It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ever meet anyone famous? Were they like what you expected?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by randomtangentsrme

I bet the two of them got a few giggles out of you. That was back when you had to be funny to be a comedian.

link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
Oh these people will not mean anything to people in the USA but Kevin Webster (played pool against him) and William Roache both from Coronation street.
Oddly enough Micheal de ville (kevin webster) and William Roache are both due in court on sex offence charges.

Remember Ronny Corbett from the two Ronnies?

When i was about 8 he came to the local theatre and we all got to ask him loads of questions...

I was only 8 at the time but for me he was like the most famous person in the world at the time :

here is one of his best sketches :

Kindest respects

Rodinus

link   
reply to post by windword

I can only give one star to this?
That must of been pretty cool. Polka is crazy!

---
Polka your eyes out

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Man my stories suck next to you guys. Just hockey players mostly but I went to Uni with 2 of the Rankin girls:

Asked Heather(the youngest) out but was turned down.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
In 1979 I had business in NYC and stayed at the St. Regis Hotel - a guy in a trench coat, jeans and sneakers got into the elevator. I said "Man, you look just like Frank Zappa!" He replied, "That's because I am Frank Zappa". We shook hands and parted ways, but I'll never forget the encounter.

ganjoa

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I made a computer desk for a Warner Bros. Producer, who was originally a child actor and producer for the original X-Files. I spent a week with him in Beverly Hills at his home. He also gave me his golf cart and tag and let me loose on the back lot of Warner Bors. Here are two pictures of the desk.

I asked him what size door his office had. It needed to be a 36 inch door or I would need to modify the desk. Instead of measuring it, he wanted to fly me out to measure it for him. After some discussion, I convinced him it would be easier for his secretary to measure the door.

When we arrived in California, the desk would not fit through the door. We made it through the first door, but his door was a 28 inch pocket. The funniest part was the filing cabinet we had to move to get past the first door. He shared an office with the Friends producer and the cabinet we moved had every final viewing tape for Friends in the storage compartments. When we moved the cabinet, it spilled everywhere. When I picked up the tapes, I notice what they were. Much larger than a typical VHS. As we were picking up the tapes, Drew Carey's secretary came over to ask us to move out of his spot and that he was on the way in. We moved and he arrived. It was very strange to be in that atmosphere around the bungalows.

The solution to getting the desk inside the office was to have a crew come remove a window. 15 guys came and removed every screw but the last screw. They had to wait for a union boss to come remove the last screw and then the other 15 guys moved the window aside. The union boss then put the last screw in at the end. Again, very unreal.

When he came out with is Emmy and Oscar, the scene went from unreal to surreal. While we were there, we also got front row seats to the tonight show and sat in the director's chair for this scene from the Drew Carey Show.

While at the taping, I met Joe Walsh, all the cast members and Ben Stein. The harp was played next to me by a live musician and not Ferguson. I was next to the camera in a director's chair. No live audience since this was the season finale.

edit on 21-6-2013 by EnochWasRight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Ive also met lots of musicians.Layne Staley from Alice in Chains,Krist Novoselic from Nirvana,Jello Biafra from the Dead Kennedys,Richie Havens to name a few...Biafra was sort of an asshole.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

I worked with them in the early 2000s. To this day it was the best time at work I've ever had.
I think the only reason I didn't get in trouble for not being quiet backstage is that the rest of the guys were laughing just as hard.
True masters of their craft.
edit on 21-6-2013 by randomtangentsrme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I met Jack Benny.
He seemed like a regular sort of guy. But I suppose everyone seemed that way to me then, I was only 4 years old at the time.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix267
My friends and I waved to Weird Al at California State fair and he yelled to us "Thanks for coming to the show!" He is a good guy with a sense of humor in person.

Hmm that's odd. A buddy of mine told me about a time when he met Weird Al--he said Al was a really depressing guy.

I had another friend who met Adam Sandler (because he was in Bedtime Stories as an extra.) He said Adam never breaks character.

I met Ryan Stiles from Whose Line Is It Anyway/ Drew Carey Show. He was really friendly and comical even though he wasn't working.

I recently met Alan Parsons. He was reallllly mellow. I bet I could have hung out with him if I wasn't such a neurotic spaz

edit on 21-6-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I've met entire Vancouver Canucks teams but that's about it.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I was taken in the middle of February on a frigid night to a small roadside dive near Rochester Institute of Technology by friends; there was only a few cars in the parking lot and almost no one inside. Sat down and got beers and through the smoky hazy air in the place realized that there was a black guy playing guitar and singing softly up on the stage. I thought to my self, 'self, that sounds like B. B. King' although at the time I was only about 22 and wouldn't have known B.B. King except by voice and a few songs.

After a few sips on the beer and wondering why my friends were chuckling to themselves, I finally went up closer to the stage... damned if it wasn't B. B. King, playing 'Lucille'! I ended up sitting right up next to the stage for the rest of the evening watching him play and talking between sets. Turns out he was just there to jam with a few of the locals and obviously, no mention was made of it in the papers.

So I tell people I 'spent the night with B. B. King'

The only other famous person I ever met was Isaac Asimov. He was an incorrigible letch and lived up to his reputation.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
I've met entire Vancouver Canucks teams but that's about it.

I don't think I've ever seen the Sedin twins smile. I'd be scared to meet them!

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Ooooooooo i have just remembered...

When i left the army to start serious studying i had a part time job working the followspots in a conference/ concert center in the North of England...

I met the ladies from Sister Sledge... extremely pretentious and also carried Moya Brennans (Máire) harp onto the stage from the group Clannad

Also met Shane MacGowan there at a Pogues concert that i was follow spotting for and we all got rather smashed at a local pub afterwards! (he was 3/4 smashed before the gig anyway!).. only did 2 songs and puked up everywhere before being carried off to nurse the bottle of JD and couple of joints awaiting him in his lodge! He was a tosspot!

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 21-6-2013 by Rodinus because: Crap spelling

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ganjoa
In 1979 I had business in NYC and stayed at the St. Regis Hotel - a guy in a trench coat, jeans and sneakers got into the elevator. I said "Man, you look just like Frank Zappa!" He replied, "That's because I am Frank Zappa". We shook hands and parted ways, but I'll never forget the encounter.

ganjoa

Lucky bugger you are... i would have struck up a conversation!

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by signalfire

Cool story. I was in the USAF and a friend of mine was doing a short trip to haul some stuff for the USO. He went to sit in the jump seats of a C-130 and realize he was sitting next to B.B. King. They apparently had hours to talk and B.B. gave him a gold guitar pin before he left.

The funny thing is, being in the back of a C-130 is noisy as hell. They must have had to scream to communicate. I remember thinking, "they couldn't find a nicer ride for such a big celebrity?"

But seeing him play in a quiet smokey venue must have been awesome. I hope your memory lasts longer than mine.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I've crossed paths with tons of celebrities, especially while working for the airlines, but was always too scared to approach them or interact. Here is why:

When I was around the age of twelve, my class took a field trip to city hall and met our mayor at the time, LILA COCKRELL. I was completely in awe of her, her accomplishments, the way she carried herself, the speech she gave to us, etc. After the presentation was all over, I approached her to tell her what an inspiration she was to me. Instead of responding to me, she just looked around at her staff like, 'Someone get this kid out of here.' My principle came up and grabbed me by the shoulders and jerked me back. In front of everyone, she scolded me for bothering Mrs. Cockrell. I was traumatized and never approached another 'celebrity' since.

I could understand not wanting to be bothered in the middle of dinner with the family but looking back, that was pretty low of her.

So, needless to say, I just never gave a toss since and treat them just like anyone else.

I will say that Patti Labelle was on one of our flights. Another flight attendant flipped her wig and approached Patti for photos. She was the SWEETEST person. She even noticed how I was the only attendant who didn't go over for photos. So she waved me over and said, 'Come here sugar!' So I got my picture with her. SWEET LADY!

Others include, who I never approached, Motley Crue, Lyle Lovett, Collective Soul, Ashley Judd, Ethan Hawke, Patch Adams, Rick Perry who stayed at my parent's old beach condo, etc. Brad Pitt also allegedly rents a friend of my parents' ranch- or at least he used to years ago (before the Jolie days, I think). I never cared to meet him. I don't really care for celebs after my Cockrell experience.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

My wife was playing a concert at a state pen here and I got to be there. The whole experience was awesome and I got to speak with the prisoners who were on the project that brought them shows. Well, one of the inmates was sitting at a bench and I was drinking styrofoam cup coffee talking to this very nerdy looking fella with old-school glasses and a mustache. We chatted about music and he was very quiet and intelligent. When I got up to help with some of the gear, one of the stage hand inmates pulled me aside and said "Do you know who you were just talking to?! That was the _____ KILLER!"

I blanked out the name but he is a very famous serial killer in the US. So, yeah... not what I would expect a serial killer to be. Although it did confirm many of my thoughts on people with mustaches.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Man my stories suck next to you guys. Just hockey players mostly ....

DId ya' meet ... THE GREAT ONE?? His counterpart Mario? Spill!!!!
(to me, the hockey-meetings are bigger than the celeb-meetings)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   

I met quite a few but I'm not the worshiping celebrities type.

Me neither, I just approach them as a regular person. At Cons, a bit easier, you just go to the autograph tables, and wait for a lull time, to actually talk instead of just a quick sign, etc. My wife gets pretty star struck though, and it's kind of funny....

some others...

Erin Gray (Buck Rogers) - Super nice lady, and still is gorgeous. Found out she used to own a horse ranch in New York, so we chatted about horses for a bit. I always had a major crush on her...

Michael Dorn and Levar Burton (Star Trek) - These guys were very down to Earth, and surprisingly very chatty.

Sir Anthony Daniels and Warwick Davis (Star Wars) - I've run into Anthony a couple of times, and I've had the pleasure of chatting with him for a bit once, before he was judging a costume contest. It is kind of eerie to chat with C-3PO's voice albeit in a reserved tone.

We almost literally walked into Shaq once (and into his entourage). Outside of the NBA Cafe in Orlando. We were rounding a wall, and man is that guy tall....

Mira Furlan (Lost, Babyon 5) - Wasn't the nicest lady in the world....maybe she was just in a bad mood or something, but she just seemed over it all. It was kind of surprising given her characters are usually so altruistic.

edit on 21-6-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join