It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two dead, five hurt in Texas shooting spree

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by RalagaNarHallas

Yes, the cops put an end to it, not some gun-totin' civilians. Exactly my point. Having guns doesn't make you any safer from a crazed gunman.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by DestroyDestroyDestroy
It's funny how whenever there's a shooting spree in the east or west coast some assclown always comes along and says, "Heh! Try pulling something like that off in Texas where everybody haz gunz."

Well, I guess this guy did.

Just goes to show you how guns don't protect you from people with guns.

Authorities recovered an assault rifle, a handgun and hundreds of rounds of ammunition from the suspect, who was said to be 23 years old and from North Carolina. The name was withheld pending notification of relatives, the Texas Department of Public Safety said in a statement.

Bad situation with a determined individual on the move firing from a vehicle at random people. Have to wonder what the motive was and were there drugs or was there a prescribed psychotropic drug-history. With the arms/ammo they had allot more damage could have certainly happened.....Remember the D.C. sniper?

Yep Texas could be more like Chicago abclocal.go.com.../local&id=9116604

May 26, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- At least 17 people have been shot over the Memorial Day weekend, and six of them died.

At least in Chicago those who were shot we done so with unregistured and illegal guns; no doubt the ones who suvived feel much better guns are banned there. Detroit homicides are the red dots.on the below map. Gun ban works great there too... if you want to be a victum.... www.google.com... CIAL01%2F120606001&ei=P9aiUduXN4fi0gHcjoGYBw&usg=AFQjCNFU-DsRprzoJcZdqO9n5C16WpKGsA&sig2=PbOsSNhtH-3JfC8oQ_DV9w&bvm=bv.47008514,d.dmQ

edit on 26-5-2013 by 727Sky because: .....

edit on 26-5-2013 by 727Sky because: ...

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

well gun crime is down the last few years with a doj pdf to prove it what is increasing is the media coverage for these things,if they didnt have guns he would have just been hitting people with his truck gta style,or stabbing people Chinese style,or blowing people up with ammonium nitrate like the Boston bombers/McVeigh style,or beating them with clubs LAPD/mob style where their is a will to harm and hurt there will be a way and no amount of legislation short of thought crime will stop people who are determined to hurt people

bjs.gov... link to the pdf for what it is worth but some how i take it you wont read it and or not care

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC

It's funny how whenever there's a shooting spree in the east or west coast some assclown always comes along and says, "Heh! Try pulling something like that off in Texas where everybody haz gunz."

you know, you DO have a point lol
no he doesn't. The only dead victim wasn't carrying a gun. The shooter had enough ammo to kill many more people but was stopped.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by DestroyDestroyDestroy

or you can take it the way i did,like the mall shooting in clakamas(sp i think this was where it was) there was a ccw holder who did not engage for fear of hitting the innocents locate behind his target,i get it you have your agenda and i have mine. you are free to look at it in the way you do where as i look at it as hey we arent all as rambo as you think we are in the fact that a lynch mob did not shoot him but the civilians let the police handle it.

this was not a bank robbery where a ccw holder got the drop on the gun man or a robbery gone bad,this guy was blasting rounds out of a moving vehicle and as cops arent even suposed to shoot at people in moving cars unless they are being charged again it shows that any (if there were any armed people in the area) chose to take the safe course and not engage the threat and leave it to the police

now had this been a home invasion robbery where the homeowner had their own gun taken from them and used on them you might have a point but as this guy was for lack of a better term playing real life Grand theft autto(the video game not the actual crime) and shooting people at random from a moving vehicle
edit on 26-5-2013 by RalagaNarHallas because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Here is more information from MSNBC. It doesn't clear up much like the other articles. The detectives are reviewing multiple crime scenes at the moment.
Source

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   

just out of curiosity what exactly is your plan if some one starts shooting randomly at you out of a moving car for no apparent reason? run? throw rocks? shoot back on the off chance you have a ccw or cary a gun?

hell for all we know this happened in a high crime area where the only people with guns could have been criminals and some how i dont think if that was the case that they would be too likely to do anything to help the problem

as even in the UK(easier to get a silencer in UK then usa,or at least they dont tax it separately) Canada(our well armed neighbor to the north) and Australia(probably the least armed of the bunch) they have guns (diffrent laws and regulations) but they still have them what is your plan if some one steals a gun from a legal gun owner or just slipped through the cracks and gets one on their own and starts shooting people...you gonna call the cops and hope they miss?these countries also have gangs as well and they sure dont care about laws

this is why these kind of things are hard to do anything about as if he had opened up on cops in the first place veven they would have been taken by surprise as most cops are not prepared to react to this kind of thing with out warning so tell us oh wise one what would u have done in this situation?

my plan if this happens is to see if i have a clear safe shot with out killing any one innocent and then possibly engage if i feel its safe but more likely i will duck seek cover and hope for the best and hope some one who is better with a hand gun then i am (be they police or civilian) takes the monster down.as my carry piece is a 1851 navy black powder .44 revolver im more then a little out gunned and not the most accurate in the grand scheme of things but at least i wont have to worry about over penetration shooting conical s and round ball

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix267

with the distance invovled ie he was driving around shooting at random it will be awhile before we find out anything more detailed they are not even releasing most of the victims names yet,you really got a jump on most of the msn with this thread i think by the middle of next week we will have a better idea what happened.props on staying on top of this as well as you have well done op

edit to add you beat glp by almost a full 20 minutes so again well done and getting to it before our competition

edit on 26-5-2013 by RalagaNarHallas because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   

A gunman randomly firing from his pickup truck killed one person and wounded five, including the sheriff of Concho County, Texas, on Sunday before the suspect was killed in a shootout with law enforcement, officials said. Authorities recovered an assault rifle, a handgun and hundreds of rounds of ammunition from the suspect, who was said to be 23 years old and from North Carolina. The name was withheld pending notification of relatives, the Texas Department of Public Safety said in a statement.
www.albanytribune.com... most recent news article i could find on it but it seems he even manged to get a cop in his random attacks as well so even the highly trained and paid to do so people with guns were caught unawares shows exactly how dangerous random acts of violence are and the importance of the element of surprise is in tactical situations

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   

..The plan while being fired upon is easy:

1- Evaluate: Am I hit ? No, got to #2
2- Duck nad cover: Find a "safe" spot to cover from gun fire.
3- Indentification: Try and I dentify the shooter.
4- Evaluate the situation: Are there any wounded I can help ? No, got to #5
5- Can I take the shooter out safely? Yes, TAKE ACTION ! No, go to ##6
6- Call police and stay safe, attend to any wounded.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC

you know, you DO have a point lol

The guy got lucky that nobody around had a gun.

Except the cops of course.
edit on 27-5-2013 by whatsecret because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Not everyone in Texas owns a gun, I'd say 95% of the people I deal with day to day do not carry. Though they may have plenty at home.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   

As a Texan I feel I can speak with experience here. While most Texans have firearms in their homes (every single person I know has at least one, but most have more) the majority of folks do not carry firearms in their vehicles. I only carry a firearm in my vehicle if traveling outside of my usual areas or traveling late at night alone.

Even if some of the vehicles that the perpetrator shot at had firearms in them one is certainly not expecting anyone to start shooting at them out of the blue, and to return fire one would have to know for certain exactly which other vehicle the shots came from and chase that particular vehicle down to return fire. When one is driving he/she is certainly paying attention to the road and not eyeing other vehicles for potential sniper activity.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Suspect was killed in a shootout with law enforcement. Not sure if English is your first language or not, but that means that guns DID protect citizens from people with guns. He didn't get to use those hundreds of rounds he had because other people with guns showed up to prevent it.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Ummmm....the gunman was shot and killed. He wasn't tickled to death or talked out of it.

The lengths people will go to bash gun ownership.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   

He had to travel to Texas to get a good deal
on one of the guns Eric Holder and Barak Obama
sold during Fast and Furious.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Well I notice you are typing this in
English and not Japanese or German.
Or Russian either for that matter.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   

the mobile gunman was shooting a semi automatic weapon from a moving vehicle at 430 in the morning.
he probably picked that time when no one with a firearm is out except the police.

he was shot by police also because civilians would not fire rounds on a fast moving target in a city.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Having guns doesn't make you any safer from a crazed gunman.

The police (good guys) had guns and the police (good guys) used their guns
at the same time the shooter (bad guy) used his gun to shoot at the police (good guys).
One of the police (good guys) was wounded by and with a round fired by the mobile sniper (bad guy).

The police (good guys) continued to use their guns to eventually kill the mobile sniper (bad guy)

guns in the hands of bad guys makes everyone less safe.
guns in the hands of good guys (police and law abiding citizens)
makes a majority of people safe except
bad guys who want to make everyone less safe.

DestroyDestroyDestroy do you need any further explaination?

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Unfortunately, the bjs.gov link covers the period from 1993 and 2011. No figures for 2012-2013. Also, there isa difference between the targets of gun violence. Gun violence, overall, has declined over the years in part due to various direct and indirect legislation and policies. The bulk of gun violence is typically targeted killings--not random acts perpetrated on random people. We've had more random shootings over the last year than what is typical. Personally, I think much of it has a dash of copy cat and the other portion is based on socioeconomic circumstances and a dash of 2012 insanity. Can't have people wishing the world would've ended last December without a few of them getting really mad that it didn't.

Edit: Let me also add that any gun restriction would probably shift things from gun violence to bombs.
edit on 27/5/13 by WhiteAlice because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join