It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moving to UK from Eastern Europe

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

I have been searching for a different job and had an interview today, I asked how many people had applied for the position and she said "400 or so" and she whittled it down to 20 to interview.
You can check on certain job sites how many have applied for the position and they are all at least 200..some run into the thousands.
Also OP what are you going to do If any of your family get sick? you have to have been here and pay tax to be able to get free healthcare.
edit on 26-6-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by omass

Don't come, seriously don't come.

Regardless of anything you have said so far, you still have a romanticised view of our country.

For starters you do realise geographically speaking there is a world of distance between Southampton and Littlehampton, they're not even inthe same county!

200 euros roughly converts to £170!

£170 are you kidding me!

That will not get you far enough, it is quite obvious to me, that you see the UK as some easy ride, well it's not, I for one, do not wish to be picking up the tab for you when you fall on hard times.

Sorry to sound harsh, but you need to be realistic, I work part time, I don't even earn £170 basic per month.

I know you know that as soon as you are here, you will go to this family you have, and sign on, then you will claim overcrowding/being kicked out and will try to claim for help from the council for accomodation.

If you have any kids, you will be pushing an ever over-populated school system to the limit.

Seriously, if you are serious about making a better life for yourself....Don't move here, because with your alloted funds, and plan straight out of la la land attitude, you will not succeed.

Sorry to be so blunt and confrontational, but you have to understand, we have seen a great influx from the Eastern block and quite frankly very little has been to our benefit.

Sorry

edit on 26-6-2013 by solargeddon because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-6-2013 by solargeddon because: Typos

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Literally, I can kill someone and offer a bribe. Unless it was a close relative/friend, these guys will write it off. And this country is in the European Union!!! Seriously, I have personally bribed them...Police only cares more about documents in USA and the West. In the rest of the world, it's cash

you arriving in UK next week from Latvia? and you are writing stuff like this on a website? too much information maybe?

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Lets just put a basic expense list together per week (reasonably conservative numbers)

Rent £100
Council Tax £20
Gas £10
Electricity £10
Water £5
Public transport £2 a trip per person
TV license £3
Running a car probably £50+ a week factoring in fuel/insurance/car tax etc but will depend on your cars insurance group/your risk rating and after a while you'll need to exchange your license for a uk one for which you may need to take a test
School meals £10-15 per child unless you send them with food
Then theres food

so realistically to stand still you'd use your money up in one week just to stand still and before you have eaten anything

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
Lets just put a basic expense list together per week (reasonably conservative numbers)

Rent £100
Council Tax £20
Gas £10
Electricity £10
Water £5
TV license £3
Running a car probably £50+ a week factoring in fuel/insurance/car tax etc but will depend on your cars insurance group/your risk rating and after a while you'll need to exchange your license for a uk one for which you may need to take a test
Then theres food

so realistically to stand still you'd use your money up in one week just to stand still and before you have eaten anything
and that is being very very conservitive with gas & electricity most families i speak to spend 3 times that +

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria

Rent £100
Council Tax £20
Gas £10
Electricity £10
Water £5
TV license £3

Then theres food

Wowsers, where are you getting those figures from?

Up North per chance???

Definitely on the generous side there, not a diss, just an observation.

Regardless it's a good breakdown

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Omass, please take heed of the very good advice from our members here....

If you insist on still coming to the UK though, be aware that the south coast of England is one of the most expensive parts of the UK to live... And your 200 euro will last a couple of days at best...

Have you actually done any research into the cheapest areas to live in the UK?

Here in South Wales it is relatively cheap and there are jobs available for Eastern Europeans... Mostly because most people round here don't want to work and also because the wages arn't great... The many Eastern Europeans in my town are more than satisfied with the wages though compared to back home and most manage to send money home each month aswell...

If you decide to head in this direction and need any advice at all please feel free to PM me.

I wish you and your family all the very best, I really do, but please think carefully about where you're going!

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I'm not sure if the OP is a wind up or not. £200 you are kidding right? That won't last you a week with a wife and family, you'll be on the streets and in and out of homeless shelters until you have a decent wage coming in, that's if they let you start a bank account. Especially in the south of England, you need to have a proper strategy and get as much professional (not internet boards) advice (apart from this one) before you do anything.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Without a degree or trade you wont be able to find work in the UK due to high unemployment, low number of jobs and most jobs requiring a degree or higher.

Also gas/electric in the UK will cost you around £1500 - £2000 for a family per winter.

Hate to say it but I really don't think your plan will work out, realistically the money you have will last two to three days on food and travel alone. Even the absolute cheapest bed and breakfast. On top of that getting all the documents required to apply for jobs (NI number, bank account, address, phone number etc..) cost a lot of money, and applying for jobs will cost you even more as you'll need to write them out, print them, mail them, travel to interviews etc...

It sadly isn't realistic on your budget.
edit on 26-6-2013 by bastion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Ramcheck

I couldn't agree more, I was wondering whether the OP was trolling but decided to give them the benefit of the doubt

Omass, the grass isn't always greener but with a LOT of planning and assistance from your family here it may just work out for you and I really hope it does

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I have just been told he WONT be getting in the country, his papers are not right, so relax as he will be arrested at the gates into UK, plus as well as his papers not being right the amount of money he said he has got wont allow him into UK, as they HAVE to show a min of £5000 to last them for first 6 months.
I also thing the person may be winding us up as he could be arrested before his plane leaves his own country as he could be running away from his country for a reason HE knows about.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by omass
Me and my family are going to move to UK, Southampton from Eastern Europe. We have airline tickets for next week. We're bringing along 200 euros with us to survive while we find jobs. Any tips?

Hi. omass

I think 200 euro is not much in the way of cash. This will last days not weeks.

I've been an agency worker all my life. You will find plenty of work up till Christmas. Christmas to Easter is slow. You will work a week in hand, so wait two weeks for your first weeks wage. Don't use the small agencys because you'll get dicked about.

This is a goverment web site for jobs.

.gov job search

Work hard, pay your taxes and you'll do well. The best of luck to you and your family.

Marc

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   

I have been searching for a different job and had an interview today, I asked how many people had applied for the position and she said "400 or so" and she whittled it down to 20 to interview.

If you apply to 400 jobs (without actually applying for a job; I mean registering in a job agency) then the probability of getting a job is 400:400...that is 100%. Besides, 2 years ago we went to work in Kingston and got jobs straight away...That time we were only going to work though, not to stay.

£170 are you kidding me!

No, I'm not.

Sorry to be so blunt and confrontational, but you have to understand, we have seen a great influx from the Eastern block and quite frankly very little has been to our benefit.

It's for the wider benefit :3

Rent £100
Council Tax £20
Gas £10
Electricity £10
Water £5
TV license £3
Then theres food

Public Transport-optional.
TV license-optional
Running a car-optional
School meals-optional

Mostly because most people round here don't want to work and also because the wages arn't great... The many Eastern Europeans in my town are more than satisfied with the wages though compared to back home and most manage to send money home each month aswell...

Hmmm, thanks. I'll consider that, if we run into any problems. I'll look into that.

may just work out for you and I really hope it does

Thaaaanks!

I've been an agency worker all my life. You will find plenty of work up till Christmas. Christmas to Easter is slow. You will work a week in hand, so wait two weeks for your first weeks wage. Don't use the small agencys because you'll get dicked about.

Thanks for the advice, we've already worked in the UK. About a year ago we went to Kingston and found work nearly right off. Just like in this situation, we have family/friends to help us out. Please don't think I'm an idiot guys. In Kingston we had friends who had friends who helped us find work right off. This time we plan on staying other than just working and we also have friends/family in this location.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 02:37 AM
link   
You got a ton of good tips from folks who sound like they know what they are talking about and you have dismissed everyone of them out of hand.

Sometimes we jump out of the frying pan and into the fire accidentally. Sometimes we do it even when others have warned us not to. The situation you are going into doesn't sound safe at all but I hope all goes well for you and your family no matter what you decide to do.

Fingers definitely crossed for you.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by omass

Just like in this situation, we have family/friends to help us out. Please don't think I'm an idiot guys. In Kingston we had friends who had friends who helped us find work right off. This time we plan on staying other than just working and we also have friends/family in this location.

this changes everything.

we only thought you were idiot because you were going to arrive in a country with £170. that's all the info you gave us.

you now state above that you have family and friends in place already. completely different situation.you have support structures in place. you also have already been in UK.

you know the story and have nothing to worry about. as long as your not fussy what you do, you will find some sort of work.
edit on 27-6-2013 by lacrimaererum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by omass

It's for the wider benefit :3

There is no wider benefit to you coming to this country, sorry, but its true.

My ex has just lost his job and is a UK citizen, how does your entry into the UK enjoy wider benefit, when you may well swipe a job from under him, which in turn leaves me destitute due to non-payment of maintenance for our daughter.

You see how quickly this thing spirals, I am only one person your immigration could potentially affect, there are thousands upon thousands in this country with similar stories.

It's interesting that on all the points I made, you seem hellbent on trying to convince me that you have something to offer, well nothing personal, but I need to feed and clothe my daughter.

On £170, you are still being unrealistic, having been to the UK and working last year, you are still being unrealistic.

Why did you go back home, if you had work here?

Did you pay tax?

How long did you work in the UK for?

You don't have to answer any of this, but at least give it some thought as to why you are over there, instead of already over here having been in employed work for the last year, settled with a home.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by solargeddon
reply to post by omass

There is no wider benefit to you coming to this country, sorry, but its true.

you seem hellbent on trying to convince me that you have something to offer, well nothing personal, but I need to feed and clothe

On £170, you are still being unrealistic, having been to the UK and working last year, you are still being unrealistic.

Why did you go back home, if you had work here?

Did you pay tax?

How long did you work in the UK for?

The wider benefit is for EU ;3 Plus more workforce=employers can offer less so they get more cash..
About me having something to offer, I never said that...
I'm not being unrealistic, I already said earlier that I have family/friends living there. I have contacted them and they are all very happy to help. I went back because the purpouse of the visit that time was to work, not to live there. Went in October and worked untill January, worked because there was lots of work before christmas. We were some of the ones that got offered permanent jobs, but we didn't think of staying in UK. Of course we payed tax....-_- That should answer your questions.
edit on 29-6-2013 by omass because: failed post...Failed post....FAILED POST!"!!!

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by omass

The wider benefit is for EU ;3 Plus more workforce=employers can offer less so they get more cash..

Please clarify?!

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by solargeddon
reply to post by omass

Please clarify?!

Hes saying its benificail that cheap labour moves into britain lowering our wages in our alreday expensive country and push more people into poverty.

With that attitude all I can say is stay the HELL OUT MY COUNTRY!

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
What I'm saying is, it's for the benefit of the EU...You can go to Germany,Sweden, or any other country in the EU whenever you want, and work there. It works both ways...
Moving the tomorrow.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join