It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pics from The Akron Zoo - Honest Feedback? Like them or not and why?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Hi all

I am an aspiring amateur photographer. I have been taking classes and have learned quite a lot. These are the first pictures I have taken in manual mode on my Nikon with a 35 mm lense at the Akron zoo. I would appreciate comments on exposure, color, composure.

The owls are my favorite. The 4 penguins all scratching together at the same moment is unusual. The child's face in the reflection thats on the bear is cool (gotta look for it) and the Leopard is just awesome in it's magnificence.

Thanks!

imgur.com...
edit on 19-6-2013 by ArcAngel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Thank you for the flags, I am honored. Any comments?

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Really nice. Looks like the Akron zoo blows the Columbus zoo away. I went there a few weeks ago and I couldn't believe the state of the zoo. No zebras no giraffes, one lion. It was pathetic. But they did put a lot in store of their paper mâché dinosaur exhibit and everywhere you looked we're food places and gift shoppes. shameful.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by damwel

I would agree. Akron zoo is well kept up. Smaller, but nicer. And Cleveland Zoo has that mountain you have to walk up or down, to see some exhibits (they do have a tram).

Thank you for looking!

BTW, I changed the bear into portrait, much more powerful of an image.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Nice photography but the animals don't look really that happy for some reason.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by ArcAngel

The photos themselves are great. I felt the most connection with the yellow flowers, the leopard, and the lion.

But to be honest, to me zoos are more bitter than they are sweet. A few years back we traveled to the Cleveland Zoo in Ohio. It was quite obvious that several of the bears were suffering from psychological problems. They were detached from any and all stimuli, and just kept pacing back-and-forth incessantly. The bear I was observing had been pacing day after day, to the point its "path" was nearly a trench-like ditch from wear.

We humans are animals. We forget this and create a false perception that we are separate and totally different than the other animals. Animals need miles and miles, and acres upon acres of land to roam, run, jump, and explore. They need interaction with their own species, for all of us animals hold a varying degree of social behavior.

Zoos, in my opinion, are a form of cruel imprisonment. There is no true happiness found in those who are jailed, and often placed in solitary confinement far from the herds, prides, flocks, and schools that their natural state of mind is designed for. There is no freedom and no choice. They eat when and what they are given. They do not have the freedom to choose their mates naturally, and are left to the mercy of imposed mating programs.

I do understand that many of these beautiful animals were rescued from former lives of even more cruelty. I understand that many of these animals, if in the wild, face the real possibility of being annihilated from poachers, habitat loss, or environmental poisoning from mankind......

There must be a better way to save animals than creating for-profit penitentiary systems. I don't know,.... it's all just emotionally heart-breaking for me,... the way mankind has wrought such suffering upon Earth and our animal brethren.

Nonetheless, beautiful pictures.

Peace.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Wow great pics! It really looks like your shooting for National Geographic. LOVE the barn owl and leopard pics!

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
good quality pics.

i reckon the folks in the bear reflection would love to get a hold of that pic. very special for those in it.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Kgnow

The simple fact that we Humans are the only animal species on Earth that locks up it's own kind in cages, is a big part of the reason which causes us to be so easily capable of imprisoning other creatures while having little to no remorse.

It's wrong for any/all animals to be locked up in such a way, but for some reason, seeing birds in Zoos is what usually irks me the most.(more specifically, Birds of Prey)

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Kgnow

Thank you for your thoughtful comments. You MUST be a nice person because I had read somewhere that you can judge a person's kindness by the way in which they treat animals.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Thank you for the comments? What did you think of the photo's?

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by lacrimaererum

Thank you for the nice comment. I wish I knew of a way to get those to the people. But I don't. Great idea.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Great pics! The jaguar and penguin are my favorites.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by PinealJockey

Aww Thanks! The penguin finally got some love.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   

What a fantastic set of pictures! I've recently gotten into the amateur photography as a side hobby to amateur radio.

Asking for feedback can be a daunting thing. I may do the same in the future because the thought hasn't really crossed my mine to ask for it here.

Going full Manual is a good step to learn how the camera works and what adjustments need to be made as you're shooting.

The color balance and hue on the cheetah and the lion really make them retro and unique. My favorite is definitely the owl, owls are neat creatures.

The use of your polarizer makes such a nice difference in the pictures. The grass and flowers look vivid and lifelike without glare, very nice.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   

wow, just wow. first off I would love to say that the picture's are all awe-inspiring shots.
I especially love the leopard you caught that just perfectly

and I am interested in the thoughts behind the last picture with the one yellow brick it had a nice touch

great pics thanks for sharing them

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Mapkar

Thanks a lot for the positive feedback!

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by 13100D

Thank you very much for the kind words. I've been trying to improve this year with classes and many field trips. I felt confident that the flaming would be at a minimum with these.

I was hoping someone would say "Hey, look at that Yellow BRICK road"! haha Plus I really liked the perspective and lines of the shot. It was a "hey look at that" and shoot type thing.

Thanks again

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   

As a former photographer I'd say you have one thing that can't be taught - an artistic eye. No amount of learning about film speeds, apertures, shutters, lens, focus, lighting, ect.. can make someone a good photographer; only the ability to see things artistically and use your tools to capture it make you a good photographer. Keep it up! (Personally I like the bear with the reflection of people in the middle for artistic quality, and the yellow stone among other colors too - the coat on the leopard looks tightly focused with a nice light balance to make the colors pop).

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

Do you mind if I send your post to my daughter? She is an artist and says photography is not art, anyone can take a picture haha

From my heart, thank you for that comment. It means a lot to me, it says I am on the right track.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join