It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brazilian police target protesters — and journalists‏

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Sparked by a series of transport fare hikes and official corruption, the ongoing mass protests in Brazil’s cities have been greeted by crackdowns by police. Rafael Spuldar reports on the journalists caught in the crossfire

While large protests are not common events in Brazil, some of the protesters say “the giant has awoken”, meaning that Brazil’s population of 190 million is mobilising to fight corruption and political misconduct. As many as 15 journalists were injured by police and two were taken into custody during last Thursday’s demonstrations in São Paulo, according to Brazil’s Association of Investigative Journalism (Associação Brasileira de Jornalismo Investigativo, Abraji).

The journalists were allegedly beaten, maced or hit by non-lethal rubber bullets covering the protests. Photographer Sérgio Andrade da Silva from Futura Press agency was hit in the eye by a rubber bullet. Doctors say his chances of full recovery are less than 5 in a hundred. Reporter Giuliana Valloni from Folha de S.Paulo, Brazil’s biggest daily newspaper, was also hit in the eye by a rubber bullet.

She says a policeman shot at her from a 20-meters. “I wasn’t attacking anyone, I wasn’t cursing at anyone. I was doing my job”, Giuliana told Folha from her hospital bed. “I saw him aiming at me, but I never thought he would fire, because I had (policemen) aiming at me before that night.

You’ll never think that an armed guy in uniform will ever shoot you in the face”, she said. Folha says that seven of its staff members – including Giuliana – were attacked by policemen at Thursday’s protests.

This isn't surprising that police are abusing their power and attacking protesters. Most of these marches never made MSM, I'm just glad people got the police abuse and violence on their own camera's to prove it. Nobody should have to be beaten because they are standing up for what they believe in

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Well i fully expected it to spread to the Americas. Someone lit a fire on the other side of the pond a few years ago.
Im glad people are waking up from their naps and fighting oppression and corruption worldwide.
Now if only we could do something about this legal slavery.

edit on 21-6-2013 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by sarahlm

I’m wondering if these riots were sparked at least in part by the ongoing crackdown by Brazilian police against the drug dealers and organize crime groups that are rampant in Brazil. I remember reading about the huge move to clean up Rio prior to the 2014 World Cup and 2016 Olympic games. It appears they are quite literally abusing people’s civil rights and forcing many people from their homes.

new topics

join