It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iceland rejects EU talks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I'm putting this up, since I've noticed that EU news don't come that swiftly here.

I wont be able to debate much...(am working)...but you guys can have your say.

BRUSSELS - Iceland's bid to join the EU is over, the country's foreign minister told the European Commission on Thursday (13 June). "This is how democracy works," said Gunnar Bragi Sveinsson, on his first overseas trip, three weeks after being appointed to the recently elected Icelandic government. He pointed out that both parties in the new government had campaigned against EU accession.

EUobserver

The people have spoken. This is how it works, in a "fantasy" land.

I really like Iceland. They take sh! from nobody.

They seemed to have grasped the basic concept, which has failed to be spotted by anyone in my country....the EU needs you...not the other way around. The EU like the US, needs to constantly grow and expand the market or it would stall.

"We are part of Europe and want to strengthen our relationship in other ways," he added.

Support Iceland. A beacon of reason in these wild times....

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I can't blame then, can you ?

Who wants to be under totalitarian rule anyways ?
I have enough to think about with the NSA and the British government keeping a backup of my hard drive for me.
Maybe this is what 'cloud computing' was actually all about.

I bet Sir Winston Chruchill* would be turning in his grave at what the EU has become today.

* Churchill had the original idea to create a European state to stop mass genocide and tyranny across Europe from Russia.
edit on 14/6/2013 by diddy1234 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I love the way Iceland stands up to the whoever is trying to include that proud to be free country in their basket. The way they handled the financial scandal back in 2008 was a great lesson of democracy and a real show of what a government for the people means. Kudos to this small but big country.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Telos

yes...somehow...they managed for big money interests to come second.

So it CAN be done.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Show of hands who wants to move to Iceland now!

err... cept for being cold and dark I am all in!
edit on 14-6-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage

edit on 14-6-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

You read my mind.

I am so impressed with Iceland.
I am told daily that my country must remain in the EU because of the apocalypse that would
follow our leaving it. Iceland show you can stand on your own two feet.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 05:07 AM
link   
If you want to live there, it is a rigorous but accomplish able endeavor.

Single foreign nationals will have needed to live in Iceland for seven years, while foreign nationals married to an Icelandic citizen will only need to have resided in Iceland for three years after the marriage.

If you have any kind of criminal record other than a major traffic violation, you can just about forget it. You also need recommendations from someone that is a citizen and 2 recommendations from companies that you worked for showing a strong work ethic. These are just the basic requirements, then it starts to get complicated.....

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by charlyv

Single foreign nationals will have needed to live in Iceland for seven years, while foreign nationals married to an Icelandic citizen will only need to have resided in Iceland for three years after the marriage.

If you have any kind of criminal record other than a major traffic violation, you can just about forget it. You also need recommendations from someone that is a citizen and 2 recommendations from companies that you worked for showing a strong work ethic. These are just the basic requirements, then it starts to get complicated.....

and thats the problem with the rest of the eu/us, they let just anyone in to take our jobs, even encourage at times

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by MarioOnTheFly

Good on them!

I have always supported the concept of economic and military cooperation, but the idea of a singular government and the removal of democratic rights of individual countries is a definite no-no.

The dictatorship of the "European state" has gone far enough and needs to be rolled back.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by charlyv

So because I was arrested for public nudity, I have no hope even If I meet all other criteria ?
How disheartening.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I was in the cinema yesterday seeing man of steel, and I was absolutely blown away by one of the movie trailers...

it was a trailer for the EU!! telling us how much better off we are together in a united europe etc

I've searched youtube etc for it and can't find it, but I was blown away by it

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   
The Icelandic people have huge boulders indeed. The brief year I was there, I was shocked to know their leader's home had zero security. Anybody could walk up to their presidents door.

Even their 'stars' and wealthy homes are on the same street in Rek. Our new comer/tour bus went by all of the VIPs, govt homes. Zero security.

Only complaint is that we didn't stop by Kef's Olsens for their Olsen Olsen burger. Hope that place is still there today.

Even then, they told the EU to pissoff with their Euros. We almost forget, they pillaged the F out of Europe back in the day. Americas too.

Edit: The Piano Bar, in Kef, had the best night life for older folks. I really hope that place is still there. If anyone on ATS knows, please let one over-the-hill ATS member know. Off-topic a bit I know, but Icelandics really respected their elders. They even beat Okinawans in the oldest living centurians currently living.
edit on 16-6-2013 by ChuckNasty because: edit as above, spelling errors free of charge.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Yes, Iceland has kept its sovereignty, unlike Greece. But as to the "why doesn't the USA and other nations do this" is simple. Those countries are too big, too much money involved and the banksters won't allow the Iceland event take place.

You are seeing the police state growing to prevent any disruption to the power elite from robbing us.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 04:02 AM
link   
The beauty behind Iceland is it's small population. Iceland has about 319,014 citizens in 30,769 sq miles. Compare that with for instance Los Angeles which is 503 square miles and has about 3,820,000 million people. I am not in anyway advocating for population reduction, but when a group of people can have a smaller government, it can be controlled much easier. When you might literally know someone personally in parliament, you will more freely confront them on matters of the state. There is no "Man behind the curtain" there. You can still walk up to Iceland's equivalent of the "White House" and ring the bell or knock on the door. Iceland also has a long history of Anarchism which I think still thrives to this day. No I'm not talking about vikings raping and pillaging, I'm talking about self governance. You can learn more about it here www.anarchy.no...

All in all I think Iceland itself is a model for how we all should live. They have a free and open society, their life expectancy is about 82 years even though their main delicacy is Hákarl a rotted piece of shark hung out to dry for about 5 months that tastes of ammonia. But when you compare that to the US life expectancy of about 78, I'd gladly eat a rotten piece of fish it meant 4 more years on this earth and a bigger say in how I lived my time here.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   
today they perma removed their application from the EU.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: abeverage

I'd move there in a heartbeat!

Being in Vegas, I would tell you that cold is better than heat, any day! Time to start looking for business opportunities there!

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Good on Iceland.

Being in the EU has caused the UK nothing but grief.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

I was thinking the same thing...

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   
You can not really ever compare Icland to any other country. It was lucky enough to be in unique strategic position during the Cold War that cause the US to pump tons of aid into what was one Europes poorest countries at the time. It used that money wisely. However it has a population of a medium sized town with only 325,000 people. While its GDP is impressive for its small population it is in fact only slightly higher than the Bahamas. So it would add almost nothing to EU and I am not sure what Iceland would have gained from the EU. It does not have much to trade. Although since it has no military and depends on NATO for protection I suppose being in the EU would have given it a better sense of protection. Since it depends on NATO fighters to come for parts of year to defend its airspace and with most of them being in the EU as well I suppose joining the EU would have been a way for them to feel like they were giving back. It is kind of neat such a tiny country can exist on the goodwill of protection of others. Instead of people just taking the place from them.

new topics

top topics

join