It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hassan Rouhani is Iran's next president

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Ahmadinejad seems to be a man of contradictions and his rise to the Presidency is really quite remarkable considering his background and lack of religious qualification.

An example of these contradictions are his friendship with and loyalty towards Esfandiar Mashaei which has been a constant source of conflict with his spiritual guru Mesbah Yazdi.

Iranians, or perhaps more accurately Persians, are a proud people with rich traditions and culture, something that the clerics continously oppose.

Mashaei is an intriguing character who has voiced Nationalist sentiments and quite bizzarely some of his followers believe is in contact with The Mahdi, something that the otherwise opponents Yazdi and Khamanei fiecely disagree with - and perhaps even fear.
Mashaei has even made what many believe to be pro-Israeli comments and Ahmadinejad's continued support of him ostracized him from both sides.

Complicated does not come close to best describing how complex Iranian society and politics is.

It's worth mentioning that sanctions are having a real effect on the Iranian economy and it's people - something will have to give at some point.
And with that in mind it's worth re-iterating that the real power lies with The Supreme Leader, Khamenei, and he seems to have supported Rouhani's election, a man experienced in negotiating with 'the west' and someone who it would seem has considerable popular support as well.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
As this develops

"We respect the vote of the Iranian people and congratulate them for their participation in the political process, and their courage in making their voices heard," the White House said in a statement. "It is our hope that the Iranian government will heed the will of the Iranian people and make responsible choices that create a better future for all Iranians." The United States remained ready to engage the Iranian government directly to reach a diplomatic solution to address concerns from the international community about its nuclear program, the White House said. Earlier Saturday, the Israeli government dismissed the Iranian election outcome, stressing that the Iranian president has no say on Tehran's disputed nuclear program.

Source

I would love to be a fly on Netanyahu's wall right now

I love Israel but this administration needed a kick into touch, this may just be it

Let's hope so

Cody

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

The youth in Iran are getting more active in politics. They are more aware. Hell it's the digital age. Changes are coming for Iran. If their PTB are smart they will embrace a change. Slow if it has to be or there will be revolution. Maybe this guy will be a bridge between the old and the new.

This is where the future for Iran will be. I believe within a few short years we could see an uprising there. The young and educated want more in life, want to travel, want a better life. With any extremist government there needs to be a boogeyman to keep the extremism alive and well. I see the young there not wanting a boogeyman, and not wanting the extreme religious restrictions that the current leaders feel are required.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by cody599
As this develops

*snip* Earlier Saturday, the Israeli government dismissed the Iranian election outcome, stressing that the Iranian president has no say on Tehran's disputed nuclear program.

Oh man. Yes I want to
here. Hasn't Tel Aviv been saying FOREVER Iran wants to nuke Israel because of Ajeneman(I can't spell his name)? So now there may be a different outcome from Iran, that person's word doesn't matter? :bnghd:

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by catlitter

Anglophobia is deeply entrenched within Iranian culture. I couldn't give a toss about Israel or Iraq, only my country, and when you attack and threaten my country, you become the enemy for the rest of time.

With ridiculous statements like that, your opinion means as much to me as what your username is...

Yes if the UK and U.S. hadn't overthrown a democratically elected leader in Iran maybe they wouldn't resent us so much.

and when you attack and threaten my country

When did Iran attack the United States? The only country doing attacking and threatening is the usual suspect - the United States.

I'm glad this guy won the election, but it seems some people won't be satisfied...

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Can only hope that this leads to a better relationship between Iran and the West. Personally, I am tired of hearing about war with Iran and honestly feel that the average people of America and Iran don't want a war.

Peace

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

With ridiculous statements like that, your opinion means as much to me as what your username is...

Pay him no heed, he's swiftly been sent packing - twice - in almost record time.

Seems the vast majority of us view Rouhani's election as an opportunity - let's hope TPTB feel the same and act upon it rather than spouting the usual empty rhetoric.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Netanyoohoo be saying dis Rohanni boy he be harrrd liner boy.....
Tough no back down negotiator, and a big supporter of the atomic bomb program in Iran, he be saying dat.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
This guy had such a hard time rising to the position with so many in Irans elites trying to knock him out for his different ideas and reforms, but he made it!

He wont have the final say in thing, since the supreme leader in Iran is in charge of it all, but he will have major influence to the point where he could halt the nuclear program which Ahmedinejad spearheaded; thus changing the events of the future.

I just hope the elites let him get to work and not throw obstacles in his way

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Jumadax

A focal point? Sorta like Mandela? "Quick" history doesn't come around often. Like apartheid. Fall of the USSR. It would be interesting if this could be one. I'm either an optimist or a fool.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I love this mindset.

A country that has never invaded another country in 200 years= A bunch of god damn' terrorists that want to kill all Americans, V8 mustangs, Apple Pie and Grandma.

A country that has averaged a war every 20 years= A peaceful country that has to kill millions of people in order to protect a false sense of freedom.

MY GOD! George Orwell would love you. You might as well be a party member in 1984, or hell, maybe even a Prole.

The double think towards Iran is HILARIOUS... and sad.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Skjord

To be fair my friend, I haven't seen any government sanctioned anti-Iranian rallies being held in America. Have you?

Nor have I seen anti-American murals covering entire buildings. Have you?

rt.com...

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlphaHawk
reply to post by Skjord

To be fair my friend, I haven't seen any government sanctioned anti-Iranian rallies being held in America. Have you?

rt.com...

Maybe not... but the constant fear mongering about Iran by the press, politicians and tv talking heads in the Israeli driven propaganda drive is pretty relentless.

I just don't see this change in leadership changing anything at all as far as some countries go.
It is NOT about Irans "Nuclear" programme, that has always been nothing more than a red herring to wave about and frighten people into supporting any attack or overthrow of the Iranian political system. Israel, as the main protaganist, simply wants another US client state with a controlled puppet government in place that will not stand against their expansionist agenda.
Like I said in an earlier post, our own governments are already subservient to Israel in a big way, which is why we are funding and arming them so much and giving them preferential treatment, yet ignoring their constant aggression against neighbours and ALL UN resolutions requiring them to stop and abide by the same international laws that the rest of us are supposed to abide by!

So... there may be a different face now that Ahmedinajad has stepped down, perhaps a moderate, but it really doesn't matter as Israel will continue it's aggressive stance..... and we will all be expected to follow in lockstep and eventually send in our own forces to overthrow them for Israels benefit.

I may be wrong, in fact I hope I am, but the track record so far says I may be right on this.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlphaHawk
reply to post by Skjord

rt.com...

who needs anti Iran billboards when you have hitlary klinton?

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Bloody hell, for 33 years they have been telling us that Iran 'almost has nuke'
edit on 16-6-2013 by mekhanics because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   
YAY

Finally a man who wants to fix Irans internal problems before threatening its ME neighbors and comply with the rules of the World YAAAAAYYYY

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

Israel, as the main protaganist, simply wants another US client state with a controlled puppet government in place that will not stand against their expansionist agenda.

What about Iran's agenda?

Here are some quotes from Khamenei...

"I regard supporting the plan for independence of Israel and its recognition a tragedy for the Muslims and an explosion for the Islamic governments."

"The fake Zionist regime will disappear from the landscape of geography."

“The only way to confront the Zionist enemy is the continuation and fortification of resistance and Jihad."

"Israel must be eradicated from the page of history."

"Israel is rejected by us, we shall never give it oil nor ever recognize it."

The bottom line is, people like Khamenei consider the entire land of Israel to be Islamic land and they won't rest until it is conquered for Islam. There is no room in the entire Middle East for a country that is not Islamic according to them.

This is why a few years ago we saw Ahmadinejad tell Europe that they should take back the Jews and provide a home for them.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined

There is no room in the entire Middle East for a country that is not Islamic according to them.

That's the real issue. Empire's don't like losing land to a people they conquered 1400 years ago because it's a harbinger of their own downfall.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
This site says that Rouhani isn't a moderate at all. I have no idea if what they are saying is fact or spin or whatever. I myself have hopes that Rouhani will bring some fresh air to Iran. Time will tell.

When you do not obscure the sites link
flashtrafficblog.wordpress.com... rael-to-be-destroyed-by-nuclear-weapons/

You can see it is just someones blog for one.

And it starts with something that is already evident in its URL even:

The man is one of the most evil tyrants on the face of the earth. He is pursuing nuclear weapons to wipe Israel and the U.S. off the map.

My credibility meter just went to zero on this one sorry.

edit on 16-6-2013 by Shadowphile because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
This site says that Rouhani isn't a moderate at all. I have no idea if what they are saying is fact or spin or whatever. I myself have hopes that Rouhani will bring some fresh air to Iran. Time will tell.

When you do not obscure the sites link
flashtrafficblog.wordpress.com... rael-to-be-destroyed-by-nuclear-weapons/

You can see it is just someones blog for one.

And it start with something that is already evident in its URL even:

The man is one of the most evil tyrants on the face of the earth. He is pursuing nuclear weapons to wipe Israel and the U.S. off the map.

My credibility meter just went to zero on this on sorry.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join