It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hawthorne police kill dog dog during arrest of owner

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Having watched the video the following can be stated:

The facts are as follows: There was a disturbance, at a house, with alot of cops in the area. The owner was walking his dog, a Rottwieler while video what all was going on with his cell phone. He then puts the dog into a vehicle and approached the officers that called him to come to them, and they proceeded to arrest him.

While he was in handcuffs and being taken towards a police cruiser, the dog started to bark and work to get out of the vehicle, at which it did. It ran towards the cops, and then stopped. The officer, did reach down to pick up the leash and the dog growled and jumped, taking a snap at the officer, at which point the officer fired and killed the dog.

This is the issue, is that everyone is complaining that the officer killed a dog for no apparent reason, yet fails to mention that the dog did go running up to the officers, did indeed lunge and snap at the officer and the officer has to make a split decision, get bit or protect himself and those around him, from this animal.

There are many problems here that are not mentioned, the first is the owner. If this person were to socialize and train his animal, it would not have jumped out of the vehicle like it did, nor would it have gone up. But look at the windows, they are down in a large amount, where the animal could get out.

The police are at fault, as they saw that this man did have a large dog, some would have considered to be dangerous, due to the reputation that many bad owners have had it given. The officers should have asked or told the owner to raise the windows up more to prevent the dog from getting out. Most animals, if they can get their head out of a spot, the body will follow.

But after reviewing the video several times, including, starting and stoping, it shows that the dog did get out and rush up towards the 2 officers and the owner. The one officer that did shoot the dog, did attempt to pick up the leash and the dog did lunge at the officer, snapping at him.

In the state of California, the laws are very clear cut.
CA FOOD & AG § 31601 - § 31683; CA CIVIL § 3342 - 3342.5; CA HLTH & S § 121685; CA PENAL § 398 - 399.5

31602: Potentially dangerous dog defined: Any dog which, when unprovoked, bites a person causing a less severe injury than as defined in Section 31604

31604. Severe injury defined: "Severe injury" means any physical injury to a human being that results in muscle tears or disfiguring lacerations or requires multiple sutures or corrective or cosmetic surgery

31642. Keeping and controlling potentially dangerous dogs: A potentially dangerous dog, while on the owner's property, shall, at all times, be kept indoors, or in a securely fenced yard from which the dog cannot escape, and into which children cannot trespass. A potentially dangerous animal may be off the owner's premises only if it is restrained by a substantial leash, of appropriate length, and if it is under the control of a responsible adult.

Those are the laws of the state of California.

And if the animal had bit the officer, as the owner did not properly restrain it, then the owner would be up on felony charges, along with assault with a deadly weapons charge, spending time in a jail/prison.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Wow, lol. What a thread. Anyways my whole arguement and the jist of my opinion is this; the dog would have not been unsecured had the owner not unlawfully have been detained for simply observing and possibly making comments to piss off some trigger happy police officers. The dog did not appear aggressive to me, you will notice while going over to the scene, the dog seems to get spooked and hesitate moving any further fora moment, that's not the actions of an animal on the charge to attack. And at the end there, what some are calling a lunge to bite looks much more like an attempt to smell the hand of the man that is reaching down towards the dog and his leash. Either way, it could have all been avoided if the cops would have done their job and ignored the man that was recording them. Apparently the call they were on wasn't very serious if 4 of these officers can just decide to turn their full attention to the black man with a cell phone, who clearly was a threat requiring these officers to approach him and place him in cuffs.
edit on 7/2/2013 by TheCrimsonGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
The video on YouTube has gone from 10000 views to just under 800000 views in 12 hours.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Superhans

Originally posted by TheCrimsonGhost
It didn't appear to be a lunge for a bite to me, looked as if he was trying to smell his hand.

Does not really matter much anyways, dog was being bad and got shot for it.

shouldn't that apply to "dogs" in uniform?

people need to get proactive IMO

Originally Posted by 1825114

Well you can get charged the same as killing a cop if you kill one of their dogs, and we know for a fact that they'll absolutely try to kill you if you were to even try to hurt their pups (and arrest you for as little as barking at them)...
Really interested in how this turns out.

Funny that it happened in "Freemansburg..." More fuel for the "sovereign citizens want to kill cops" mantra?
edit on 15-8-2011 by 1825114 because: (no reason given)

www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...
[it should be noted that domestic dispute should be in quotes or preceded by the word alleged in this case]

Police officer shot dead after pointing stun gun at man's dogs as he attended domestic dispute

it doesn't matter to you
ROFL

you'll be singing a different tune when [not if] you become a statistic

edit on 2-7-2013 by TheMagus because: attribution

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMagus

I don't get what you are trying to say. Could you make a point and post that? thnx

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   

I don't get what you are trying to say. Could you make a point and post that? thnx

you understand perfectly herr uber hans

if it needs further elaboration, you'll never understand

google translate is also an option

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMagus

I will just take that as a no, thanks for playing

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I watched the video a couple times here and I can't blame the dog. It's doing what large breed, loyal dogs do. It was moving to protect and free it's owner. That breed in particular is known for it's loyalty to a vicious extreme at times and why Police themselves use it or have in the past in some departments for K-9 units. It's big and very capable of using it's size to take down a person. So, the dog isn't to blame.

I can't blame the cop either. It wasn't for lack of ability that they didn't just shoot it as soon as it came out the window. You can see the one who ended up shooting it had already been watching it and watching it pretty close in the uncut video of it. Still, getting it's leash or trying to get control, in case it was a fully domestic type family pet personality WAS tried ...and there are sure stories with videos around where they didn't do that much.

This is a combination of bad judgement by the owner which got his own dog killed and a tragic set of circumstances. By the way, what was the genius figuring to do with the dog when he put it into a car in the summer, before screwing with the cops to get himself arrested? Anyone noticed? It's a bit hot out there just recently. This guy just wasn't very bright, all the way around.

I'd also note this was anything but a clean shoot. The cops don't show it, but this is where I'm speaking from growing up around cops and most I knew being dog owners themselves. That was a bad thing for all involved and no one was looking for that to happen. The cop who shot it probably felt worse than the owner, especially for how it wasn't a clean kill at all.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMagus

I will just take that as a no, thanks for playing

you're quite welcome
and a good loser as well

Guten Tag

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   

reply to post by PsykoOps

He was not arrested for "nothing". And it was not just for the filming, the cops were responding to an armed robery and he pulled his car up with the windows rolled down looping a song loudly. The cops kind of need to hear what is going on in the area when that is happening. But such things are probably lost on you. You know what? Screw it, lol dog is dead and the cops got away with it. U mad bro?
edit on 2-7-2013 by Superhans because: (no reason given)

Besides this post and your others including this gem 'dogs don't feel pain like humans do', I wonder what it takes for a poster to get banned around here?

I can't begin to register how disgusted I am.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by signalfire

reply to post by PsykoOps

He was not arrested for "nothing". And it was not just for the filming, the cops were responding to an armed robery and he pulled his car up with the windows rolled down looping a song loudly. The cops kind of need to hear what is going on in the area when that is happening. But such things are probably lost on you. You know what? Screw it, lol dog is dead and the cops got away with it. U mad bro?
edit on 2-7-2013 by Superhans because: (no reason given)

Besides this post and your others including this gem 'dogs don't feel pain like humans do', I wonder what it takes for a poster to get banned around here?

I can't begin to register how disgusted I am.

The true mark of an intellectual right there. Don't agree with something? Just try to censor it!

Animals don't feel pain like people do, they don't. The reply you quoted was to someone else not you, he just was going over all the typical stuff a thread like this brings and stuff that i already covered. Since doing the same thing expecting a different result is stupid, instead of repeating myself and going over points already addressed earlier in the thread I decided to post something else.
lol, what do you think should get people a ban around here?

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I agree dogs in cars during hot weather is dumb, but I don't think this guy was planning on being arrested, he probably assumed they were just going to tell him to leave and the dog would only be there a minute or so. It's just sad the animal had to die for nothing. As far as Hans goes, he ain't worth responding to, y'all should just ignore him like I have been, he obviously lacks a firm grasp on reality.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I agree dogs in cars during hot weather is dumb, but I don't think this guy was planning on being arrested, he probably assumed they were just going to tell him to leave and the dog would only be there a minute or so. It's just sad the animal had to die for nothing. As far as Hans goes, he ain't worth responding to, y'all should just ignore him like I have been, he obviously lacks a firm grasp on reality.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
It was clearly the owners fault that the dog was shot. He is the one that stopped and started filming and yelling at the police. In the youtube video you can clearly hear him yelling civil rights violation this more than likely has something to do with the lawsuit he has with the police. Also he didn't properly restrain his dog the windows in his car are down low enough that the dog can easily get out. Had he not done any of these things his dog would still be alive. When that dog snapped at the cop he had every right to shoot the dog.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Sure except he didn't snap at the officer, and was being completely submissive and even cowering away at one point, how you failed to see this is astounding. And last I checked It isn't a crime to film police or even say something they may not like. So using your logic, it's the officers fault because had they not detained this man illegally while knowing he had a dog that would be left unattended none of this would have happened. Obviously it's deeper than that, your method of determining who's at fault is severely flawed.
edit on 7/2/2013 by TheCrimsonGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by TheCrimsonGhost

At time index 3:21 and 3:22 clearly shows the dog leaping and snapping at the officers hand. So yes the dog did snap at the officer, can it can be heard on the video, the growl that came from the dog.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Having watched the video my opinion is this................

The dog owner was a f****** idiot and should not have been allowed to have a dog.......!

The owner, by being a nuisance and creating a distraction at an 'incident' illustrated what a dumbass ignorant worthless piece of s*** he was by hanging around.......

All this would have been avoided if the owner had taken responsibility and NOT acted like a tit.....

Police at fault.....? No
Dog at fault.....? No
Owner at fault...? You bet....... They should have shot him instead.....

PDUK

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Unfortunate, but seems justifiable. And this is coming from a dog owner.

As far as animals not feeling pain....serious? They most certainly do. If they didn't, they wouldn't flinch when you tried to treat a wound.
edit on 2-7-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

RIght?
I take it you are a dog owner, don't you train your dog to behave? My dog would never do anything like that.
People have been saying that he was "protecting" his owner but if you look its not like the guy was being beaten by police or anything. This guy obviously never took the time to train his dog how to act around people.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Superhans

And, if the dog didn't know how to act around people, he could have solved it with a muzzle. We muzzle ours (even though trained) when they'll be encountering new people, as never hurts to be safe.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join