It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

United Nations suggests eat bugs. Look, yummy 3D printed worm squares!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
www.washingtonpost.com...

Look at all the dry dog food like squares of worm paste. Doesn't it look so yummy?

edit on 21-5-2013 by jessieg because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-5-2013 by Gazrok because: Fixed vid link

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Yes but does it taste better than Soylent Green?

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Insects are much better dry roasted with a lot of seasoning, to be honest...like roasted seeds. (and taste like them)

I don't go for anything that "squishes" though...very unpalatable.

While not my first dietary choice, I'd have none of the typical cultural qualms about eating them though. I often will eat dry roasted insects as a lark to gross out friends (there are places that sell actual packaged ones at some of our nearby theme parks).

Just remember, the more colorful the bug, the more awful the taste.

I can certainly see this as a protein idea for starving countries though. There are lots of ways to make it more palatable, though a 3D printer isn't one that comes to mind.

I would think more like making a paste that is then mixed with soy and seasonings for patties, for example. Not this dog food like substance.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I have been on the lookout for the big cicada invasion, so I can try some of the recipes found in this PDF Link :

www.newsdesk.umd.edu...

Haven't spotted any so far, and still haven't heard the constant noise so perhaps I am in the wrong area

A decent piece on consuming cicadas was published in April over at National Geographic for those interested :

news.nationalgeographic.com...

Bon Appetit !!!

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Interesting...blanching them for about 5 minutes makes the insides harden up more, so would be almost crawfish like.

Also kind of a funny reminder about folks getting grossed out about it, yet loving to eat shrimp, crawfish, or lobster, when they are basically the same kind of thing, just sea insects.

Of course, unless a SHTF event, I'm never going to get others in my household to eat bugs. They simply haven't traveled as much as I have, so still have typical Western attitudes towards diet.
edit on 21-5-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Okay, now the things I saw for how a turkey goes from shipping dock to dinner plate don't seem near as bad anymore. They can all eat bugs. I'll be over by myself, enjoying my pot roast or beef stew with yummy mystery meat. Not creepy crawly things.

Besides.. Creepy Crawly things all seem to bite and usually, with something just a bit extra to the sharp part doing the biting. Yuck... I hear Alpo is good from some people too. Call it just another one of life's mysteries that I am quite happy to let remain a mystery.

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Agreed.... I love the substitution of cicadas instead of shrimp or mudbugs (crawdads) in that classic southern boil...

Maryland Cicadas
Ingredients:
1/2 cup Old Bay® Seasoning
2 tablespoons salt
4 quarts water
1 (12 fluid ounce) can beer (optional)
8 red potatoes, quartered
2 large sweet onions, cut in wedges
2 pounds lean smoked sausage, cut in 2-inch lengths
8 ears fresh corn, broken in half
4 pounds large cicadas
Directions:
1. In an 8-quart pot, bring Old Bay, salt, water and beer to a boil. Add potatoes and onions; cook over high heat for 8 minutes.
2. Add smoked sausage to potatoes and onions; continue to cook on high for 5 minutes. Add corn to pot; continue to boil for 7 minutes. Add cicadas, cook for 5 minutes.
3. Drain cooking liquid. Pour contents of pot into several large bowls, shallow pails or mound on a paper-covered picnic table. Sprinkle with additional Old Bay if desired.

** from PDF linked in my previous post..

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Beat you to it.

I already posted that here.
With more video.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Lots of people from different cultures eat insects,so there is nothing inherently wrong with that. But i want UN to lead by example, when all the top dogs over there would start eating insects ,the rest of us may follow.
Why do i doubt that it will ever happen though...

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

I'm pretty sure I'd rather eat this 3D printed dog food vs. starve to death though. Still, I have to think there is a better production method than using a $10,000 printer that takes too much time to crank out a decent amount of material.

I always get so upset when watching Survivor on TV, because these people are SURROUNDED by food, and yet always complain about being hungry (and then I'll see footage of crabs, rats, snakes, fish, or monkeys). All of which are EDIBLE!!!

I mean, I'm no Grizzly Adams or Robinson Crusoe, but I do know that with a stick of bamboo, 3 palm tree thorns, and some tree sap, I can make a fishing spear that will give me all the food I need there.....
edit on 22-5-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 04:36 AM
link   
This is why culinary excellence lays in the spices. You can eat just about any insect/worm with a little ms. dash, tobbasco sauce, and a nice fire to roast them. Perhapes, one can breed their own stock as to know where their food comes from. Have an insect farm or a worm farm!
Just remove the legs and wings and your good to go.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Siberbat

As a SHTF thing, not a bad idea. I mean, they reproduce like crazy, and have quick life cycles, everything you want from a renewable protein source. Something to seriously investigate if really serious about renewable protein. Of course, it would TAKE a SHTF event for me to get my loved ones onboard, hehe....

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Earthworms don't taste bad if they are cleaned properly and cooked right. It helps if you don't know what they are the first time you eat them though. You have to get that gunk out of their guts.

Chocolate covered ants taste good, I had those twice. Chocolate covered raisins are better though.

I would rather eat a good grass fed naturally aged hamburger anyday that grains
I'd much rather have the fish eat the worms and then I'll eat the fish.
I hate inhaling mosquitoes and sandflies, let the chicken eat the bugs and I will eat the eggs.
We can't be taking away food from our food.

new topics

top topics

join