It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dan Browns new book "Inferno" is right up ATS readers alley. Hint: Depopulation

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
And that is the only hint you will get.

Typical of his work, plenty of twists and turns, allies turn adversaries and visa-versa. History of course plays a big role, which I always like. Religion does not play a big role in this book either.

And the ending will definitely make you think.

I think that this book could be made into a decent movie, but I don't think Hollywood would touch it without a rewrite as it would scare the masses.

It's takes place over a 48 hour period so it is fairly fast paced and easy read.

I thought about putting this in the General entertainment forum, but literture deals with the written word, so here it is.

I just thought I would pass on a light, yet darkly entertaining recommendation to the members.
edit on 13-6-2013 by TDawgRex because: I'm a Dawg...I don't have opposing thumbs!

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Thanks...I've been debating reading this new book. I didn't care for his others, although the last one was by far his best. I think I dislike his writing style; I prefer more substance to the characters and the like. However, now I'll add my name to the list at the library....

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

I think that this is his best one yet. Many times you can see where a thriller is going, but this one threw me a couple of times. I was pleasently suprised.

That's what a mystery/thriller is supposed to do and he succeeded with this one in my opinion.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I'm glad you posted this, I had the exact same thought when I finished it. Certainly contains a theme that I could see being written about here on ats.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Does anyone else have an opinion? I thought about getting this book, but the reviews weren't that great. However, if the ATS crowd finds it interesting, then I might go ahead and buy it

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by killuminati2012

Were they paid critics or readers reviews? Often I find that the redeader (or veiwer) reviews to be more honest as there is not a paycheck or agenda involved.

Many of the Movie or Books that I like were critically panned by the so-called professionals, and the ones they liked were snooze fests.

This one ain't bad at all. It's a quick easily followed read and is up the conspieracy alley as well.

My only other advice, don't buy it, but rather get it from the library instead.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I just went to my local library website to see if they have this book. It's checked out and there are 494 people on the list ahead of me.
Sheesh.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Neysa
I just went to my local library website to see if they have this book. It's checked out and there are 494 people on the list ahead of me.
Sheesh.

Libraries always get multiple copies so I would order it. One of the ways to aviod the wait though is to go to Amazon and look for new releases for authors you like (Write them down).

Then go to the library and put yourself on the list before it's release.

Bada bing, bada boom! Chances are you'll be amongst the first to get it.

edit on 13-6-2013 by TDawgRex because: Spelling, I'm a Dawg...I don't have opposing thumbs!

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
reply to post by killuminati2012

Were they paid critics or readers reviews?

They were reader reviews from Amazon. I typically steer away from 'professional' reviews, whether it be books, movies, or music. I don't like their egos, and they're rarely unbiased.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I finish the book about a week ago, must say I was extremely disappointed by it. So far his best one is Angel and Demons, and Digital Fortress. He often uses descriptions not relevant to the plot, just to make the book thicker. I'm a history and arts buff, and I enjoy his other works greatly, but this one left me a sour taste... he tries to twisted so much that some twist are left either without explanation or a really bad one. Also the worst thing about the book is the capital sin of cliches.

SPOILER ALERT..... STOP READING ---- SPOILER ALERT...

The bad guys is one of the most intelligent individuals in the world, he is bend in decimating 1/3rd of the population each generation with a virus...
BUT!!! he leaves clues as to where the virus is, for NO REASON, since the virus will be distributed automatically without the need of human interaction...

Also the mathematics are all wrong... he tries to sell the idea that the bad guy inside his madness has created something that will make 1/3 of the population sterile. but by randomly mutating only 1/3 of the population we will always be able to maintain a healthy amount of humans...

So let me put this in perspective. First generation 100k people, second generation 90K people, third generation 81k people, so forth so on. even if you have 2 people there is a 30% change one of the 2 will be sterile, and there goes the human race.

I found that he tried too hard to make the book interesting, but in my opinion he failed... But then again JMO.

edit on 13-6-2013 by yuniorsan because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-6-2013 by yuniorsan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by yuniorsan

It's still a fun read.

And EVERY book or movie has some fluff in it. Little side stories that have nothing to do with the plot but help expand upon the character.

But I think your math is wrong with todays tech.
(Then again, maybe not) I won't say more, becuase I'm not doing spoilers.

I'll let future readers decide, maybe in a month or so I would expound upon it, but for now it's a new release.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
The side stories weren't an issue. the overly descriptive scenes, with information not related, and only used to put more pages in the book was my problem.

In relation to the math regardless of technology is still math. if you keep taking 1/3 of any number it will ultimately result in less than 1. Technology does not have anything to do with it.

But the worse is the poorly explained twists...

As I said IMO this is not one of his best work...

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   

One word...

Clones

Maybe he's trying to branch out into SciFi?

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

SPOILER ALERT.... SPOILER ALERT

I understand your point, but that was not the premises of the book. or the desire of the bad guy. and even the ending, they are trying to reverse the effect of the virus...

I would have liked your ending better

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Overall though, it is a interesting premise, would you not agree?

And a bit scary as well.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions after all.
edit on 13-6-2013 by TDawgRex because: The opposing thumbs thing...I don't have any

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   

I've enjoyed his work, so certainly have to pick this up. Some of his are better than others though.

Overall though, it is a interesting premise, would you not agree?

I'm assuming it's based on Agenda 21?

As for new releases, I have a friend who owns a bookstore, so I simply have her hold me something new that comes out, that she knows I read.

edit on 2-7-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Eh...I'm not to sure it has the Agenda 21 format in it as that is fairly multi-faceted. But the depopulation angle is fairly clear from the get go. But the journey from discovering that and how it is performed is entertaining to a lay person like me.

I'm not a scientist, just a Dawg.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   

I just finished reading "Inferno". My avatar Botticelli "Spring" is from being influenced by that book. I enjoyed it, especially the exposure to Florence, Venice and Istanbul. Mr.Brown does a fine job of architectural descriptions, close to being there. I doubt I will get to travel there, but arm chair tourism is doable.

I am fascinated by Dante's work "The Divine Comedy" and really liked the details Mr.Brown added to the Inferno portion. Mr.Brown's knowledge of symbols and history is enlightening.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Yes the premises are extremely interesting. One thing I would have loved is for him to have incorporated the Georgia stones.

But an interesting Topic never the less.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
i have read most of his work but how he can get away with it is beyond me as he copies most of his work from other peoples ideas .

but he sells and is popular but i will not be getting any more dan brown books

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join