It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Under The Dome

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Wonder why they haven't thought to did there way out hmmm

All in all I am looking forward to seeing what will happen.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   
DANGIT!!!!!! Completely my fault, but I didn't realize it was going to be on at 10 pm! I fell asleep waiting for it!
I came into work an hour early, to try to find it on the internet and am having no luck!!!!

And Am, If I remember correctly from the book, that will be addressed.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by amraks

I didn't read the book, but my guess would be that the dome (since it goes through everything) is probably underground too. It is probably a sphere vs. a dome.

The propane thing is intriguing...but obviously the main folks of the town are involved. Supposing they didn't know some weird dome was going to slam over them, my only guess is they either had some kind of prophetic warning, or are a bunch of meth heads...
King is pretty big on prophets (such as the two kids who had seizures), but who knows (other than those who read the book?).

Neat premise, and some pretty nasty effects of an instant invulnerable dome (the cow split, the truck crash, etc.)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I love Stephen King. (The Stand and The Talisman are my favorites). But I don't know how they are going to do this book on TV. I mean .. some of it is pretty ... um .... too
for TV. Necrophilia ... ya' know??

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I enjoyed it last night

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
Having a hotel come to life is silly.

DId you see the movie ... 1408? John Cusack. I really liked it. BOOOO!

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Finally found it on line.
I really liked it! Yeah, I see why it's on at 10pm. Very graphic! I am going to go back and read the book this weekend though. I remember some things, like big Jim, but not the reporter's hubby.

And FF, I really liked 1408 too!

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I read the book and it is my favorite Stephen King novel...

Big Jim is the best bad guy ever written, my favorite by far. I saw commercials for the movie and I would like to watch it but the guy they picked to play him doesn't fit the part at least not in looks. I wanted to see big jim played by John Goodman. The actor picked for the role might still play the it well but I would be so dissapointed if he didn't get the character right. I hope the man playing him read the book and knows what he is doing.

Does anyone know if this is available online? I have Netflix and Hulu only.

Any opinions on it yet?

I so badly want to watch it but I dont want to be dissapointed like I was with Needful Things.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by brandiwine14

I liked Needful Things, but then, I typically see movies first THEN read the books, to avoid disappointment.
I liked both the movie and the books (and Max Von Siddow (sp?), awesome)....

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Big Jim is the best bad guy ever written, my favorite by far. I saw commercials for the movie and I would like to watch it but the guy they picked to play him doesn't fit the part at least not in looks

My wife, who read the book (and still won't tell me why the propane) said the same thing. He didn't fit her mental image of him. Guess we'll see.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I like the actor who plays him (the guys in Breaking bad I think) my mental image was just like the actor but fatter.
I thought it was a good pilot, great choice casting wise for Barbie.
If I had to pick a hole it was to short, they should have done a double episode to drag you into the characters and story more.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Yeah, that would have been better, (and coming on at 9pm instead of 10)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
I love his work but, honestly, the bulk of his books are outstanding, until the ending. Seldom does he write a book that has an ending that is as well written, and thought out, as the beginning and middle.

Actually, if you've read his book "On Writing", it explains quite well why that is.
The beginning and middle are not well thought out, they are just good stories.
He let's his mind wonder and feels like he's the first one reading the book. If he gets excited, then he knows it's probably quite enjoyable for others as well.
The problem occurs when he realizes that the book has to end at some point.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Max Von Siddow was great at the role of Leland Gaunt.....it was just the rest of the characters and the ending it just really wasn't the book at all, idk I guess no book can be made into a movie perfectly.

Watched the first episode yesterday of Under The Dome and so far it seemed pretty good. I like Barbie and Julia. I think Big Jim so far is played well, based on looks alone he wasn't what I pictured but he seems so far to grasp the extent of douchery that I so loved in the book, so we shall see. I gotta say though I don't care for the add-on story lines so far but Junior seems to be perfect, they did good casting for him.

edit on 26-6-2013 by brandiwine14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
You guys forgot about Misery, that was a damn good adaptation of King. I do agree that most of King's movies kinda suck. The Stand was good, storywise, but the casting was somewhat awful. Sinise, Ringwald(yuck), Sheridan, Nemec, Fiorentino all sucked IMO. Walston, Faggerbakke, Dee, Lowe and Frewer were good, though.

Crowe as Roland? Please, say it ain't so, Joe!!! That guy sucks, at least to me. I can't stand his movies.

UTD was good, not great. Not sure if I like the changes, especially what they did to Barbie, but I'll have to wait and see as it might turn out better than expected.

At least this is a discussion. I read a bunch of threads on IMDB and those freaks there are awful.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by TheSpanishArcher

I'd never forget Misery for movie purposes but I haven't read it yet so can't give an opinion on it vs the book, but Kathy Bates is pure genius in everything she does and Misery was superb!

The stand.... you are right about Frewer and Lowe but Corin Nemec stole it, man he was good as Harold Lauder. I liked Sinise but couldn't stand Ringwald (normally a fan) as Frannie. Tom Cullen was well played by Fagerbakke too...m o o n that spells good.

IT..... was well cast I think, especially Pennywise. and the only other book I read so far by him (seen all King movies though) was Desperation and that was okay. Ron Perlman played Entragain well...but the rest ehhh, so so.

I wish that Storm Of The Century would be written into book form instead of just a miniseries. It was good but I bet it would have made a greater book. Stephen King knows bad guys like no one else.

Which is why I just loved to hate Big Jim Rennie....the best of the worst.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   

I respectfully disagree with Nemec as Lauder. I didn't buy it and changing the fact that he was fat at the beginning totally changed the character.

It, meh. Never liked Richard Thomas. Ok, but just not a fan of King's made for tv movies, although the remake of The Shining was more faithful to the book.

Storm Of The Century is a book, but it's the screenplay. I have it yet not read it. Never seen it either so I should get on that.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Well, let's face it fans, the movies and mini series are never going to "Hit It" just perfect, compared to the books. For me, it's just a matter of what I will accept with the changes.

I think we, the fans of the books, just have a great imagination. So we "see" the characters, and when they don't match up, we get disappointed. He has most definitely had some serious misses in the past, but there are some that the story itself in the movie was good enough for me to forgive the changes.

I really hope, that with him being directly involved with the making of this, he doesn't go to far astray. But, I also try to remember, that they are making this, to get people who have never read this or maybe any other of his books to watch as well.

I'll still keep my fingers crossed.
Oh, and anyone that has read it recently, have you noticed any major changes yet? I need to get going on the book again!

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

twas ok.

I don't recall the propane bit as I read the book a while back but I do think that Gaz hit it on the head. (won't say which reason is right)

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

I read it when it first came out so my memory is a little sketchy, but the only major changes I saw were Barbie with the dead guy and the lesbian couple. I may have to read it again after I finish this rather large tome Team Of Rivals that I'm currently plodding through.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join