It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Under The Dome

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Is anyone else eagerly awaiting this mini series? I sure am, cautiously.
I've read the book, and think it is one of his best books in quite a while. I love how detailed it gets into some of the characters and either their strengths, or in some cases breakdowns. I really enjoyed the whole SHTF scenario, although not in a way most on here expect.

So, what do you think? Have you read the book? Do you think they will be able to do it justice? I must say, I'm glad they went with mini series, as opposed to 2-3 hour movie, there is no way they could have got it right that way.

Under the dome
edit on 30-5-2013 by chiefsmom because: bad link

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
It was disappointing in an anti-climaxy way, which is surprising considering that he had thought about the idea since the 80's.

Also, when it comes to Stephen King things, it's not often movies can be made out of them.
They tend to be low-budget too, as they are converted into "a monster chases a bunch of people".
edit on 30-5-2013 by Nevertheless because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I didn't read the book I listened to the audiobook and loved it, must admit I have had my eye on the series for some time, looking forward to it I just hope they do not mess it up.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
This is about the last SK book that should go to TV. They can do it justice. Cripes, there's necrophilia in that book. That said if Stephen does the screenplay it should be OK. Look what he did with The Stand. Best made for TV movie I've seen. I'm not hopeful though.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

I actually did not know they were working on that, but now I'm excited. In my opinion, Stephen King's best selling feature is the characterization. He'll make you believe in the characters, and that gives you something to invest in. You feel their pain. In films, there have been frequent disappointments, though. The characterization is often lost to things that will have more entertainment appeal... and that just makes them "another movie".

They have done good work with his stories in mini-series, though. It's still hard to compare sometimes. Is it atmospheric? Have they just not gotten the overall tone quite right?

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
the trailer looks pretty cool.

as to the ending letdown, he worked on the book for decades, it's understandable that, eventually, he just tacked on a patented S King half thought-out ending. I love his work but, honestly, the bulk of his books are outstanding, until the ending. Seldom does he write a book that has an ending that is as well written, and thought out, as the beginning and middle.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Sounds like a bit of influence was taken from Wyndham's "The Midwich Cuckoos". Sounds interesting all the same though.

I'll be taking time to watch it

edit on 30/5/2013 by Grifter81 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
It's pretty sad when The Simpsons Movie handles the dome idea more maturely than Stephen King. Aliens, Stephen? Just quit.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by CrikeyMagnet
They have done good work with his stories in mini-series, though. It's still hard to compare sometimes. Is it atmospheric? Have they just not gotten the overall tone quite right?

"Atmospheric"? Damn good question and I think you hit on something here. When someone writes a screenplay for a SK book they tend to go with the action. See Cujo, Salem's Lot, Children of the Corn, etc. When Stephen does the screenplay he captures the nuances of the characters. The "atmosphere". Like I said, The Stand was amazing. He wrote that screenplay. There is only one other that I've seen that can capture King's atmosphere and that's Frank Darabount. Shawshank Redemption, Green Mile.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

SK has been directly involved and has a part in it.

Trailer here. 13 episodes also.

I wonder If the simpsons movie stole his idea

Another clip

Great cast also.
edit on 30-5-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

I was thinking the same thing last week. Just finishing the Dark Tower series again and it's like, "I've gotten this far, how do I end it?" The ending in Under the Dome is pretty weak. The book was compelling though. For a better book read Duma Key. About 5 years old and a complete book. And it's characters and storyline are really good. Not enough action for a movie though I guess.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   

I'll be watching it, but honestly I'd rather be watching The Dark Tower. There was all kinds of talk about a movie, a mini-series, a television series.....and then nothing.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
While I agree with most of you, on the disappointing endings of some of his books, (Dark tower anyone?) intreped, I , I did kind of like the end of this, although it did seem rushed. I did some cursory searching, but could not see who wrote this screenplay, although it was originally going to be on cable and someone had done a screenplay for that version.

And intrepid, I had forgotten about that, but I'm hoping that since it's on reg t.v., that won't be mentioned. I think I may actually go back and re-read the book before this comes on. Although I may be disappointed if I do that.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Thanks for the additional info!!! I'm glad to hear he was directly involved. There is hope for it! And being 13 episodes.

link   

Originally posted by littled16

I'll be watching it, but honestly I'd rather be watching The Dark Tower. There was all kinds of talk about a movie, a mini-series, a television series.....and then nothing.

Oh hell YES! HBO, Showtime, someone should pick this up. Let Steve do the screenplays. that would be 5 ecxellent season and you KNOW the King fans will sign up.

Yeah CM, that was Jr. Rennie's "harem". Only they were dead. About the darkest King novel I've read. Full Dark No Stars was as well.

link   
I didnt like the book, but I'm really excited about the tv series. Kings works tend to translate better when they have more time to expound on the characters. Such as a mini-series or tv show rather than a 2 hour movie.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Russel Crowe is Roland Deschain in, at least, one movie

www.uproxx.com...

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

I love his work but, honestly, the bulk of his books are outstanding, until the ending. Seldom does he write a book that has an ending that is as well written, and thought out, as the beginning and middle.

Glad I'm not the only one!

I will say though, that the mini-series made from his work, typically are WAY better than any movie, mostly because they have the time to do it justice...so high hopes for this. The Stand, Rose Red, The Langoliers, all much better than they would have been if a two-hour movie.

Even on HBO or Showtime though, I don't think they could really do the Dark Tower series without some MAJOR omissions. I mean, that's some really, really dark (and taboo) stuff...and probably more than enough justification to check under Stephen's porch for bodies...you know?
edit on 31-5-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Agreed. One thing I always found funny was that King hated Kubrik's take on the shining, hated the ending, specifically. To me, that ending was more realistic, made the movie scarier given the concept of cabin fever and the possibility of a man going crazy is scary as hell by itself. Having a hotel come to life is silly.

King's son, Joe Hill, has written 3 books, all of which read like they could be from King's own mind with the bonus of far better endings.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

I've noticed that, in the one Joe Hill book I read.

Look on the bright side of the Dome...no Tornadoes. Bet a lot of folks in OK would be ok with a dome about now....

<<   2  3  4 >>

join