It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Could Soon Get Their Hands On The US Militarys 'Pain Ray'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
The military's 'Active Denial Pain Gun' could soon become a handheld version carried by cops.

According to New Scientist, Raytheon, the defense contractor behind the pain gun, is working on a portable version;
Raytheon is now building smaller versions for law enforcement or commercial maritime use – designed to be placed inside buildings, such as prisons, or mounted on ships for defence against, say, pirates. And soon there could be handheld versions of the pain ray. Raytheon has developed small experimental prototypes, one of which is about the size of a heavy rifle and is intended for police use.

I for one would'nt fancy being hit by it.

Link

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
The goverment and corporations have gone completely rogue....
the people will be the victims of all this research...freedom will be no more...............

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Awesome news! I really want one of these, I'll make my own ferengi pain stick. Yay.

And what awesome statistics, 11,000 people hit and only 8 ever burnt, in a controlled and contained environment. Only 8 people !!! That's amazing odds.

I mean, it's worse than tasers. And not as effective as actually shooting a criminal as he decants on foot in the opposite direction to the law who are saying "Oi, you stop!" but it burrrrrnnsss...

In seriousness (no the above is not serious.. well I do want a pain stick, but..) I can see this being sort of a barrier creation device. Invisible walls. And as a new age water cannon. Blast you pesky protesters right back into the sweat shops and dilapidated homes you come from. None of this "peaceful protest" shenanigans.

But I can't see it as a replacement for conventional weapons, apart from a compliance device. Which tasers are, effectively, despite being marketed originally as a safe non-lethal alternative to putting small pieces of lead into someones body, and not compliance devices.

I see no practical use for this in a domestic environment, as the very idea of it in a domestic environment implies that the people using them are intending to cause pain. nothing more. And in the pursuit of law and order, I don't recall reading "inflicting pain and potential burns" as part of the policy.

Ack, this one I don't see a lot of good - seems like a technology being invented and purposed to military/police use, and then realised as to what causes it can be put to.

Only the bad guys in star trek had pain compliance devices... We're not doing this very picard at all..

edit on 16-5-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

yeah I am pretty sure it would go against Star fleet code of conduct lol.

I bet it is not too hard to up the power on those things to make them more lethal, doubt we get to see those experimental training videos.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Oh goody! Another torture and abuse device for the boys in blue,tan,camo, etc! No more rubber hoses to beat confessions out of suspects. Pull the trigger and instant pain! I imagine if it is pointed at short range at the head it will cook the brains enough that the suspect won't even remember a thing. We will need tinfoil suits to go with our hats!

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Hmm seems there's a threshold to what level of pain is considered cruel and unusual punishment... if so I'd like to know what that is and if there is not then I'd really like to see a discussion on it for devices such as these.

top topics

join