It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two 12-year-old metalheads, who grew up in a hip hop neighborhood, tell their story.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Not only is this inspirational, but reminds those that avoid doing something because of stereotypes, that the most important thing is DO WHAT YOU LOVE!!!

www.theavantgardediaries.com...

Peace, NRE.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

Not bad!
It takes courage to go against the grain and do what you love.

Rock on, young men.......rock on!!!

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
\m/. I love me some aggressive metal. Since i was 13 I've been in bands. unfortunately, i seem to attrack druggy band members that would rather get messed up than practice.
Regardless of my issues, good for them. I like how the one kid said," doesn't any listen to metal anymore?" Yes we do son.
Whenever i try to turn someone onto metal, i introduce the band Soilwork to them. Typically Song of the Damned.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Very Impressive sixth grade band.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

A cool interview here;noisey.vice.com...

and here;www.villagevoice.com...

Brutal Breakdown;

Destruction;

Ironically, those that defy stereotypes are seldom rewarded within their peer group, despite our recognition that stereotyping diminishes our eagerness to expect more.
edit on 27-6-2013 by tanda7 because: spacing

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I am so impressed by these kids. To see how talented they are now at such a young age, I can see they have the potential to go far. I hope all their dreams come true. Rock on little dudes!!!

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
ROCK ON!

Those guys are pretty good, I like to opening riffs to Destruction

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Cool stuff!

Great to see some kids learning instruments and playing some cool music!

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
right on! good for them for doing what they love, keep the metal alive boys

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   
This literally almost brought a tear to my eye. Reminded me of when I was around 9 and first started getting into metal. I hope these kids go far in the future. They sure seem like they have the determination

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Yes! Awesome! God I loved that break at the end of that youtube vid.

Brings a whole new meaning to Black Metal.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Just awesome...

Reminds me a bit of the young prowess of bands like Psycroptic, though they were a bit older with their debut album.

I hear quite a few technical mistakes, but hey, they are rocking it out and have PLENTY of time to improve and grow.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I think most with a brain would stay away from ANY music hyped up by the machine, and that includes all that "hip-hop" that is pushed by MSM (just as true for rock...Nickelback anyone? LOL). Hate to be that hipster, but you have to find good music, it rarely finds you.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by finitedualities
I think most with a brain would stay away from ANY music hyped up by the machine, and that includes all that "hip-hop" that is pushed by MSM (just as true for rock...Nickelback anyone? LOL). Hate to be that hipster, but you have to find good music, it rarely finds you.

Im not sure that generalization completely works...

Most of my favorite bands are bands even metal heads havent heard of, but I also greatly enjoy singers like Adele.

Just have to use your discernment.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Mnemicrsl

that is all...

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

Cant say I am a fan, at all.. but to each their own!

Music is such a personal thing, and when you have some headphones on, the only thing that matters is if YOU enjoy it!

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 02:21 AM
link   
These kids are great, I feel bad for Lars.

Originally posted by Serdgiam
Adele...

....discernment.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by jokei

I had no doubt it would raise some eyebrows.

Your music is your deal, mine is mine. You might just have to deal with that.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Serdgiam
reply to post by jokei

I had no doubt it would raise some eyebrows.

Your music is your deal, mine is mine. You might just have to deal with that.

Totally. She's got a good voice, I just find the material lacklustre.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by jokei

Thats fine, of course.

Heck, I feel the same way about most metal that is out there too. I am in a weird position though, where I have listened to too much music. Reviewing 30+ albums a day, while fun for a while, really starts to get ya jaded when its done every day, year after year after year. It took over ten years for me to find that it was actually harmful to my enjoyment of music. Never thought it was even possible.

Takes a lot to get my attention nowadays, but I think its the subtleties and how they come together that end up appealing to me. Pretty much everything I listen to sounds like something I have heard before though. The stuff that doesnt is what I choose to listen to! Sadly, that only means about 1200 of the albums in my collection get any playtime, but new stuff is always out there.

So, her voice is specifically what I listen to and I enjoy it, especially on some nice audio equipment.

Just have to use that discernment, which is not universal but subjective.

edit on 29-6-2013 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

I feel this more
www.youtube.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join