It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Statement from Edward Snowden

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5

Originally posted by PlanetXisHERE
reply to post by defcon5

What is up with McCain, he so often seems the rabid war-monger, I thought people who had been through the experience like he has are more reflective and peace-oriented.

I have a relative that truly believes that he is a “Manchurian candidate”.
This immigration law he is spearheading certain is "communist" enough to be highly questionable.

Well, if he came out that he were, I don't think too many would be surprised.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rocker2013
We had the same attempt in the UK, and I think that was even called the same thing 'Real ID' (or maybe it was 'universal ID'?) We shut that MF down

I am aware that you guys did have this, and that you did fight it.
The problem is that they don't have to make a “new” ID or even give it a “new” name. They can use the same existing ID and just add the Biometrics into the database without your knowledge. This is happening in the US as we speak.

If you look at my signature, I added the second quote because most people believe that the Real ID has failed, even the Wikipedia page on the topic says so much... Yet the reality is that it hasn't failed at all, ALL states now collect biometrics that are in compliance with the Real ID act, even the 28 states that passed laws barring the Real ID (Oklahoma, and Missouri are prime examples). Other states have enacted the Real ID but given it other names (such as Michigan and Arizona) where they call them “Enhanced ID's”.

its very hard to prove that once they have you picture they are not running Biometric Facial Recognition on that photo. Its just as difficult to prove they are not retaining that information in a database once they have access to it. They only way to really prevent this is to go back to old fashioned photos that are embedded in the card and not digitally captured.

edit on 7/1/2013 by defcon5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
A lot of the people I know not only consider Snowden a traitor, but are also fully in support of all of the actions the government is taking in regards to privacy invasion, surveillance, etc.

They tell me its really all for own good, and that if "it stops a terrorist attack, then its all worth it."

I havent found much of a counter-argument to this mindset that isnt immediately shot down. They seem to trust the government more than anything else in the world, including any individual they might know.

That said, I think there are plenty of inventions, science, and even art that can demonstrate a different way of life. It seems to me that many people dont realize they have a choice in the matter. But, for those of us that do, it seems we have all of the tools at our disposal to be able to create a different life without doing anything other than living our lives in a different way.

I think one of the more recent things I have seen summarized this very well in that we need to focus on tools and systems that enable individuals. I think the important part is changing the mindset behind all of these things.

Technology is a double edge sword (well, at least two edges!), and we can choose to use it to enable people in everything from our daily lives to the creations, inventions, and art that we bring into the world.
edit on 1-7-2013 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

This is what I have been saying, albeit in a different way. It's not Obama this or Obama that or any party for that matter, it is about who we are. Snowden has put us all real to something that we already knew, without the proof.
The constitution, any constitution, is not applicable to us, it only applies to the government. We are not people who have some kind of constitution that protects us, we can only be citizens of corporation that deny us that constitution day in and day out. The evidence is overwhelming, millions languishing in gaols all over the 'constitutional democratic' world. prime ministers/presidents impeached? almost zilch. crimes for citizens, just about everything really, crimes for governments...just about everything really, plus now the desire to make it alright that they can look up your ass on a daily basis and hopefully stick a non-potato chip up there just to be sure to be sure. Who's fault is it? well you don't have to look to far.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by PlanetXisHERE

Originally posted by Trueman
I predict more people coming up like him.

No matter what they do, this is unstoppable.

I believe restoring America has began.

Though I wish it were true I'm afraid it isn't, it will have to get much worse, the masses are too attached to their flat screen tvs, smart phones and other status conscious toys and symbols. People live in fear, divided, die-hard materialists - how worse could it be, or how better could it be if you were a globalist? What percentage of the population is even reflected on this somewhat awakened site, 2% maybe? Probably much less........

Are you one of the people described by you?

If not, then what side did you pick?
edit on 1-7-2013 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I agree with most of the comments so far.

The NSA has been spying on Americans ever since its existence, maybe not to the great extent that it is doing today. I don’t mind them listening in on our conversations if it can save us from having another 9/11. But, the thing that upsets me is that it didn't stop 9/11, or the first attack to the WTC, the USS Cole bombing, and the most recent Boston bombing. I do understand and believe that they have prevented 100’s maybe even 1000’s of potential attacks on US soil, and possibly over seas. In my opinion the NSA has gotten to big and maybe there should be some changes. Just like the IRS.

If you give someone and inch, they will always want a mile. _javascript:icon('
')

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Exactly right.
If Snowden lit the spark that burns the world, it only means we were all sitting in a tinder box.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
This guy's pretty full of himself, isn't he?

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

And in other recent news:

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) on Tuesday said that an amendment advanced by the Senate would leave the U.S. with the “most militarized border” since the fall of the Berlin Wall and pave the way for the passage of comprehensive immigration reform.

So is he hoping to keep "them" out, or us in? Or is it both?

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

I wonder if Obama will be required to have a "Real ID"?

-TS

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
take him out already

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Archie
Good catch, citizenx1.

My favourite part:

In the end the Obama administration is not afraid of whistleblowers like me, Bradley Manning or Thomas Drake. We are stateless, imprisoned, or powerless.

No, the Obama administration is afraid of you. It is afraid of an informed, angry public demanding the constitutional government it was promised — and it should be.

I am unbowed in my convictions and impressed at the efforts taken by so many.

Edward Joseph Snowden Monday 1st July 2013

He's absolutely right. It's stupid how in a democratic society, people are so afraid of the power they possess.

No offense... but our society here in America is not supposed to be Democratic... we are a Republic. The reason we have fallen so far is because of Democracy. If you think that we should be a Democratic society then the point of his letter has been completely lost on you.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   
So they are revoking his citizenship and he is a national born citizen. In looking this up they cannot do that unless he serves another government (joins their military or works for them), makes some kind of declaration of allegiance with another country, or commits treason. There are a few other things but they don't even come close to justifying this. I assume they are using treason. What shocked me was seeing baring arms against your government can cause loss of citizenship. Not that anyone would do this but it was strange to see.

Good statement by Snowden. I seriously want to know why this is treason if they are saying it is. I'm confident all other governments were aware of this spying to some extent. If not they would have caught up with it eventually. The message was sent for US citizens.

www.law.cornell.edu...

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by MsAphrodite
So is he hoping to keep "them" out, or us in? Or is it both?

You don't need to fence in your cattle, when you can tell where they are at any moment in time, with the press of a button.

Most people don't realize what the Real ID actually is. It's a tracking ID with no need of ever requiring the “microchip” that everyone is so afraid of. It tracks every person that walks in front of any camera they have access to using facial recognition technology. Facial recognition is now in UN standard format world wide (ICAO), which means if you have a National ID from Mexico, and you're in the US, when you cross a FR camera here it will return results on who you are from their database system down there. This is being installed around the entire world via E-Passports, National ID's, Drivers Licenses, Visa's, and the like...

Imagine if they had a system like this in Germany or the USSR, no one would have ever been able to escape from those regimes. The moment they crossed a camera the authorities would have snagged them up a mile down the road. Its a dictators ultimate dream, and everyone is either willingly or ignorantly submitting to it.

Check my sig line again.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Archie
Good catch, citizenx1.

My favourite part:

In the end the Obama administration is not afraid of whistleblowers like me, Bradley Manning or Thomas Drake. We are stateless, imprisoned, or powerless.

No, the Obama administration is afraid of you. It is afraid of an informed, angry public demanding the constitutional government it was promised — and it should be.

I am unbowed in my convictions and impressed at the efforts taken by so many.

Edward Joseph Snowden Monday 1st July 2013

He's absolutely right. It's stupid how in a democratic society, people are so afraid of the power they possess.

Isn't he actually saying "this is all about me, this is my fifteen minutes of fame"? Why are you swallowing what this guy says, is it simply because you think stealing and then leaking your national secrets is good enough? Whatever you think of his 'cause', he is taking data that is not his to take and sharing it with countries that will benefit from that and I've STILL yet to see evidence of anything that is actually illegal - and I mean cold hard evidence rather than assumptions and what if scenarios - could you enlighten me?

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dianec
So they are revoking his citizenship and he is a national born citizen. In looking this up they cannot do that unless he serves another government (joins their military or works for them), makes some kind of declaration of allegiance with another country, or commits treason. There are a few other things but they don't even come close to justifying this. I assume they are using treason. What shocked me was seeing baring arms against your government can cause loss of citizenship. Not that anyone would do this but it was strange to see.

Good statement by Snowden. I seriously want to know why this is treason if they are saying it is. I'm confident all other governments were aware of this spying to some extent. If not they would have caught up with it eventually. The message was sent for US citizens.

www.law.cornell.edu...

Maybe to go back just a little to Greenwald's, (The Guardian) remarks early June.

“We’re not engaged in a mindless, indiscriminate document dump, and our source didn’t want us to be,” said Glenn Greenwald, the Guardian writer, in an email to BuzzFeed Saturday. “We’re engaged in the standard journalistic assessment of whether the public value to publication outweighs any harms.”
“I’m sure the Guardian has consulted lawyers about all of this, but as far as I know, none of the decisions have been legal, only journalstics,” Greenwald said. He tweeted earlier on Saturday that the Guardian would not be publishing one of the full unredacted PowerPoint slides related to the PRISM datamining program, because “it contains very specific technical NSA means for collection - we’d probably be prosecuted if we did.”
“We’re applying the standard judgment test that journalists apply every day: first, is it newsworthy and relevant, ie, is there public interest in knowing this?” Greenwald told BuzzFeed. “If so: is there genuine harm that comes from publication? And if there is harm, does the public value outweigh/justify the harm?”
He said he didn’t think there was “even a conceivable argument that anything we’ve published thus far causes any harm.”

The highlighted text is a biggy IMO because it was known that various IP servers were obliging with their tech, so what tech is he referring too? answers on a stamp, please.
edit on 1-7-2013 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Reply to uncommitted

No, buddy, my part here is done. Enough posters here have taken up the cause. I am now redundant.

BTW, it's not my job to spoon feed you, mate. You have eyes and a brain, I suggest you use them. But I suspect you couldn't care less about any answers I give. And that's the short answer. Trust me, you don't want the long one.

edit on 1-7-2013 by Archie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trueman
I predict more people coming up like him.

No matter what they do, this is unstoppable.

I believe restoring America has began.

I think that this is part of the start of a downfall and then a reconstruction will come after that. I completely agree Snowden will not be the last of this type of incident. There will definitely be more who will follow suit in my opinion. I personally am so sick of the government's lies to its people.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I disagree. Obama and the powers that be are not afraid. This is why they do what they do.
The Gov should fear the people, that is how it should be. The Gov for and by the people. Its out of control, and has very little regard for any of us. They have no fear, they are arrogant and we are truly powerless because most people are more interested in whats on television or the newest movie or game that will come out.

People, blog about the new Star Wars movie, or argue about the Hulk vs whomever and which team has won its championship etc.

The Gov knows this and just continues doing what it does.
edit on 1-7-2013 by talisman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by talisman

So, what, you are helpless?

Are the American people being held captive by their government unable to do anything at all to effect real change in their own country?

Wow, that is not a country, that is an open prison.

I can kind of understand the apathy. Sometimes when the cage door is opened, even just a bit, a creature held too long in captivity will prefer the security of the cage. This is the American people it seems. Tamed and domesticated l'il critters, the lapdogs of the elite.
edit on 1-7-2013 by Archie because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join