile island in the middle of the pacific ocean.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Earth is the Kardashians of the Universe. They just set back and watch our antics and laugh at us. We are thier realtiy TV.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   

If we say 5% of 3 billion had developed space travel, would that be a conservative estimate? That would be 150 MILLION space faring worlds.

If we say 5% of 3 billion had developed interstellar travel, would that be a conservative estimate? That would be 7.5 MILLION sources of UFOs.

This makes no sense...

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I just hope we survive technology. What if Mars lost its atmosphere in a huge antimatter explosive war? If we go out into space how many worlds will show that they grew in technology up the point where they destroy themselves? Of course there is the big one the singularity. What if we develop the nano-technology needed to build star ships and then they get out of control?

Imagine we design a nano-technology capable of converting an entire asteroid like the 2 mile wide 1998 QE2 into a star ship for us and by the next time it comes around close to Earth it is ready to occupy but when we try and board the ship the nano-technology starts converting our ships and crew into raw materials to expand the star ship?

Something like these possible outcomes are not unlikely the fate of all advanced civilizations at some point in their technology development phase. We still have not made it out of the atomic age. I do not have a lot of hope we make it out of the nano-technology age and into space but would like to try. Being all sitting in the same place makes our mass extinction as sure as was Mars.

edit on 2-7-2013 by angrymartian because: edited for small errors

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
If ET exists... then time to say hello, and learn from them.
If ET does not exist... then 60 billion planets, divided by 7 billion current population of Earth = 8.57 habitable planets for each person.

I want to populate at least one of MY eight planets with de-extincted dinosaurs.

What do you want to do with your 8 planets?

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by reject

If we say, If we say , If we say or to put it another way Guess,Guess,Guess.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by H34T533K3R
It would make sense to have rules in place as to not disturb baby races. Once they feel we are ready maybe they will take us on board and show us how to live in space, in peace and harmony along with the rest of the races.

It would make sense to me too they let us mature on our own. Becoming spacefaring is a one time event for a civilization, would you want your people to have achieved that on their own or because they got help from another civilization? It's not about pride or anything, but it determines relationships with other civilizations forever. You would be at the galatic decision making table representing your people and everybody would know if it wasn't for 'them' you wouldn't be there. It would haunt humanity of Earth forever, such an important event to mature on their own and it might even create conflict because it might be considered taking away an important oppertunity from a civilization who might not even have asked for it.

I don't believe if such a decision would be made it would be based on feelings but several points on subjects which are present in a civilization or not, it doesn't matter how individuals of a civilization regard such subjects. And ofcourse we would have to have at least a working spaceship/station, like a car and house.

Otherwise they might as well go talk to the bunnies, give them technology like translators to better express themselves and take them aboard specially adapted spacecraft which they can control by their thoughts and you'd have spaceships flying all over the place piloted by the thoughts of bunnies, lines must be drawn I suppose.
edit on 2/7/2013 by Dragonfly79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Life evolving on a planet around a red dwarf would likely be quite different to life on Earth - different light, radiation, etc.

Although there has been life on Earth for ~3,000,000,000 years, there has only been life capable of very limited space travel for 50 years. Extrapolate that out, and whilst life may be common in the galaxy, spacefaring civiisations are still likely to be comparatively rare. We may even be the first. There is currently no evidence that interstellar travelling life has ever existed. For 2,999,999,950 years that life existed on Earth, it was incapable of even getting a man into orbit ......

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Kody27

that's why I posted this...

Originally posted by reject

Originally posted by reject
If we say 5% of ]3 billion had developed interstellar travel, would that be a conservative estimate? That would be 7.5 MILLION sources of UFOs.

umm, mods could you please edit my OP to:

If we say 5% of ]150 MILLION had developed interstellar travel, would that be a conservative estimate? That would be 7.5 MILLION sources of UFOs.
thanks, mods

reply to post by AQuestion

are you going to keep changing your "question?"
edit on 2-7-2013 by reject because: (no reason given)
mods, any time now...pretty please

edit on 2-7-2013 by reject because: fomatting & link

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Larryman
If ET exists... then time to say hello, and learn from them.
If ET does not exist... then 60 billion planets, divided by 7 billion current population of Earth = 8.57 habitable planets for each person.

I want to populate at least one of MY eight planets with de-extincted dinosaurs.

What do you want to do with your 8 planets?

Cabana Boys!!

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by AndyMayhew

homo sapiens haven't been around for even half a million years.

the universe is about 14 BILLION years old.

There's a chance there are civilizations out there that could've had one or a couple BILLION years headstart on us.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
At this point we are still unique. It is a far cry from 1 known inhabitable world to 60 Billion. There is a big difference between inhabitable and inhabited. Until proven otherwise I still hold to the earth is the only inhabited world, but I will be the first to celebrate when life is discovered elsewhere.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join