It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Korean Dog Meat Farms - Graphic (NSFW or Kids)

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Lamegame

Can't.

I'm sick of the attitude of being politically correct or "sensitive" to other cultures. What they do is barbaric and disgusting. They should be ridiculed. F**k em.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Lamegame

There is nothing stupid about the reaction. Maybe a little hypocrisy, but this is not stupidity at all.
People react to differences in culture all the time. If it wasn't for some groups pointing out, and enhancing the differences, we wouldn't be able to blow each other up so easily.

And if it takes something this shocking to remind people that it goes on in this country too.. That's a silver lining to the horrors of what we make conscious beings go through, just to slap em on the dinner plate.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Oh. Dear. Lord.

My poor Maggy! All these dogs resemble my dog.

Let's put the political correctness of not criticizing other cultures aside.

This is grotesque. The most sociable and loyal of all animals, the dog, and you're eating it? What is with these east asian cultures and their willingness to eat anything that breaths and moves. Monitor Lizards, Scorpions, Human Fetuses, bees, tarantulas etc.

This behavior should be criticized! I can't bear to watch a dog be treated this way. There is something absolutely singular about dogs in the animal kingdom. No other civilized people can even think about eating dogs. But in east asia, where seemingly anything goes, they eat these beautiful and intelligent creatures.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by solarstorm

Me too!

I'm actually surprised how visceral my reaction is.

Anyone who has a dog knows how complicated and intelligent they can be. The way they can keep up social relations with humans, attempt to deceive them and manipulate them with their sweetness. The way they eagerly perform tricks and are excited about meeting new people.

Honestly, my heart is crying for those poor dogs.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ArcAngel

I dont like asian cultures for the reason they treat mans best friend like this.

I have listened to arguments that they are just food like any other animals. There are plenty of examples in real life that show the bond between dogs and humans. Here is a historical case.

en.wikipedia.org...

When i see stories like this it makes me wish the west could server itself "Completely" from the east and live separately with our own belief and values systems.
edit on 31-5-2013 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Raxoxane

I don't mean to split hairs, but the human-dog relationship is far more complex and rich with multi-layer interactions than that of the human-cow relationship.

Don't get me wrong, you can see cows as docile and good natured, over all. But that is as far as the relationship is going to go. You can't play with a cow. And with play comes a very special bond. It's the difference between high energy passion and low energy rest. The cow-human relationship, or for that matter, the human-horse-sheep-goose-chicken-dolphin etc relationship, can be emotional on many levels. But due to essential differences, whether in temperament, habitat (like dolphins, in water, cows, in the open, etc) size (horse), humans can only form a limited relationship. The size of a dog, it's sociable qualities (pack animals), it's temperament, it's living conditions, as well as other factors, all contribute to a stronger relationship with human beings.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 12:57 AM
link   
It's all well and good people citing the right for differing cultures to indulge in different eating habits. But that's not the point. The points are:

• Dogs and cats are domesticated animals and therefore feel an innate attachment to human beings
• Slaughtering puppies and kittens has no justification whatsoever; even veal is shunned in most Western societies
• The practice of torturing the animals before killing them, in a Neanderthal belief that is makes the carcass taste better, is asinine beyond qualification
• The method in which they dispense of the animals is oftentimes utterly vile and as far from humane as conceivable (boiling any animal alive would qualify as a death sentence in a world where I were the ruler)
• The squalid conditions in which these animals are kept, slaughtered and sold (even consumed!) is indicative of a people who are below the evolutionary threshold we classify as civilised and thus can not be viewed through a Westernised prism or afforded the same dispensations
• You cannot treat a nation as your partner and equal when the activities it engages in and advocates are barbaric by your own standards- this is known as hypocrisy
• If we label North Korea Dickensian and Third World, what do we call their siblings who engage in similar heinous pastimes, only with a faster Internet connection?
• As the dominant species, we're eating, pouching, culling, polluting and extincting ourselves through pretty much every other living species on this planet- where does our viral nature end and our humanity begin?

If you turn a blind eye to or try to qualify this kind of virus-like behaviour, you're what's wrong with the world today.
edit on 31-5-2013 by FromMyColdDeadBrain because: spelling

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Astrocyte

I know.I am a great animal lover.I have 4dogs of my own.Its incomprehensible to me-how people can even consider eating dogs.Because as I feel,there IS a difference between eating dogs and eating chicken or beef.Its the level of consciousness and awareness dogs havem. There IS a difference+i know it as well as you do.But you're preaching to the converted-I am not an individual or of a nation known for eating dogs.And do you think those South Koreans are ever going to see dogs the way we can perceive them,their natures,the souls inside that makes them better people than most humans?No-they don't have that ability-there is some dreadful deficiency in them.So they will never stop eating dogmeat.There is no cure for what they have.The best we can do for those dogs then,is to push for laws to make their deaths quick and painless.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Raxoxane

No-they don't have that ability-there is some dreadful deficiency in them.

lol....I wouldn't go that far.

East Asians are lagging in the humanitarian sphere. Which is ironic. As more and more westerners absorb Eastern spiritual ideas (from Buddhism and Taoism, for example), East Asian cultures remain woefully inept at making distinctions between things.

And it's not just Confucianism. Take Judaism. Judaism and Confucianism have many things in common: a practical approach towards spiritual living that emphasizes the commonplace. And yet, Judaism has disallowed eating certain animals. In fact, much of what the modern world considers "acceptable" in regards to animal meat, is largely traceable to Jewish Dietary law. Cows, Sheep, Ox, Poultry, and Fish are basics of most peoples diets. But animals with paws (felines, canines, etc) are excluded, probably because these animals possess traits considered damaging to civilization (based on a assumed transference between animal temperament and human temperament).

But Confucianism has always been far more practical. In Confucian terms, most things are appropriate for eating. This is a part of the raw "efficiency" calculus of Asian thinking. Hunger + Eating = Satiety. How one finds satiety is seemingly unimportant.

After finishing the book "The Devouring Dragon: How China's Rise Threatens Our Natural World", the author quotes a Chinese economist who says, outright, that there is no people on this planet as selfish as the Chinese. Their complete disregard for the environment, for other animals, and for the future natural world, is unparalleled. Chinese argue that they are merely following the model established by the west; while that may be true, no one can deny that Western countries are trying to come to terms with the effect their practices have had on the worlds ecosystem. 100 years later, we lament at the fact that a large portion of the ancient forests have been expunged because of unrestricted economic plundering of natural resources. Now China - a nation of 1.3 billion - imagines it can follow the same course, without causing 2-3 times the damage done by western nations. The Chinese must understand that the environment wont be able to tolerate 500 million people people wanting hardwood floors for their family rooms, wooden houses, rare skins, etc.

East Asians aren't "innately" unresponsive to the higher morality the west has developed. Many in fact embrace our morality. However, we need to seriously move away from this cultural relativism idiocy that prevents us from criticizing the blatantly immoral practices of other cultures.

The seemingly callous attitude towards illegal imports of rare woods, like the New Guinean Kwili, the continued ravishment of Indonesian, Brazilian and central African jungles for woods, leading to their further degradations (and the manifold ecological ramifcations they will create) at a rate that doesn't allow the ecosystem to recover, all has to be rescinded.

So too, can East Asians come to a proper understanding of how incredibly wrong it is to eat dogs.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   

I just want to ask a question about species transfer of "rabies" - dogs carry it, cats carry it, racoons carry it - maybe that is a key to what other mammals humans shouldn't eat - because rabies is definetly morbid to humans.?

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Sankari

The American public spends 30 BILLION DOLLARS on their pets,yearly . That's about 15 billion dollars worth of worship .
And where do dogs work in the USA ?
Bomb and cadaver sniffing and K9 dogs are hero's,as are our military dogs . We rehab them and adopt them out when their work is done .

We raid and close down puppy mills ,and people are now prosecuted for animal cruelty or dog fighting .
There are idiots everywhere .That's no reflection on animal loving Americans .

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Know how when you go to a seafood restaurant ,and you can pick your lobster out of the tank,and they take it and prepare it for you ?
In vietnam ,they have cages piled in about four rows high ,six rows long,all filled with dog. You pick your dog out ,and they take it back to the chef .

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by fictitious
reply to post by ArcAngel

My main concern is HOW they are raised and slaughtered. If dogs (or any animal) has to be raised for food, they should have adequate space and death should be quick and as painless as possible. Being cruel only adds insult to injury, and there doesn't need to be cruelty to raise and consume food sources.

This pretty much sums up my feelings as well. It would be nice to just have less meat as a populace, and therefore fewer animals to breed, so that the ones we do eat have enough space, food, water, etc.

This is a little off-topic, but recently I read about some work being done to grow meat in the lab. Basically, the ability to just take a small sample of meat, and feed the tissue until it grows to the proper size. It would be in sterile conditions, so it would not only negate the need to raise and slaughter animals, but also the massive spread of antibiotics in our food supply. Strangely, people I talk to are squeamish about it, but I see it as a great alternative to raising and killing animals.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   

What makes eating dogs any worse than eating pigs, dolphins, horses, chickens, octopi,etc?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join