It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WOW!!! I did not know Anne McCaffrey died in 2011!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I was looking at youtube videos and somehow I stumbled onto some Dragonriders of Pern videos and discovered Anne McCaffrey passed away 2 years ago. I am stunned, there was no obituaries about her in any of my geek forums at the time.
I LOVED reading the Pern series, and think I read EVERYONE but Dolphins of Pern. In thr 1980's, I used to belong to a fanfic club based on the High Reaches Weyr. I loved writing fanfic based in Pern.
So Anne McCaffrey, whererever you may be, may you fly clearskies.

Honor those the dragons heed,
In though and favor, word and deed,
Worlds are lost and worlds are saved,
By those dangers dragon-braved.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Oh she died?! Yep, never heard anything about it. Thats really sad, I'm a big fan of the Pern books

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Awww. My sister and I used to correspond with her (and Piers Anthony) when we were kids. She was really nice and tolerated us well, lol. We loved her books. Hmmm, come to think of it, Piers Anthony is getting pretty old, too. May he live to be over 100.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Wow, I didn't know either!

That is sad!

I never read any of her books,
as I was into Dragonlance.
I used to feel like I would of been a traitor for reading them,
as silly as that sounds,
but I loved the artwork on the covers.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

Piers Anthony is awesome!
I sent him an e-mail once telling him about how he kept me reading in high school and he sent me a book sticker to put on my favorite book, and one of the lines he wrote on the sticker was I could strip it and stick it., and then commented that gee that sounds dirty doesn't it?

My son found the sticker and ruined it, but to this day I still chuckle over that!

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71
Wow, I didn't know either!

That is sad!

I never read any of her books,
as I was into Dragonlance.
I used to feel like I would of been a traitor for reading them,
as silly as that sounds,
but I loved the artwork on the covers.

You wouldnt be a traitor, two totally diffrent stories. I also read the Dragonlance books as well, and I wasnt banned from Dragonrider books lol

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
This is sad. I have loved Anne McCaffery for years as well. I have been searching the used book stores to get a copy of everything she has written. The Pern series is incredible, as well as some of the shorter series that she wrote. I can think of 4 that I have been searching out, Pern of course, the Rowan series, the Acorna series and the Crystal singer series. They are all incredible, it has always impressed me that she could create so many different worlds and stay true to each individual one.

Her son Todd McCaffery worked with her on a prequel set to the Pern books. Dragon Harper is the first one that I found, and then a later book by Todd only called Dragonheart. You can tell the difference in their styles, but he does a pretty good job, so Pern lives on.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I had no idea that she had passed away!
I was lucky enough to meet her at a sci fi convention when I was just a kid. She was very sweet to me when I was too shy to even speak to her.
Of course the Pern books were amazing, but my favorites were Crystal Singer and Killashandra. I used to get completely swept up and taken away to the worlds she created.

Thanks for letting us know that she is gone.
RIP Anne

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Awww, I didn't know either. RIP Anne and thank you for taking us to worlds we have never been before.

edit on 28-5-2013 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

Last time I wrote him, I had just come back from a trip to Europe that was a high school graduation present. Told him that I had to write to tell him how, while traveling through the divided Germanies, it reminded me so much of Proton and Phaze. He agreed, lol. Wish I could remember more of what he said on the subject but it was a great reply.
lol Not at all surprised by the sticker. Can't read the Xanth books without knowing that Anthony is a puntastic lecher!

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

Indeed, that's punny!

The Xanth series was my favorite,
Everyone has a talent!
*snaps finger and watches a pebble flip over*

I think the next time I see a Pern book I will read it
in memory of Anne McCaffrey.

top topics

join