It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US spied on Russian President Medvedev at 2009 G20 summit – NSA leaks

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   

As Britain readies to host the G8 summit, the documents uncovered by NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden have revealed that back in 2009 US spies intercepted top-secret communications of then Russian president, Dmitry Medvedev, during his visit to London.

The shocking news was broken by The Guardian which has seen the documents. It also revealed that a UK intelligence agency, GCHQ, monitored foreign politicians and intercepted their emails during the 2009 G20 summit held in the British capital, which among others was attended by Medvedev. Some delegates were tricked into using internet cafes which had been set up by UK intelligence agencies to read their email traffic.

link

Earlier today I watched the press conference of Cameron and Putin. It was very interesting because Putin was speaking Russian and Cameron, English. You could have cut the tension with a knife. That was my take.

They both came out of this meeting where they were discussing the situation in Syria ahead of the G8. The dialog was of course, diplomatic, but the body language was not. Putin is a smooth operator. I was impressed by his responses to questions. He had some notes and even during his original statement which he made in the Russian language, he didn't use a teleprompter. You could tell he was in command of the issues. My impression was he is not gonna lay down, and he has serious disagreements with the Western powers. And he is a lefty for those of you that were curious.

Anyway. There is my buck-fifty
edit on 16-6-2013 by GrantedBail because: (no reason given)

By lefty, I meant left-handed.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Heh. Next G20 is in Brisbane, Australia next year November 14th. All the people of Brisbane get an extra public holiday because of it.

There's going to be something like about 5,000 police officers there guarding these pricks and expected to be about 4,000 delegates going to it.

I wonder if us Aussies will have spying...

Hope to see the Chasers there like back in APEC...

edit on 16-6-2013 by DaRAGE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by GrantedBail

I will agree with you completely on this one. Putin is a smooth operator and the speaking in Russian part may have been to insure his tone and context was clear more to his own people and the outside world.

Whatever I think of his politics or intentions, I will never dispute Putin being a solid, accomplished professional at what he is doing. No 'on the job training' for this one and he's also quite good at what he does. I wish we had one.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Oh for sure his responses were for his people. RT had a live feed as well as the BBC. He obviously is fluent in the english language as well as he didn't even use his earpiece when he was being asked questions by the press in the UK, but he answered in Russian. However, Cameron did while Putin was speaking. What a maroon.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Putin strikes me as the kind of man who could become a Joseph Stalin style War Leader. I don't mean the domestic purges, so as not to sidetrack into that area. I mean cold, calculating and ruthless. Basically, everything you want in a war leader if you'd want to see them win. It's the worst thing to see if you're on the side opposing without something like a fair match-up. I've always had a sense that Putin could turn as cold as ice, if the moment called for it....and I seriously doubt saying he'd have blood on his hands from his earlier career is a figurative thing at all. East Germany wasn't a happy, peaceful and joyous posting for a Lieutenant Colonel in state security, after all.

I don't see anything good about how this is shaping up.... Not one little bit. I think Obama is stumbling into something he doesn't fully see the outline of.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I agree with you. I don't see that there is any good that is going to come out of his.

I am aware of Putin's roots and his connections to the intelligence community.

But I am sick and tired of hearing about innocents dying at or by the hands of our country.

If there is a power that can apply the brakes or at least put a brick behind the back wheel I am all about that.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrantedBail

As Britain readies to host the G8 summit, the documents uncovered by NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden have revealed that back in 2009 US spies intercepted top-secret communications of then Russian president, Dmitry Medvedev, during his visit to London.

The shocking news was broken by The Guardian which has seen the documents. It also revealed that a UK intelligence agency, GCHQ, monitored foreign politicians and intercepted their emails during the 2009 G20 summit held in the British capital, which among others was attended by Medvedev. Some delegates were tricked into using internet cafes which had been set up by UK intelligence agencies to read their email traffic.

link

Earlier today I watched the press conference of Cameron and Putin. It was very interesting because Putin was speaking Russian and Cameron, English. You could have cut the tension with a knife. That was my take.

They both came out of this meeting where they were discussing the situation in Syria ahead of the G8. The dialog was of course, diplomatic, but the body language was not. Putin is a smooth operator. I was impressed by his responses to questions. He had some notes and even during his original statement which he made in the Russian language, he didn't use a teleprompter. You could tell he was in command of the issues. My impression was he is not gonna lay down, and he has serious disagreements with the Western powers. And he is a lefty for those of you that were curious.

Anyway. There is my buck-fifty

There is no need to separate GCHQ from the NSA or the rest, including Australia and New Zealand they all work together and the 2009 escapade is likely to have been well known to Putin.
Unfortunately this where The Guardian stops, ie; in the specifics which could really make the case. Take Medvedev as an example, he could have for instance, been talking or e-mailing a lot of crap for the dilection of eavesdroppers, because he may already have known that he was being eavesdropped on if you go with with the flow. That is not to say That Snowden is part of it, but is yet another albeit, important whistleblower.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

Oh, for sure. Both of these men have deep backgrounds in intelligence. They know of the capabilities, and are using them as well. I am sure they are using secure communications.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
www.guardian.co.uk...

Not only Medvedev , many more diplomats

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   

There again, I'll agree....short of war against my own nation and the loss of it's citizens in the process, as I'd hope would be understandable. Short of that? Yeah...the U.S. leadership no longer respects or even seems to recognize limits to what to do, where to do it or how far to go. Previous taboos are now routine to do and current taboos could follow before long. This does have to stop.

As it pains me to say it, I do have to admit, however this all started, the U.S. has become the aggressor in Syria at the VERY least. It's not easy to say as an American and it never should have come to this to have to say.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Spooks spying on spooks who spy on other spooks....

yawn...

Where's my coffee???

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by xavi1000

Not to be disrespectful but what...? Did they catch them with hookers?? For reals these guys aren't talking about stuff that has to do with their national security at no G8. They certainly aren't giving up their super secret codes. LOL

What do you think these people that run other countries are stupid??? Oh yeah, they are on their cellphones breaking down top secret info. LOL

It is a freaking convention. Open bar in several hotel suites and free women.

But they ain't leakin State Secrets, trust and believe.

Ha ha ha....

Ever been to a convention before???

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   

reply to post by smurfy

Oh, for sure. Both of these men have deep backgrounds in intelligence. They know of the capabilities, and are using them as well. I am sure they are using secure communications.

What, do you mean like bullets?

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

No like I mean they aren't ignorant and unaware of the capabilities, as they have the same tech.

Duh?

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   

reply to post by smurfy

No like I mean they aren't ignorant and unaware of the capabilities, as they have the same tech.

Duh?

Already said that, but this thread is about Medvedev being spied on.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

You have got to be kidding me. You think these world leaders cruise around to these meeting with their iphones?? LOL.

Do you really think that these countries that sit around in a circle trust one another??? No, I don't think so.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   

I think in the privacy of their closest confidants they probably do talk about a lot of things other nations would be interested in.

It might not be state secrets but it could be small things, like internal changes, policy updates, intel they hear.. who knows!

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   

reply to post by xavi1000

Not to be disrespectful but what...? Did they catch them with hookers?? For reals these guys aren't talking about stuff that has to do with their national security at no G8. They certainly aren't giving up their super secret codes. LOL

What do you think these people that run other countries are stupid??? Oh yeah, they are on their cellphones breaking down top secret info. LOL

It is a freaking convention. Open bar in several hotel suites and free women.

But they ain't leakin State Secrets, trust and believe.

Ha ha ha....

Ever been to a convention before???

Open bar and free women are exactly the ingredients needed to purge a bit of info. People are susceptible to these, very gullible, however hard you may be...no pun intended....

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

LOL would that be pillow talk??

I seriously doubt there are huge state secrets being divulged during these conferences. The reps come to the table with agendas that have already been developed by their respective State departments. As well as their negotiating strategies.

Perhaps a state may wish to listen in on another's goals but for reals you aren't dealing with amateurs here! These people are well aware of the capabilities of governments.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Arnie123

Please these guys are gonna give up state secrets to a one night stand?? Come on. You are watching too much television.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join