It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Merseyside Police used Taser on 12-year-old girl

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Now that does sound really really horrendous..! However according to the police the 12 year old girl was allegedly armed with two knives and was behaving aggressively. They deemed her to be a threat to herself and others...

The force said the gun was fired to prevent her "causing serious harm" to herself and others.

Simon Chesterman, of the Association of Chief Police Offices (ACPO), said from what he read about the case the Taser may have saved the girl's life.

However, Mr Chesterman who is Deputy Chief Constable of West Mercia, added it "does sound awful".

Mr Chesterman, who is ACPO's lead for armed policing, was commenting after a Freedom of Information (FOI) request revealed the shooting.

He stressed the Taser remained the "quickest, easiest and least injurious" measure of stopping people posing a threat to the public.

"I'm not saying Tasers are risk free... but the risk from the electricity is very low," he said.

He added: "When you hear a 12-year-old being Tasered, it sounds awful. It doesn't mean it wasn't lawful, but it does sound bad.

"From what I've read about that particular case, the individual was intent on self-harming. It may well be that Taser saved her life.

www.bbc.co.uk...

From things I have read it seems that tasers are more harmful than many think. There have been doctors who have spoken out about tasers saying that they can have massive detrimental effects on the heart. And not just the heart. I remember watching a documentary about tasers a while back I will try find it. It said something about how the length of period that you are tasered for has certain detrimental effects on the body. And can also have effects in the long term too..

But with not much detail coming from this article. We can only speculate that police are informing the media correctly and the girl may indeed have been posing a threat to herself and others. However just the thought of a young girl being tasered is more than enough to make me cringe. If there are any more updates I will try and post...

Peace
Fluff

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Wonder what she was doing with two knifes in the first place and why she was upset? The article didn't give anymore info besides the area and that the girl was 12.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
She is old, compared to this kid....
CNN

About two weeks earlier, a first-grader was shot with a Taser at school when he threatened to cut his leg with a piece of broken glass, authorities said. The boy's family said he vomited after the jolt.

A first grade student, tazed by police at school.

What the hell is wrong with our world, that this continues to happen?
edit on 3-6-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
...because standing 15 feet away and sending a stream of pepper spray her way wouldn't have been enough....?

I mean IF anything actually had to be used... smh
edit on 3-6-2013 by unphased because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Not enough info yet to really make any firm statement.
What was she doing? What harm was she threatening? Who was at risk?
Before pointing the finger at the Cops(not the OP) I would need to have those facts I think.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
You rather they use Force?

I am a bit tossed on this. I have seen first hand how irrational a 12 year old can be and if harming themselves or others talking is no longer an option.

I typically side on victims of over aggressive cops but in some of these case what else could they do to cause the least amount of harm?

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage

I am a bit tossed on this. I have seen first hand how irrational a 12 year old can be and if harming themselves or others talking is no longer an option.

I typically side on victims of over aggressive cops but in some of these case what else could they do to cause the least amount of harm?

Call the childs freaking mom... lol

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Cops must have felt real tough! if they can't manage to disarm a small girl, they don't deserve to be policing adults.

Surprised they didn't shoot her.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by unphased

Originally posted by abeverage

Call the childs freaking mom... lol

UH YEAH...cause in some cases that NEVER makes thing worse???

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
The Scoucser's will be having a minute's silence.
They need little reason to do so

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I guess they'll have to start putting age dials on the tasers to alter the voltage. Probably starting at age 1.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by fluff007

I do not know if I agree that kids shall be tasered... it does not seem right to me...a clip round the ear would have served better..

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

join