It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I need help identifying a military patch please!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Little bit of a backstory, I volunteer at RIAT every year and on the Sunday night we have a part in a hangar to celebrate everything going alright which involves all the volunteers and all the aircrew/engineers etc from the guys displaying there.

I'll have nicked this patch from someone in 2011, so it'll be relatively recent but I've done some hunting on Google etc and I can't find where this patch is from. Can anyone shed some light on it please??

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Need info on who you got it from first, that will help to narrow the field a little. If it was a volunteer then you are out of luck as i can go to an embroidery shop and have something like that made.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Florasaurus

Dolphins are sometimes related to submarine forces, wings are air force, so I'd say flying submarine division tally ho what!
edit on 15/6/2013 by nerbot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Looks like Dolphin met Alien and grew wings aha.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Was he a navy pilot? There was a squadron called the blue dolphins. I could see them having an insignia like that on their flight suits.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Did a little reasearch, talked with a old navy guy, he don't believe this is a US Patch, the wings are wrong and so are the dolfins, but he said the wings look like either Canda or Britsh, He reminded me that most patches have meanings with in the designs, for example you wings have 5 folds of feathers. the dolfin you cant make to see much detail on what is really rapped around it.

He suggested to pick the wings and the dolfin design and start reasearching there or stop at one of your local VFW or American leagons if you have them.

Good luck let us know what you find out.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Florasaurus

Are you sure your friend wasn't with the United States Coast Guard?

Because that patch looks like a flying dolphin and the only dolphins that can fly are the HH/MH-65 Dolphins.

Can't seem to find a match though on Google....

Peace

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Usually the dolphins associated with subs are the fish of that name and not the mammal.

First guess it that it's SAR related - rescue diver type stuff, either Navy or Coast Guard. (Not necessarily U.S.) This is because the mammalian dolphins have a history of being associated with help at sea.

Second guess would be ASW, as there are plenty of squadrons or airwings that do that. In that case the dolphin might be symbolic of the use of sonar (buoys) used to find the subs they're after.

Could also be something related to NMMP in support of stuff like ordinance removal. Wings because mine clearing is often done from helicopters now. Dolphins because divers would often be working with actual dolphins.

Regardless, I didn't have any luck with any of those on Google either. (Still I had more pages to search than first couple, but I have other things to do. Might have better luck with more patience and persistance?)

In the googling I did find the previously mentioned "Blue Dolphins" VFA-203... That had a dolphin mascot, but no wings on it. They're supposedly deactivated since 2004.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Apologies for the unnecessary bump, but I found someone wearing this patch and after chasing him down the airfield, he revealed that it's from 721 Sqn Danish Air Force

Thanks everyone for all your help

new topics

top topics

join