It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hawthorne police kill dog dog during arrest of owner

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I said in my first response on this thread I thought the guy was an idiot and if he had just shut his mouth and turned down the music his dog would still be alive..

But my point is and it showed on the video I posted that it is just as easy to pull out your taser as it is to pull out your firearm.. So any cop that already has his glock pulled in like 4 seconds is trigger happy

Againin your words please tell me why every cop has a taser and pepper spray on their belt.,

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadSeraph
reply to post by goou111

The commentary in the video even states that under those circumstance the officer would have been justified in shooting the dog.

The cop in the video reacted quickly and took the best course of action, and for that, I commend him. That doesn't change the fact the officer in the video relevant to the OP was still justified in shooting the dog. The owner was an idiot, and that is why his dog is dead.

Honestly in the eyes of the law it probably is justified, but I say justified schmustified it's just plain wrong

A lot of people care about their pets as much as their children.. So cops just cant kill peoples pets when there are a lot of other options available

The cops knew exactly why the dog was agitated and are trained to think "taser first" so I think the cop chose his gun over his taser to make a point and kill the dog..

Just my opinion

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

I can tell you my father shot two dogs while working as a cop a matter of miles from where this shooting happened, in another Southern California city. They were both necessary although some idiot tried to sue him on the second one. A German Shepard that had already attacked one kid and was running around a parking lot, circling back toward the kids when he hit it broadside with a 12 gauge. I think the dogs bothered him more than almost anything else that happened during his police career. For all we know, this cop was equally bothered.

The problem is though, when you're facing a threat of immediate grave injury, you don't start small on tools and work up as you need to. There isn't a second chance if the first try doesn't work before damage gets done. So shooting it, while ugly and really hard to watch, was frankly the only thing the cop could do in my opinion. He did precisely what he was trained to do.

Once he'd tried to get it's leash once and looked to me like twice, to have it bite at him at that point? It was either end it's attack or see how it planned to escalate...which likely wouldn't' have been at all pretty. That wasn't the Taco Bell Dog.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

The dog attacked the officers. That is a rottweiler, not a poodle. I would have shot the dog too if I was that officer 10 out of 10 times.

No it didn't,

Yes it was a Rottie and an attacking Rottie is like a freight train, Did any of the officers get injured by the dog, NO, the Rottie didn't attack if it did at least one officer would have some broken bones.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by IvanAstikov
reply to post by DeadSeraph

If every cop was rotated through a stint in K9 handling, it'd help officers familiarise themselves with the behaviour of all sizes of dogs and their vulnerabilities, as well as weeding out all the cops who are going to go into meltdown and pull out a firearm because somebody's friendly doberman hasn't been trained to sit on command.

A few years back, after my old mixed-breed had died, I was asked by a neighbour of my parents if I could walk her rotty, as it was too strong for her to handle safely anymore. I'd had a rotty before so I already liked the breed and said I'd do it. First time, I walked her all around the local neighbourhood and ended up in a park with a chain-link fenced area. As there was no other people or dogs about within viewing distance, I decided to see what she was like off the lead. I was having pleasing results with "stay" and "here" commands, and I'd got to about a 50 yd stretch between us when, before I'd said anything she came hurtling towards me. As she got closer, I realised she wasn't slowing down and watched as she sped past me in the direction of the perimeter fencing about 100yds away.

I then spotted the woman walking the dog that she had seen and thought "OMG!" and went tearing after her calling her name. Luckily, there was no way for her to get through the fence and she was just having a barking fit at the dog on the other side. I walked straight up to her, grabbed her collar and pulled her away from the fence. Immediately she tried to bite at my grabbing arm and I just shook her neck and said "NO!" in my best "Seriously, don't even think about it!" voice and she flinched and packed her alpha status posturing in instantly.

I'd have no hesitation in doing the exact same thing in the situation that cop faced, especially if I knew that if the dog turned out to be completely beyond control, I had the equipment to end the threat quickly.

Yeah Rottie bitches can really be bitches,

Males are harder to train when younger but when older seem more mellow, whereas females keep that motherly instinct throughout and remain a little more high strung than what males would from my experience that is.

Did the dog look to be totally out of control?

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by InhaleExhale

Nope, you can actually see that the dog follows the owners orders. Untill one of the dummies tries to take the leach. That one who comes to scene with his gun already drawn, obviously with intent to shoot the dog anyway.
edit on 15/7/2013 by PsykoOps because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps

Originally posted by InhaleExhale

Nope, you can actually see that the dog follows the owners orders. Untill one of the dummies tries to take the leach. That one who comes to scene with his gun already drawn, obviously with intent to shoot the dog anyway.
edit on 15/7/2013 by PsykoOps because: (no reason given)

Such an unfortunate occurrence,

I own rottie's and would never put them in a situation such as this guy did.

hearing about the past occurrences of police brutality in the area and his past with police if any of that is true whats been brought up by posters in this thread, to bring his Rottweiler into a situation such as that in this day and age he might as well douse his dog in petrol and flick lit smokes at it.

He brought it all on to himself and his dog took the bullets and sensitive rottweiler owners world wide might suffer if they stumble across the footage. I didn't view it initially and was going of what was reported and posted then saw the video that I think Wrabbit2000 placed in a post of theirs but it had a guys voice over giving his opinion.
I would of liked to view raw footage with audio included as many said the dog owner had his music pumping from his car and this is what prompted police into interaction with the guy because of the situation up the street the cops were trying to handle.

I cant watch the video again as I tried analyse the footage as best I could to see how the cops reacted and I believe they had no other choice in the heat of THAT moment.

Like Wrabbit I think also pointed out what if the dog became more aggressive and defensive and actually attacked, the only way to stop the dog then would be to shoot it but as pointed out then it could be an accidental shooting of a person.

Its no win really.

The Cop could have dogs of his own and that is why he reacted the way he did and now maybe suffers for shooting what he loves. A dog owner with loyal dogs knows what his dogs would jump through flaming hula hoops to protect their owners, unfortunately this could be the case or not.

If the cop did have the intent to shoot the dog to send the owner a message then I know from experience that Karma will catch up with him and he will cross paths with the same intent he had when shooting the dog.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
To counter the boot licker side of the argument. If anyone I'd care about was in any dealing with police, wheter it was as a hostage or 911 caller I would welcome as many cameramen as humanly possible. What you call nuisance is completely in your head. I'm tempted to call it the "N-word effect". He didn't do anything to bother the cops. He was filming them to keep them accountable. Which we all know cannot be done enough in US.
How's that for backbone?

He was yelling at the cops about amendment rights while they were negotiating a hostages release. You don't think thats obstructing their duties? Who cares if he was filming. So were a bunch of other people who WEREN'T ARRESTED.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 03:38 AM
link   
He was answering them when they asked him what he was doing. If they were so bothered by him yelling the answer then why did they ask the question? So they can manufacture obstruction charges?

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join