It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK government has spied on its allies at two G20 summits in London.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
According to documents seen by The Guardian newspaper Britain has been spying on its own allies at the 2009 G20 Summit.

Foreign politicians and officials who took part in two G20 summit meetings in London in 2009 had their computers monitored and their phone calls intercepted on the instructions of their British government hosts, according to documents seen by the Guardian. Some delegates were tricked into using internet cafes which had been set up by British intelligence agencies to read their email traffic.

Documents which were uncovered by our good friend Edward Snowden.

Going as far to set up fake internet cafes

Read the full article here
edit on 16-6-2013 by Lady_Tuatha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Oh come on did you expect every last 0 or 1 transmitted by every politician there would not be recorded and made use of by the spook agencies?

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

Spying on allies. Well, I wonder if they can read thoughts through receivers . Because the people at this summit, and many people in general know that the best kept secret, is one not communicated. In any way.

But if the people at the summit were transmitting certain brainwaves that were intercepted by special hypothetical receivers than there are no more secrets.

In this world, it seems, everyone knows everything. Why keep secrets or encrypt anything? Almost pointless.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

True, and now we get to see politicians claim ignorance to the subject, squirm and backtrack in interviews, wonder who they are going to pin this one on?

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lady_Tuatha
reply to post by Maxatoria

True, and now we get to see politicians claim ignorance to the subject, squirm and backtrack in interviews, wonder who they are going to pin this one on?

Well as Labour were in power in 2009, then an already lamented Gordon Brown is to be blamed. He was PM at the time and the buck stops with him.

As I said in another thread, all countries are spying and listening in on each other. It doesn't matter if they're deemed enemy states or allies, intelligence gathering is paramount for all countries security. We are constantly monitored ourselves, so this should come as no surprise.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
Oh come on did you expect every last 0 or 1 transmitted by every politician there would not be recorded and made use of by the spook agencies?

As said before in every other thread where the "what do people expect" line has come up, there is a massive difference between suspecting it and knowing it. There is also a massive difference between spying on allies and spying on potential enemies.

Not only does this diminish trust between nations, it forces governments to act or look weak in the eyes of their populations. People from the countries who have been spied on will be angry about this, and they are likely going to put pressure on their own governments through their media to demand explanations.

It's also great timing too. The G8 starts soon and this will put a significant strain. In fact, I would not be surprised to see at least one nation pull out.

One of the most interesting aspects to this report is the mention of the NSA monitoring Medvedev -

Receiving reports from an NSA attempt to eavesdrop on the Russian leader, Dmitry Medvedev, as his phone calls passed through satellite links to Moscow.

It also calls into question the security of Blackberry, which has repeatedly used the claim that it is more secure than other manufacturers to increase its business in governments around the world. No so secure after all, huh?

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Standard security. People play dirty, would be negligent not to spy.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lady_Tuatha
According to documents seen by The Guardian newspaper Britain has been spying on its own allies at the 2009 G20 Summit.

Foreign politicians and officials who took part in two G20 summit meetings in London in 2009 had their computers monitored and their phone calls intercepted on the instructions of their British government hosts, according to documents seen by the Guardian. Some delegates were tricked into using internet cafes which had been set up by British intelligence agencies to read their email traffic.

Documents which were uncovered by our good friend Edward Snowden.

Going as far to set up fake internet cafes

Read the full article here
edit on 16-6-2013 by Lady_Tuatha because: (no reason given)

Apologies from Emwah, I started a similar thread a while back. The thing is though, I am not seeing your thread appearing in the new topics or firehose, it should be there.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

Well that is all well and good but you have to remember both Cameron and Obama came out last week and supported this type of behaviour. So if we go on that premise, Snowden has basically been playing chess with world leaders and is moving his pawns around the board leaving the likes of Obama, Cameron and company wondering what piece to move without playing into his hands.

Pretty soon it will be check mate. Must suck to suddenly have the tables turned by one individual. Question is though, how will this G8 play out now here in Fermanagh with this out in the open? Knowing the stalement between Cameron and Putin over Syria today, this release will certainly not do anyone any favours.

Plus it just adds fuel to the fire of protestors that are due to come out in numbers. I could turn round and say this is just bad timing or... I could just turn on UTV, grab a box of popcorn and wait for chaos to ensue.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Just imagine all those nosy helium heads listening and reading for hours on end.

and they get paid to do this too !!

I hope nothing much got "lost in translation"

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocker2013

Yeah I think most of them are arriving for the G8 summit in the morning, this leak was well timed for it. I doubt they will be rushing to the internet cafe this time round. You would think some of the countries leaders and officials would be quite offended, even if they are all as bad as each other, it is Britain that has been caught this time.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

No problem, it happens me a lot, and not for the lack of searching lol.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcellante

yep it would be fun watching Frank Mitchell do his 'weather watching camera' clue for Lough Erne Resort. This place has some shady characters' red faces and noone speaking on their phones' where was our camera today?

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Looks like Turkey, South Africa and Russia are going to want some answers soon -

Turkey's foreign ministry demanded answers over reports its delegates had computers monitored and phones tracked. South Africa condemned the alleged "abuse of privacy" and a senior Russian politician said it was a "scandal". PM David Cameron would not comment on the claims,

Here is the link to an update on bbc.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   

If Frank Mitchell is here, it may be the cameras looking for him - "Wheres Wally?"

I can't understand this though, for the last few weeks you couldn't move anywhere in Enniskillen without getting stopped (I kinda embarrassed a few officers exercising my rights lol) Yet this morning... There was not one checkpoint to be seen. Not from my side of town anyway.

Kinda bizarre.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Completely common knowledge. USA has been doing this since WWII at meeting with friends. Remember stalin churchill and truman were buddy buddy for a few minutes

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Do you really think that other countries don't do the same?

Everyone spies on everyone for everything. Allies and enemies alike, because lets face truth. Todays ally could be tomorrows enemy, and vice versa.

The only difference is that we got caught.

new topics

top topics

join