It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Gourmet Vegan Cooking With Pics! :-)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by otherpotato

Tofu (and soymilk and okara because you'll get all three)

3 C soybeans (Yes, there are non-GMO soybeans, Virginia.
The Non GMO Project is a great thing.)
Lots of water
2 T Epsom Salt (or 1/3 C lemon juice)

Equipment:
2 large pots, food processor, colander, strainer, few layers of cheesecloth/muslin

Soak the soybeans overnight in one large pot with enough water to cover them with about 2" of water.

Rinse the soybeans and remove any discolored ones. Put the soybeans in the food processor with enough clean water to cover them. Process them until they are smooth. The smoother they are at this stage, the finer your tofu will be at the end. (I use two pots in order to process the soybeans in batches that will fit in my food processor and then dump it out into a pot. If you can empty your original pot and process all the soybeans at once, you don't need two pots.)

Add the processed soybeans to your largest pot with 12 C of water. Simmer 20 mins. This is going to foam a lot, which is why the largest pot was necessary. Stirring will help control the foam. Sometimes the foam seems to be attacking me like some weird alien mutant glosh.

At the end of 20 mins, strain the okara out of the milk. (Wait.. what?) The solids are okara and are a protein powerhouse. Okara can be used in casseroles, omelettes, scrambled eggs, cookies, muffins, bread, etc. (I feed my okara to my chickens.) When you've removed the okara what you have left is soymilk. I take out a quart canning jar or two.

Heat the soymilk back up to 180*. The temperature is important. If the soymilk doesn't get there, it won't coagulate. Dissolve 2 T Epsom Salt in 1 1/2 C water, or add 1/3 C lemon juice. These are the coagulators. Remove the pot from heat and stir together thoroughly. In 5 to 10 mins the curds will start to separate and the liquid will be yellowish. (If this doesn't happen in 10 mins you can give it another dose of coagulator, the same as described above.)

Place the cheesecloth in the colander and strain the curds into the cheesecloth. (If you're superfancy you can build a little wooden mold and have square/rectangular tofu just like storebought. I'm not superfancy.) Put a plate on top of the cheesecloth in the colander and then place something heavy on it. I use another quart canning jar fill with water on top of the plate.

If you like silken tofu, leave this set up for 5 mins. If you like firm tofu leave it for 20 mins.

Voila!! Okara, soymilk, and tofu.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

If you cook lentils in a saucepan, it will take up to 2 hours. You will need much more water (you will need to add water 2-3 times).

If you are using a saucepan, please add vegetables later as vegetables need less time to cook.

I suggest buying a pressure cooker as it cuts the cooking time.

I suggest adding milk and milk products to your diet. I do not advise vitamin pills as natural foods can give us all the nutrition. Milk is considered vegetarian as the animal is not killed in getting the milk.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Halekoch

I can do this....

Though looking at the effort expended I think it may be more worth it to just eat the damned soybeans! Which are so yummy...

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by otherpotato

Please do not eat the shell of soybeans (means whole soybeans).

Tofu and soymilk are good products. However these are hard to make at home (need equipment).

Chick-peas, Urad and Moong are the best lentils which can be eaten will the shell of the bean. The shell of these beans is very good for the body.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by GargIndia

Soybeans sold as "soybeans" do not have the shell on them here in the States, where otherpotato and I are. That's "edamame". There is absolutely no danger of her buying the wrong thing.

Neither soymilk nor tofu require any more equipment than I listed, unless you need tofu that looks like storebought and soymilk that is sugared and tastes like vanilla.... Feel free to add some sort of sugar and vanilla.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   

OK. Thanks.

Shelled soybeans are good. Somehow we do not get shelled ones in India.

I agree that shelled soy can be processed at home.

If you want to store foodstuff for emergency use, please use whole lentils as it will last longer.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Something sweet recipe - 'Halwa'

This is a very easy recipe and very tasty.

Ingredients: 200 gm or half pound semolina
100 gm refined cooking oil or unsalted butter (preferably unsalted butter)
100 gm sugar
one tablespoon de-seeded raisins, quarter cup chopped almonds (optional)

Use a frying pan or a wok for this recipe. Please use low heat setting.
Melt butter (or pour oil and heat) in the pan.
Add semolina. Use a wood spatula to turn semolina quickly so that butter/oil mixes with semolina.
Keep on turning until semolina becomes golden/brownish from white.

Add 2 cups of water and sugar. Keep on turning until the all ingredients are mixed. Now add raisins/almonds. Keep on turning until water is fully absorbed by semolina and the mixture becomes hard to turn.

Now switch off the heat, and cover the frying pan for 10 minutes. This will make the semolina fluffier and cool down the 'halwa' as well.

Serve hot as a side with lunch or dinner, or enjoy with toast in breakfast.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by GargIndia
Something sweet recipe - 'Halwa'

This is a very easy recipe and very tasty.

Ingredients: 200 gm or half pound semolina
100 gm refined cooking oil or unsalted butter (preferably unsalted butter)
100 gm sugar
one tablespoon de-seeded raisins, quarter cup chopped almonds (optional)

Use a frying pan or a wok for this recipe. Please use low heat setting.
Melt butter (or pour oil and heat) in the pan.
Add semolina. Use a wood spatula to turn semolina quickly so that butter/oil mixes with semolina.
Keep on turning until semolina becomes golden/brownish from white.

Add 2 cups of water and sugar. Keep on turning until the all ingredients are mixed. Now add raisins/almonds. Keep on turning until water is fully absorbed by semolina and the mixture becomes hard to turn.

Now switch off the heat, and cover the frying pan for 10 minutes. This will make the semolina fluffier and cool down the 'halwa' as well.

Serve hot as a side with lunch or dinner, or enjoy with toast in breakfast.

Do you have a North American measurement of the weight. Or should I get with the rest of the world and get a digital kitchen scale?

Sounds delish anyway.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ChuckNasty

Please use 1 cup of semolina, half cup of oil/butter, half cup sugar, 1 table spoon raisins, one table spoon diced almonds.

Thanks for pointing out measuring difficulty. Will provide relative measurements in future.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 03:25 AM
link   

I meant dry soybeans. Not the green beans. Just checked on Internet as I did not know about the word you used.

The lentil seeds have a shell or cover which is sometimes removed in India. The shell of soybeans is not edible.

If you are cooking green soy beans (not the dried variety), you will be eating whole soy seed. I am not sure if it is OK.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 06:02 AM
link   
"Peas Pulao" : Quick cooking recipe for saucepan (serves 2)

Ingredients:
white rice - one cup
green peas - half cup
cumin seeds - 1 teaspoon
salt - one teaspoon
black pepper - 1/4 teaspoon or to taste
green chilies - 4 (optional)
onion - 1 (optional)
Oil - 1 tablespoon

Wash and drain the rice. Chop onion and green chilies.

Put saucepan on medium heat. Put one tablespoon oil in the saucepan and let it heat for 20 seconds.

Put cumin seeds in the saucepan and shake the pan a little so that seeds spread all over and pop. It will take only 4-5 seconds.

Put chopped onions and chilies in the saucepan and shake it couple of times. Cook in oil for a minute.

Now put rice and peas in the saucepan. Add salt to it. Use a spatula to turn the contents thoroughly so that everything mixes well. Now put 2 cups of water in the saucepan and cover. Cook on low heat.

The rice should be cooked in about 10 minutes. Let it stand for 10 more minutes so that rice steams from residual heat. Sprinkle ground black pepper before serving.

Peas pulao can be served with lentil soup or other sides as you wish.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Some quick inexpensive veggie dishes....1..Saute some spinach with finely chopped garlic in olive oil,,add fresh lemon juice and salt and pepper,enjoy the simplicity and taste.....2..find some pita bread put it flat in a pan,top it with cooked vegetables of your choice and cheese then cook it with the led on or put it in the oven until cheese melts and bread gets crunchy,then top it with diced tomatoes,basil and olive oil....3...mix cooked ,diced potatoes with boiled eggs, green peas and diced pickles,mix them together well then add some garlic powder,salt and pepper,a little hot mustard and some mayo,mix them all well and serve it cold as a delicious salad.....4...grill some eggplants with the skin on,then skin then off and chop them finely.add finely chopped garlic salt and pepper and low fat yogurt,you can use this as a sauce or a meal....5....chop some parsley chilantro,dill weed and onions ,mix them together and add a couple of eggs,salt,pepper turmeric and cinnamon and mix the mixture well,then fry it in a pan in low heat until one side is done (like a pan cake),flip it over and do the same and you have yourself a tasty treat...Bon appetite.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   

I love Indian food,just bursting with flavors...That Halwa is amazing,I would have added some rose water,saffron and cardamom seeds as well...

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by shapur

Thanks. Sure can. Wrote that recipe for people who do not have many spices.

Will give many more simple quick recipes that can be easily prepared at home.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Thank you so much. I will try to pick one up today! Maybe it will help me cook rice more quickly, too. lol

Thanks to everyone who is sharing their recipes. I love trying new things!

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Thanks for encouragement.

I want to give a mild "Indian curry" recipe which is very simple to make as well. We shall do without chilly powder.
This curry can be used as a base for dozens of dishes.

Ingredients:

2 tablespoon chick-pea flour (can use corn flour instead as well).
one cup yogurt or buttermilk
1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds (crushed)
1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds (crushed)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 tablespoon oil or butter
1 onion finely chopped
2 tomatoes finely chopped (optional)

Utensil needed - saucepan and mixing bowl.

Put chickpea or corn flour in a mixing bowl. Add yogurt/buttermilk. Mix well with a spoon or hand blender.

Heat oil/butter in a saucepan on medium heat.
Add crushed mustard and coriander seeds. Shake the pan and then add chopped onions.
Saute onions for about one minute.

Add flour mixture. Add one cup water extra to the sauce pan and mix well.
Add salt and curry powder to the sauce pan. Keep on stirring.
Add tomatoes to the curry. Tomatoes are optional and you can do without them.

Lower the heat so that the content of sauce pan simmer slowly. put on a vented lid and let it cook for around 15 minutes.

Please try this curry and let me know. It will have a thick soupy texture.

You can add a lot of things to this curry - crunchy vegetables, potatoes, kofta (fritters), spinach etc. to make different dishes.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Spicy Indian Tofu and Mango Curry

Ingredients
2 medium mangoes, peeled and sliced, divided
1 (10 ounce) can coconut milk
4 teaspoons vegetable oil
4 teaspoons spicy curry paste
12-14 ounces tofu, drained, pressed, dried - cut into cubes
4 medium shallots, sliced
1 large English cucumber, seeded and sliced

Directions
Place half of the mango slices into the bowl of a blender with the coconut milk. Blend until smooth and reserve for later.

Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Stir in the curry paste, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the tofu and shallot; cook until the tofu is done and the shallots have softened, about 5 minutes. Pour in the mango puree, and cook until heated through. To serve, stir in the remaining mango slices and cucumber. Serve over rice.

Serves 4.

oddpenguin

edit on 6/4/2013 by oddpenguin because: Formatting.

edit on 6/4/2013 by oddpenguin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I know of several recipe sites you my find useful.

www.vegweb.com
www.mouthwateringvegan.com

Vegweb has several mac & cheese recipes, as well as cheece sauces. One of my favourites, though is this one:

Baked Mac ‘n’ Cheese
By Allison Rivers Samson
Serves 6
Ingredients for the pasta:
4 quarts water
1 tablespoon sea salt
8 ounces macaroni

For the breadcrumbs:
4 slices of bread, torn into large pieces
2 tablespoons non-hydrogenated margarine

For the cheese sauce:
2 tablespoons shallots, peeled and chopped
1 cup red or yellow potatoes, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup carrots, peeled and chopped
1/3 cup onion, peeled and chopped
1 cup water
1/4 cup raw cashews
2 teaspoons sea salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic, minced
1/3 cup non-hydrogenated margarine
1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon paprika

Directions:
1. For the pasta, in a large pot, bring the water and salt to a boil. Add macaroni and cook until al dente. In a colander, drain pasta and rinse with cold water. Set aside.

2. In a food processor, make breadcrumbs by pulverizing the bread and 2 tablespoons margarine to a fine texture. Set aside.

3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a saucepan, add shallots, potatoes, carrots, onion, and water, and bring to a boil. Cover the pan and simmer for 15 minutes, or until vegetables are very soft.

4. In a blender, process the cashews, salt, garlic, 1/3 cup margarine, mustard, lemon juice, black pepper, and cayenne. Add softened vegetables and cooking water to the blender and process until perfectly smooth.

5. In a large bowl, toss the cooked pasta and blended cheese sauce until completely coated. Spread mixture into a 9″ x 12″ casserole dish, sprinkle with prepared breadcrumbs, and dust with paprika. Bake for 30 minutes or until the cheese sauce is bubbling and the top has turned golden brown.

blog.allisonsgourmet.com...

Sometimes I just make the cheese sauce and use it on veggies, baked potatoes, or as a dip. It's really yummy. ^_^

If you're in the mood for cheese, Daiya makes "wedges" that are really good, even as-is. There is also a good vegan cheese-making book called Artisan Vegan Cheese by Miyoko Schinner. www.amazon.com...

oddpenguin
edit on 6/4/2013 by oddpenguin because: Formatting.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
STEAMED VEGETABLES

The recipe I shall be providing are suitable for simple home cooking, and use minimum ingredients (compared with spicy stylized restaurant cooking).

Steamed vegetables is an important part of Indian food.

You need one spices blend called "garam masala" for preparing steamed vegetables. If you do not have "garam masala", please use equal parts cumin powder and black pepper powder. You can keep them premixed in a jar.

One more item you need is rock salt. Powdered rock salt is sprinkled on steamed vegetables. It may be available in your area. It helps in digestion of fibrous material found in vegetables.

Steaming vegetables is a straightforward job. You need a saucepan. Put a cup of water in the saucepan and bring the water to boil. Then put your choice of coarsely chopped and cleaned vegetables (2 cups) in the saucepan. Put salt to taste. Lower the heat and cover the saucepan. Most vegetables will be steamed in around 10 minutes.

After steaming, drain any remaining water from the saucepan. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of "garam masala" for two cups of vegetables and 1/2 teaspoon of rock salt. Add one tablespoon of melted butter and turn the vegetables so that the spices and butter mix well with vegetables.

Serve the steamed vegetables as a side dish.

Please provide your feedback after trying this dish.

I pray for healthy and long life of all readers of this thread.

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
ROTI (flat-bread)

Whole grain flour - 2 cups (wheat/corn/rice/barley whatever is available)
Yogurt - 2 tablespoons (half cup)
Salt - 1/2 teaspoon

Put the flour in a mixing bowl. Add yogurt and salt. Now start kneading while adding water little by little. You have to be careful about water so that you do not end up adding excess water. Knead the dough till it is done and it does not stick to palm of your hand.

Now cover the bowl with a thick cloth and leave it for half an hour in a warm place.

Divide the dough into eight equal parts. Make each part spherical by using palms of your hands. Now roll each part into a circular roti.

You need a heavy flat bottom frying pan to cook the roti. Put the pan on heat. Oil the bottom of the pan a little once hot. Put the rolled roti in the pan. Use a cloth to rotate the roti in frying pan once (or shake the pan). Turn the roti and cook the other side in the same way. Repeat for the other rolled rotis.

The rotis can be served with lentil soup and steamed vegetables as sides. Enjoy.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join