It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: GA evolution disclaimer challenged in federal court

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 10:36 AM
link   
After receiving a petition containing 2,300 signatures requesting that a disclaimer be added to its new biology schoolbooks, the Cobb County, GA school board chose to insert a sticker stating that evolution is merely a theory, and all material in the books should be approached with an open mind. That decision is currently being challenged in federal court in Atlanta.

www.ajc.com
Arguments start Monday before U.S. District Judge Clarence Cooper in Atlanta in a case that could stir comparisons to the 1925 trial in Dayton, Tenn., when John Scopes was tried for teaching evolution.

The trial is expected to raise these questions:

� Is Intelligent Design, a leading alternate theory espoused by many opponents of evolution, religious? Intelligent Design holds that the variety of life on Earth results from a purposeful design rather than random mutation and that a higher intelligence guides the process.

� And, if the theory is found to be religious, do Cobb's disclaimers, which don't mention religion or Intelligent Design by name, violate the separation between church and state?

Filed in August 2002, the parents' lawsuit is backed by the American Civil Liberties Union. It contends that the placement of the disclaimers restricts the teaching of evolution, promotes and requires the teaching of creationism and Intelligent Design and discriminates against particular religions.

The school system, Georgia's second-largest with more than 102,000 students, contends the disclaimers in science books do nothing more than promote "respectful discourse that is going to naturally arise," said system attorney Linwood Gunn.

Some people don't want the system to "teach evolution as dogma or force people to choose between evolution and dogma," Gunn said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Obviously no theory regarding the origin of life on this planet can be claimed to be absolute fact. However, the disclaimer stickers used by Cobb County can reasonably be said to imply that biblical teachings should be included in any discussion of these theories. In my opinion, this is a clear violation of the concept of separation of church and state.

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I never understood this issue.

Teach evolution in science class and teach religion in church where it belongs!

Parent too lazy to teach their children something not taught in school?

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Since I live in Georgia I�ll chime in�

Actually, the addendum simply states that Evolution is a theory, not fact, and thus people studying this theory should be aware there are alternate theories out there. It does not even mention creationism or �intelligent design� alternatives.

I think this is a reasonable statement and our children would be better served if more theory was identified as such in their curriculum.

Evolution IS a theory, not a proven (i.e.: predictive) science. While I believe it is a compelling hypothesis, I must admit I have yet to see it accurately predict anything.

If you want to know why Bush won, this is a good example. We have the ACLU attacking a perfectly reasonable and neutrally worded addendum to our textbooks on the basis that it MIGHT possibly have something to do with religion. Perhaps they could focus their energies in a more productive manner eh?

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Intelligent design...interesting. I'd like to read more about it. I wish I would've heard about it in school back in the day. Deny Ignorance :-)

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrNice
Evolution IS a theory, not a proven (i.e.: predictive) science. While I believe it is a compelling hypothesis, I must admit I have yet to see it accurately predict anything.

*Cough Dark Ages*

Evolution has a scientific basis and CAN be proven (explain the appendix to me) Creation is based on the bible, has NO coherent timeline (where are the human remains along that with a Raptor???) and due to the separation of church and state has no business being taught in public schools. If you are so hyped to have it taught to your children (after all we propagate other fiction like Santa Clause, the Easter Bunnny, and the tooth fairy) takem to Sunday School or something. Maybe we can add flat earth to the curriculum as well.

[edit on 11/8/04 by FredT]

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Evolution and Creationism can only be 'proven' by demonstrating that there is evidence to back them... hence they are theories. Why are Evolutionists so afraid to stand Evolution next to Creationism, if Creationism is such a farce, it could only make Evolution shine even brighter. Since NEITHER are scientific fact and BOTH have powerful evidence that can be used to support them, teach them both as what they are ... THEORIES.

MANY archeologists refer to the Bible for historical locations and civilizations etc., yet we still teach archeology. Creationist SCIENCE does not attempt to explain who or what created everything, THAT is what should remain in the church.

thanks!

- invid

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I'd have to agree to disagree on this one.

Honestly, yes. it does violate the seperation of church and state
Which, although is NOT Unconstitutional for all of those idiots out there who think it is.

But I am christian, and I think so long as evolution can be taught, then I guess intelligent design doesn't hurt anyone either. It's not breaking any law. It's simply noting all of the Quote, 'Intelligent Design' of Earth, no Evolution, no Church. Happy?

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 08:06 PM
link   

*Cough Dark Ages*

Evolution has a scientific basis and CAN be proven

How about coughing up the proof of evolution?
It hasnt been proven and it never will.

top topics

join