It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weekend tours of local places.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Life is often fast paced. I don't think there's anyone who would say they've never felt rushed to do something, or be somewhere at some point in their life. Something we all should do, but often don't, is take a moment and explore the world around us. It involves slowing down and stepping out into the world we don't always see.

It's hard to believe we can live in a pace for years and not go out and explore just a little. I took a moment today to visit a local place that's quiet, calm, and for the most part it's off the radar.

Today I visited a protected beach and wildlife management area in the glorious Low Country of South Carolina.

Located near Edisto Island, South Carolina is a Department of Natural Resources Wildlife Management Area known as Botany Bay.

The focus of the preserve is a preserved tidal zone including a half mile wide swath of pristine marshlands, a hammock island, and a barrier island.

The marsh is full of wildlife and thousands of these little critters who watch your every move. It's easy to forget this is their home, we're just passing through.

Throughout the marsh there are small game trails and other indications that this place is alive and thriving.

The biggest attraction to this location is the beach that remains untouched by erosion control efforts. The only maintenance aside from trash pick up comes in the form of certain items of attention to alleviate safety concerns for visitors, usually this is simply trimming downed trees. Collection of shells is prohibited by strict laws to preserve the island's natural state; as a result, the ground is covered by all manner of shells and drift wood. Often times the surf crosses into the tree line and leaves some trees surrounded by a tumultuous ocean.

The result is a beautiful shoreline that's relatively unheard of in South Carolina where all of the popular beaches are commercialized and well groomed.

When I get the chance, I encourage others to get out, explore, and see what's around them. Have you had any local excursions lately?

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Mapkar

Thanks for posting. I envy you. I am always so busy that I am unable to take the time to do anything like that.

I have spent some time at Ft. Jackson so I have seen the area and can agree that there is some lovely country in that area.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadellacZumbrum

Thanks for stopping by!

Fort Jackson has a lot of visitors, hardly any of them have the time to get out and see all the sights from what I understand. South Carolina has its share of scenic areas, but they're often tough to find simply because they're very rural, sometimes it take some effort to get to them. That's what makes them special though, otherwise they'd simply be everyday mundane places.

new topics

join