It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop acting like a cowboy accuses Belgium couple of being terrorists for breastfeeding a baby

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
shine.yahoo.com...

Remans reportedly began to inconspicuously breastfeed her daughter Luka at the table when a female supervisor approached and asked her to leave. “She said, ‘Please leave immediately, you are disturbing the members,'" Neijens told the New York Post.

He intervened on his wife’s behalf, telling the supervisor that the feeding would not take long, but Remans was told to finish in the restroom.

“You don’t ask a person to have lunch in the restroom — why would you ask a baby to have lunch there?” Neijens said.

Shortly after the confrontation, the Greenburgh Police Department arrived. The couple told the Post that Detective Scott Harding yelled, “Close the doors!” and other diners were asked to leave the terrace.

“He was walking as if he was acting in a Western movie,” Neijens said. “He had one hand on his gun, one hand on his Taser.”

The officer reportedly told the couple that they were trespassing and that other patrons at the club believed them to be terrorists because of the black backpack the couple had in their possession. “In Sri Lanka, babies are used by terrorists,” the cop allegedly said.

When Neijens revealed his State Department-issued ID, the cop softened. “You have to understand, this club has had terrorism threats in the past,” he told the diplomat.

Softened? I bet that cop almost wet himself. I laughed my behind off when I read that.

Welcome to the police state of modern terrorism.

Anything you do can be called terrorism these days, even breast feeding a baby.

This is how low we have sunk.

edit on 1-7-2013 by poet1b because: Oops, forgot to add link, and wrong nationality of couple

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Well here what makes a terrorist (Adding breast feeding, writing in chalk, and possessing sparklers)

Protesting anything (such as participating in the “Occupy” movement)

Questioning war (even though war reduces our national security; and see this)

Having bumper stickers saying things like “Know Your Rights Or Lose Them”

Taking pictures or videos Talking to police officers

Writing on a piece of paper (Not having a Facebook account may soon be added)

And holding the following beliefs may also be considered grounds for suspected terrorism:

Being frustrated with “mainstream ideologies”

Valuing online privacy

Being anti-tax, anti-regulation or for the gold standard

Being “reverent of individual liberty”

“Believe in conspiracy theories” (see this)

“A belief that one’s personal and/or national “way of life” is under attack”

“Supported political movements for autonomy”

“Suspicious of centralized federal authority”

“Fiercely nationalistic (as opposed to universal and international in orientation)”

www.washingtonsblog.com...
edit on 1-7-2013 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Hmmm, I feel for the couple but I do have a nagging feeling that when in the land of the puritanical (or anywhere for that matter) it is is wise to enquire politely if you can breast feed and if so, where.

Here in the UK, my partner never found this an issue, but we always checked with the owners of establishments if it was ok which, usually, it was.

All that said, the cops alleged reaction was way OTT but does smack of small town, God-Fearing America

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   

“I am deeply worried about your staff if they cannot distinguish between a European couple looking for a quiet place to breastfeed a baby and suicide terrorists carrying a backpack,” link

I see TPTB have been successful in blurring the lines between real terrorists and normal civilians...

People suspect everyone of being a terrorist these days, it's not surprising to hear cases like this really

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Dominar

Personally, I think what the Belgian guy said was a bit racist. So, if you look European you cannot be a terrorist? Only brown people, I take it?

I think you guys in the US are way too sensitive about terrorism as well. The mere mention of the word is enough to get you all up in a tizzy. Keep calm and carry on.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by Dominar

Personally, I think what the Belgian guy said was a bit racist. So, if you look European you cannot be a terrorist? Only brown people, I take it?

Much agreement there, and restaurants are basically canteens. Aside from that case in point, in a cafe recently I was sitting with my wife opposite, the next row up and behind my wife, a woman was glaring at me, and I thought, WTF is that all about? I had no clue that she was feeding a baby, as all I could see was a face, but the glaring went on and eventually I said to my wife what was going on with this glaring, I don't know her, my wife though had long copped on before we had even sat down, and conveyed the message. So, what are you supposed to do in a restaurant? put a bag over your head in case your are looking the wrong way?

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Oh No No No - That would be racial profiling. The brown people get a free pass on that one. How ever they (the police and alphabet agencies) think they have a right to strip search every caucasian from 8 months to 108 years old when trying to board a flight.
It comes down to a shake down for money, you want to pick on someone with a job (so they can pay) and no political connections (that might make waves for the department). Everyone else they may or may not beat to death like a pack of rabid pit bulls and get away with it because of the thin blue line.
edit on 1-7-2013 by VforVendettea because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   
No one has commented on the most absurd part:

"The officer reportedly told the couple that they were trespassing and that other patrons at the club believed them to be terrorists because of the black backpack the couple had in their possession. “In Sri Lanka, babies are used by terrorists,” the cop allegedly said. "

So, the policeman was called in to deal with a terrorist threat because of black backpacks and sri lankan stories? WTF?

I'm going to assume he made this up, as it is just too absurd to be at all real. This man is someones son, and maybe a brother, nephew or even father. This guy is one you'd see at the same restaurant eating, and yet this man displays the kind of bumper sticker knowledge that can only be described as dystopian. Nothing he says makes sense, NOTHING, but because he watches TEEEE VEEEE it all makes sense to him. He's right about everything he says because he has a gun. Were he NOT to have a gun, but just his "wits" he could not control a dying cat, but because he has a gun he is free to spout his ignorance and everyone just has to take him, yes him, that idiot, as an AUTHORITY!!!! Seriously, that imbecile is your maker, he can end your life, make your life hell, arrest you and put you in the rabbit hole, or make your wife a widow, he's the gatekeeper, the golden child who you must obey. That idiot, the moron who actually thinks "sri lankin baby bombs" is real in way that it affects his work. Drug on stupidity he's also righteous about his power.

This is dystopia people, you are looking at him. Ignorant, foolish, loaded for bear and with a license to harass people who "fit the profile" of breast feeding, backpack carrying terrorists with a bomb filled baby having lunch where YOU eat. This man wills save you, judge dread without the smarts, an adam sandler character with a gun, pepper spray, cuffs, taser, and "THE LAW ON HIS SIDE."

We are in hell, meet your keepers. Your tip for the rest of your life, walk the hell away from these guys with guns, never go to ANY even where guys with guns are required, do anything you can to avoid the badged and the holstered - just avoid them at all cost.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Serious question... Is it really necessary to whip out a boob the second a baby gets hungry? Are thy not able to wait for 1/2 hour? I really have no idea.

Even if it is necessary to start feeding immediately, why is it so wrong to ask not to be subjected to it at a restaurant? I don't personally care, but I know that a lot of folks consider it impolite/revolting. Is it that hard to plan out your meals so you don't offend a bunch of people?

As for the cop, we have no idea if what was allegedly said is true. We also have no idea what information the cop was given prior to arrival. What we do know is that the couple was asked to leave, and refused, at which point they were trespassing. I don't really doubt the story because I don't think a diplomat is going to risk his career over this kind of petty crap, but this just seems like such a non story. If the thread were titled correctly it would read 'Cop may have acted like a doofus'.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

This was not a restaurant it was a country club, which are renowned for being snobby places to begin with. Also, all cops wearing a loaded web belt walk like cowboys with their hands hooked on their buckle or holsters...

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
Serious question... Is it really necessary to whip out a boob the second a baby gets hungry? Are thy not able to wait for 1/2 hour? I really have no idea.

Don't have kids then?

A baby could wait half an hour, but I would guarantee that it would make a hell of a racket until it got boob.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   
These people would rather see a baby go hungry than possibly become victims of seeing a partial breast?
I propose we starve the patrons and police that think feeding babies is improper until they see sense (should take less than 24 hours)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Everyone breathe a sigh of relief, I am childless. I need to calm down A LOT before I have a kid.

Isn't that what children's NyQuil is for? Peace and quiet when out on the town? Perhaps a whisky nipple before leaving the house?

As a very disturbing aside, I was referred to as "The Barracuda" when I was breastfeeding. Noms. Ladies, contain yourselves.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

God Fearing America? Cops are jerks everywhere in the US .. his reaction probably had more to do with having to go on that call for sheer annoyance than "fearing god"

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Come on please, this board is often filled with "cop melodrama". Why? You should all know that COPS are not the nice people your parents and governments lead you too believe.

In fact I think most have the same mentality as bullies. When confronted on their own, in their own home they will react like the cowards they are. These men and women, without a badge are less than those who have never held a badge. They hide, cower and peek out from behind it....all the while spout "big" rhetoric that they as men can not backup.

Take away the badge and gun and you will see nothing but an apologetic child.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 04:32 AM
link   
so in the USA is breastfeeding an act of terrorism?

so what's next? getting handcuffed when you go for a walk with the kids???
maybe shoot the kids like a dog because they don't know what's going on???

grmbl

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
These people would rather see a baby go hungry than possibly become victims of seeing a partial breast?

Apparently it was nothing to do with the boob.

Backpack *could contain* some sort of terrorist equipment, since a bomber took a shoe bomb on a plane we have to assume anyone waring shoes is a potential terrorist.

Terrorists also have names, so anyone with a name is a also a terror suspect....

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 06:03 AM
link   
*sigh*
Does it really matter if someone breast feeds in public? I don't now what's going on anymore, but America has gone dowhill
edit on 2-7-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   
This isn't about 'breastfeeding a baby'...it's about the very real and widespread abuse of police powers, or more accurately, cultivating the perception of higher powers than the police actually possess.

The Patriot act and DHS are vehicles that drive this kind of abuse. They give anyone even tenuously connected to a government agency virtual carte blanch over a citizen, simply by uttering the word 'Terrorist'.

Make no mistake, this is by design and deliberate, and is happening all over the Western world.
This is NOT confined to some yeehaaw hick of a country cop in the US, it happens regularly in the UK too.

It's a catch all, unarguable premise, of guilty until proven innocent, and it's being used against clearly non-terrorist citizens for all manner of things, like crowd control, taking images and video of police or authorities abusing their powers, looking at a policeman or woman in the 'wrong way', asking questions, even dropping litter...now, breastfeeding a baby is indicative of a terrorist action..sheesh!

Yes, the mother COULD have expressed some of her breat milk into bottles for travelling, yes they could have fed the baby in the car, or in a private area and yes, they it would have been polite, especially in a foreign country to have asked permission to feed the baby from the club management first, if they knew beforehand that this ludicrous situation was going to happen, they probably would have done...but the point is, breastfeeding a baby and owning a rucksack stuffed with nappies and baby wipes is NOT A TERRORIST threat or indicative of terrorist behaviour.

To even lie that is is, should be a criminal offence.

I say we make it a law that it is illegal that anyone in a position of authority, to accuse ordinary civilians who are patently not engaged in any criminal or terrorist activity to use such legislation for ulterior or un-terror related happenings.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   
A lot of "over policing" is due to bored cops, power hungry cops, unrealistic amounts of paper work and high targets.

If there's no crimes being committed, go fishing Mr policeman, i dont care what you do as long as you drop everything when someone NEEDS you. Going out and looking for the smallest crime or breach of public etiquette, becomes more of a nuisance to the public. The opinion of the public on cops is becoming negative and this forces the divide between public and police further apart making everything worse. Bring back the friendly cops, ones that you can say "nice day, isnt it?" too without feeling like you're 'wasting police time'.

Cops walking around just looking for the slightest reason to pull someone over makes people feel insecure not more secure!

new topics

<<   2  3 >>

join