It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Immigrating to Australia: Advice?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Hello everyone. My family is discussing the topic of possibly moving to Australia. It's very much a light idea right now, and we have not done much research beyond visa requirements.

I will obviously be doing more research on my own, but I was hoping that some of the Australian ATS members might be able to offer some advice and/or guidance on where to start my research. I know nothing about the country honestly, so for one thing I am not sure which areas I should even be looking at.

Are there certain areas with a fairly balanced cost of living and employment rates? We would be applying for work visas initially, but I also would like to continue my education, so locations with good universities would be a plus. I've read that Australia is very diverse and accepting, is this true? Are American immigrants generally accepted? (Sorry if that's an ignorant question, but I'm sure we all know that Americans aren't favored in many places)

Any helpful thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by MojaveBurning

Hi mate, i live on the Australian East Coast about 2 hours north of Sydney in a great town called Newcastle, it has awesome beaches, employment rates are pretty good, a strong immigrant presence and an excellent university. Id be happy to answer any questions you have.

My family emigrated from Mauritius in the late 60's, i was born here with an Australian mother and a Mauritian father, Australia is an awesome country, we have things really good here, even though we complain alot, its an Australian thing.

There can be some racist attitudes here in Aus, it depends on what ethnicity you are on how much of that you might have to put up with, but its more than bearable.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   

We need more info. What work do you do? What work does everyone do? DO you like sport as a participant. What weather would you like. Are there some things you can't live without. What weapons are you bringing.

The more you tell us the better the advice.

If you work in the defense industry then South Australia is where you want to be. Ditto if you want a Mediterranean climate.

Do you mind Drop Bears?

P

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358

We need more info. What work do you do? What work does everyone do? DO you like sport as a participant. What weather would you like. Are there some things you can't live without. What weapons are you bringing.

The more you tell us the better the advice.

If you work in the defense industry then South Australia is where you want to be. Ditto if you want a Mediterranean climate.

Do you mind Drop Bears?

P

Currently I am in health administration. Hoping to continue with a masters and finally a PhD in Clinical Psychology. My husband is in communications, cell phones, satellite, radio, etc (repair and maintenance) He is soon to be out of the military and has a been attending school part time in the intelligence field. We all enjoy the outdoors, and I LOVE the beach. I also enjoy kayaking and hiking, and trying new things. Pleasant weather is a huge plus, but distinct seasons are also nice. I very much enjoy gardening (vegetables) so a climate friendly for that activity would be nice. Good elementary schools for my daughter will also be a huge factor in where we settle. I'd like to live near, but not necessarily IN a big city.

I hope this extra info helps, and thank you for the replies so far!

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Oh, and I googled drop bears..... the australian equivalent to the "snipe hunt" I take it! (although google images had some creepy ones, I'll never look at koalas the same!

Edited to add: as far as weapons, well, that absolutely depends on the laws in Australia!
We're a very adaptable family.
edit on 18-6-2013 by MojaveBurning because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Well i cant speak too mcuh for the rest of the country but it sounds like what you are looking for is EXACTLY where i live on the central east coast.

We have a major arterial hospital (the John Hunter Hospital), we have a large airforce base combined with a civilian airport and plenty of electronics and communication industries in those areas, the city of Newcastle has a population of about 250,000 centrally, but 400,000 in the greater area, we are 2 hours drive from the centre of Sydney, we have one of the top ten research universities in the world (University of Newcastle). Unlimited amount of awesome beaches (also some of the cleanest and least busy beaches because there are so many of them, our coastline here is one big sandy beach great for swimming) Weather is great, we definately have defined seasons, we are in winter right now with a average daytime temp of about 60 degrees farenheit, summer daily average is about 85-100 (its been known to get up to 112, had our hottest day on record last year 116.6 degrees in the shade), spring is more like 80-90. we get plenty of rain, Crime is oretty low, quality of life is pretty high compared to the rest of the world. Salaries are really good for professionals (compared to some otehr western countries)

Forget about weapons, pretty much nobody has them except for farmers and your average australian redneck (we have them as well), or middle eastern crime gangs as the media keeps shouting it at us.

Am i missing anything?

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Watch the tv show, Underbelly - that's the Eastern states for you.

Watch the tv show, A Country Practice - that's the Western states for you.

Personally, I'm in the west. It's boring and slow and the Eastern states tend to think we're just a Capitol letter to the word "Australia" and not actually a part of the place, but we let them think they leading the way, while we pay for all their stuff.

Oh and the Eastern States has the biggest bird cage in the world. It's huge.

Canberra, there's a red quail, a budgie smuggler, an old hawke and a bunch of galahs. -- paraphrasing an old joke, and not so well I must admit.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   

OK, I should ask how much money you are bringing but OK here we go.

Clinical Psychology - you should be able to get a job anywhere! Easy as!

Communication is a little more difficult.

I suggest you look at either Western Australia or South Australia.

South Australia has both major defense industries and mining. Mining is where the money is!

Western Australia has mining - big time. Great money! Watch the cost of living though. If you ever decide to go to a mining town then ensure - absolutely - that part of your package includes a house to live in as part of the package. Trying to buy a house in mining towns is just silly money so is paying rent.

Overall, all states have great beaches. I would stay away from the Eastern States and go where the wealth is. That would be Western Australia and because of the mining, there are a lot of Yanks so you will feel right at home.

Be prepared for our high cost of living. Steak can climb to $25.00 / Kg. (That is 2.2 lbs.) Milk is at $1.00 / Litre (Pint and a half)

Have fun!

Ask questions!

P

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

I don't really like to share my finances, but because I am looking for realistic advice, I'm willing to share for you guys. Approximately 70k in savings. And we were sort of thinking of just selling everything and starting all over once we got there. So whatever profit we make from our vehicles and household goods as well.

For everyone else who posted, thank you! I will have more questions tomorrow, after I do some more research!

Edit to add: I kinda want to get away from the yanks! LOL. I'd like to experience a completely different culture 100%.
edit on 18-6-2013 by MojaveBurning because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Melbourne is definitely the way forward if you want culture.
Its the culture capital of Australia as well as arguably being the sporting capital of the world.
Its always in the top 5 most livable cities, has one of the best public transport systems in the world.
Some of the worlds best surf beaches are about an hour away down the Great Ocean Rd and the city itself is surrounded by parks and gardens.
Great schools, great restaurants and cafes, just great in general

Dont bother with Sydney and if you want something a bit quieter go Perth, but its no cheaper.

But seriously, go Melbourne and pick a Melbourne based AFL team to support before you go, you dont wanna be ostracised.

P.s Not Collingwood

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 04:20 AM
link   

I live on the west coast. The capital city here is about 1.2 mil in size. The economy here is based on mining and agriculture. We have some very good unitversities here.

A 4 bed 2 bath house about 15+ ks from the city centre will set you back about $5-600k. The southwest of the state is populated but one has to drive for hours to get anywhere when you go north or east.

We have a mediterranen climate and there is a small Americian community here.

We have about 1.5 million people in a state about half the size of the US.
edit on 19-6-2013 by learnatic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 04:34 AM
link   
You're being misled.

The only state to live in Australia is Queensland. We have strong economic growth thanks to a booming mining and tourism industry, a fledgling (but growing) cultural hub, strong sporting clubs/teams and a lifestyle the other states can only dream of.

The capital of Queensland is Brisbane. (www.visitbrisbane.com.au...) It has a population of just over 2 million and has very strong international business and technology ties. We have excellent schools (both public and private) and some very highly rated Universities. I recommend you have a look at the Wikipedia entry for Brisbane to give you a better idea.

If you don't want to live in Brisbane, then there is always the Sunshine Coast which is only about 1.5 hrs to the North (www.visitsunshinecoast.com.au...). This is the home of beautiful beaches and waterways, surfing and fishing, relaxed atmosphere, rainforests...and in the hinterland (www.hinterlandtourism.com.au...) there's wineries, dairy's, organic farms, festivals.

To the south is the Gold Coast (www.visitgoldcoast.com...) which goes all the way to just south of the Queensland/New South Wales border and incorporates "Surfers Paradise". In addition to surf beaches, it is also the home of the theme parks of "Sea World", "Dreamworld", "Wet and Wild" and "Warner Bros Movie World"

Queensland is also home of the Great Barrier Reef...google the towns/cities of "Mackay", "Townsville" and "Cairns". They are the main urban populations on the coast in the North and are each gateways to the reef.

So come to Queensland...you wont regret it

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 04:57 AM
link   

I have heard US people living here that taxation here is high compared to US. Also housing is more expensive here. Expect also to pay 2-3 times as much for alcohol and cars. Australia is not a cheap place to live.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

has one of the best public transport systems in the world.

Maybe Melbourne in Florida USA not Melbourne Vic. Australia.

I have been to poor countries with where horse cart is a means for transport that have better scheduling that what Connex or whoever operates the system now.

They might have nice looking trams and trains but the system of operation is a joke, My-key or whatever its called ring a bell if your from Melbourne.

I cant just by a ticket anymore and travel on a train or tram once of, I have to by a Top Up card and place credit on it to be able use the public transport.

Have to agree with this though

Cultural capital

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Yes, everything is deadly and venomous.

The koalas stay in trees so they can ambush unwary people who walk below.

Even the sheep are dangerous and posses venomous saliva.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 05:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: IkNOwSTuff
Its the culture capital of Australia as well as arguably being the sporting capital of the world.
Its always in the top 5 most livable cities, has one of the best public transport systems in the world.
Some of the worlds best surf beaches are about an hour away down the Great Ocean Rd and the city itself is surrounded by parks and gardens.
Great schools, great restaurants and cafes, just great in general

Dont bother with Sydney and if you want something a bit quieter go Perth, but its no cheaper.

But seriously, go Melbourne and pick a Melbourne based AFL team to support before you go, you dont wanna be ostracised.

P.s Not Collingwood

Lol.

Sydney & Melbourne are my favourite places in Australia, followed closely by Perth (Fremantle in particular).

Melbourne is a great city, with a couple minor setbacks.

The weather is crap...4 seasons in one day is nothing to boast about.
Sydney, Perth & GC/Brisbane all have much better weather than Melbourne, all you round.

The other setback being (and you might of noticed already) the people from Melbournes insistence on telling you how great Melbourne is, in particular how its so much better than Sydney.
Its funny at first but quickly becomes annoying when you realise they are being serious and can be quite rude about it. Like a friend who only wants to talk about themselves or how anything you have, they have something better.

Sporting capital of the World? LOL. Please. They arent even the sporting capital of Australia (I dont think any one city can claim such a thing in such a sports orientated country).

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Collateral

Sporting capital of the World? LOL. Please. They arent even the sporting capital of Australia (I dont think any one city can claim such a thing in such a sports orientated country).

You pullin me leg or what?

Tell me another city that boats an F1 race, a Tennis Grandslam event, a Major Golf Tourny, a Moto GP event, the 3rd richest horse race in the world and not to mention the AFL grand final??? WE ARE THE SPORING CAPITAL OF THE WORLD!!!!!

To even consider disputing that you must be from Sydney

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 01:49 AM
link   
a reply to: IkNOwSTuff

Tell me another city that boats an F1 race, a Tennis Grandslam event, a Major Golf Tourny, a Moto GP event, the 3rd richest horse race in the world and not to mention the AFL grand final???

You stole the F1 event from Adelaide who did all the hard work bringing it to this Country.
Most of the horses in the Melbourne Cup come from other countries.
The AFL Grand Final is in Victoria because the control freaks will not allow it to be played anywhere else.
THe others have similar events in other cities in Australia.
You don't have a world class bike race. You ignore Rugby and the other one because it hurts you to think about it.
You ignore soccer because it is too hard to understand.
The weather sucks 360 days in the year for all sports.

Yeah, whats not to like

P

new topics

top topics

join