It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dreamliner teething problems continue

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by waynos

I'm actually kind of mad that they're going to the C-5M now, because they're taking away those atrociously unreliable engines, that make the most amazingly recognizable whine. I love that sound!

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

It certainly is but none the less somewhat related to the "teething" problems of the airliner. Hoping to get another glimpse of it tomorrow although it wil be sitting quitely on the tarmac :-)

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by tomra

Oh, I know, it's definitely related. But unlike the other times when it went down for them, this one is planned ahead of time, and not a sudden problem.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 01:31 AM
link   
do you think the 787 is safe to fly?

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   
do you think the plane could do this if it was fully loaded with passengers cargo etc, just what percentage of full flight power do pilot usually fly on.?

www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by hamishsubedei

I'd get on one today.

As for the display, yes, but only after it's burned some fuel off to lighten the load. They only fly on full power on take off, and climb out. It's hard on the engines to use full power too long.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   

This made me smile

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by waynos

That's just WRONG! Thanks for the laugh.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Zaphod58
reply to post by hamishsubedei

They only fly on full power on take off, and climb out. It's hard on the engines to use full power too long.

About 99% of all takeoffs we did on the B777 were reduced power takeoffs, i don't think i ever did a full power takeoff with pax in the back.

Large twin engine jets hav lots of excess power, and engine wear + possible engine out scenario are two important reasons to go reduced power.

I expect the B787 to be much like the B777 when it comes to handeling, thrust/weight ratio etc.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Ivar_Karlsen

Most likely yes, but that would be the only time that they WOULD fly on full power, especially places like Dubai. One of the things Dubai has asked for is a more powerful engine because even as powerful as some of them are now, they have trouble with max weight take offs some days, due to the heat at ground level. So they want to see an engine that they could do max weight take offs, every day, regardless of temperature.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Seems like there may be more battery problems occurring?

TOKYO - (Reuters) - Japan Airlines Co Inc said that a Boeing 787 Dreamliner flight from Helsinki to Tokyo experienced problems with the same type of battery that caught fire in Boston in January and grounded the 787 fleet worldwide for three months. The JAL website said on Sunday that the battery on JAL flight 414 on Friday did not overheat or emit smoke, but that a cockpit indicator showed trouble with the battery connected to the plane's auxiliary power unit during the flight. "However, the voltage and electrical current were within normal range and there was no effect on the remainder of the flight," the airline added. Inspections of the battery, which was removed and replaced, were continuing. Boeing officials were not immediately available for comment.

www.newsdaily.com...
edit on 10-11-2013 by solidshot because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by solidshot

They've found one of the biggest problems with reliability is that the software isn't clearing old alerts, so they come back up when there's no problem. It could be that, or it could just be a faulty battery.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by solidshot

The problem was the charger, not the batteries in this one. They sent the charger back to the manufacturer to examine it.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   

How are the development issues of the 787 compared to other Boeing aircraft? I had heard that they were on par with other "new" aircraft when they came out.
I would think that the rate of "bugs to work out" would be slightly more than the average aircraft program due to the newness of the tech that went into the airframe.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Can you tell me what looks like an open hatch near the tail at 6:27 in this video is? Also I've seen test flight video where there's a small parachute tied to the tail. What is that about?
www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Mikeultra

Not sure what the small door on the tail does but I have read that the small cone that is attached to the tail during testing is a trailing cone used to measure static pressure free from the disturbances created by the aircraft. Look toward the bottom of this thread page Link (sorry I can't attach pics) for a pic of it hanging off the tail of the 787.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Mikeultra

Can you tell me what looks like an open hatch near the tail at 6:27 in this video is? Also I've seen test flight video where there's a small parachute tied to the tail. What is that about?
www.youtube.com...

Air intake for the auxiliary power unit.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Sammamishman

It's about on par, or slightly ahead of the 777 when you take out the grounding.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Mikeultra

It's a RAM air door for the APU.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   

abecedarian

Mikeultra

www.youtube.com...

Air intake for the auxiliary power unit.

Thanks to both of you. I always thought the small hole under the tail was some kind of cabin pressure equalizer.
That hatch on the 787 doesn't look aerodynamic like that. Is it always left open? Here's a Airbus APU exhaust pipe.

I'm starting to like the 787. They should downsize Air Force 1, and make it a 787.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join