It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whose tech is better: 'Star Trek' or 'Star Wars'?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
From my memory the Borg cube does not have a convenient little hole that if you launch a couple of Proton torpedoes into leads straight to the main reactor and ensures complete destruction. The Death Star, well that's a different matter, serious design flaw if you ask me! LoL

That being said Star Wars does have the force on its side!
edit on 16-5-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I don't know about you guys... but this thread is going to be in EPIC PROPORTIONS!!!!

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof

What Jedi? There's just Luke.

I guess the number of Jedi depends on which era we are talking about.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by andy06shake

That being said Star Wars does have the force on its side.

Then you would have to take into consideration the power of Q from Star Trek, an Omnipotent being.... can make universe disappear.

The "Force" is pretty rare in the Star Wars universe as well.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ratcals

Exactly.

In order to discuss one universe vs. another, we need to include all media (extended universe and video games not included). So, between movies and TV, where does that leave Star Wars? One Jedi, who sucks, plus an Empire that was just squashed by furry bipedal rodents with wooden spears. Awesome tech. LOL

This isn't even a contest. Star Wars sucks at everything.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream

The "Q" vs the "Force" if you want to talk about superpower.

Same thing really:

Wiki Qi

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

"The "Force" is pretty rare in the Star Wars universe as well."

No its not, most of the main characters good and bad seem to have some connection or another to the force.

I do like Q all the same.

What about form a MMORPG comparison, Star Trek or SWTOR, what's your preference?
edit on 16-5-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Since when have the Borg displayed any kind of collective mind power to do anything more than communicate? Sure, the Jedi couldn't influence their mind, but a lightsaber through a Borg would result in two halves of Borg.

To compare the two isn't difficult.

If including Q in the equation, then Star Trek wins, simple as that, assuming Q decides to be on your side that day. The Force is nothing compared to unlimited power of a God-like being. He could simply wish your fleet in a different galaxy or out of existence altogether.

Otherwise, this site breaks it down in full nerd glory: Star Wars wins.
www.stardestroyer.net...

If Q isn't in the equation, then Star Wars wins. For starters, Star Wars ships DO have shields (this is referenced several times even in the movies, but especially in the novels).

Next, Star Wars ships are MUCH faster than the Federation. SW ships can cross a galaxy in hours or days, ST ships require decades. This is a MAJOR mobility advantage.

Planetary shields. SW planetary shields mean their planets could survive weeks of bombardment, whereas Federation planets rely on orbital defenses alone.

Communication, SW's Holonet provides real time communication across the galaxy. ST's subspace communications are much more limited (22 light years). This means massive command and control advantage (not even counting instantaneous communication using the Force).

Data vs. a Jedi? Seriously? The Jedi picks him up using the Force and slams him repeatedly into a hard wall. (unless Data fires at him first, in which case Data gets the redirected beam in the chest). Or a Sith fries him with Force lightning. Either way, Data is deactivated.

Look at the Eclipse Super Star Destroyer. This one ship would take out an entire Federation planet and it's defense fleet, while suffering only scratches.

edit on 16-5-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   

MMO-wise SWTOR, only because is much more fun haha.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
its quite simple

I am a massive fan of both universes, but I have never seen this image. I almost shot tea all over my keyboard and screen! Thank you Maxatoria, for posting that, and making me laugh through a cup of tea

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream

MMO-wise SWTOR, only because is much more fun haha.

Me too, I just could not get into the Star Trek MMO, SWTOR on the other hand rocks! Its one of the only games I actually pay to play.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Haha i take it you are a Star Wars Fan!?
!!

Its good, now we need an equivalent person rooting for Star Trek side!

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy06shake

What about form a MMORPG comparison, Star Trek or SWTOR, what's your preference?

Looks like I'm going to have to bow out of this conversation. I had to look those two acronyms up. I had no idea WTF they stood for.

However, in my defense, I don't play video games.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I see a lot of Star Wars fans bringing up Jedi powers and the force.

You have Luke. Luke who sucks with the Force.

Luke, who is a Jedi, who cannot use the Force in anger.

The Force is worthless to Jedi. You have one Jedi, and it's frickin Luke.

GAME OVER.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroofExactly.

In order to discuss one universe vs. another, we need to include all media (extended universe and video games not included). So, between movies and TV, where does that leave Star Wars? One Jedi, who sucks, plus an Empire that was just squashed by furry bipedal rodents with wooden spears. Awesome tech. LOL

This isn't even a contest. Star Wars sucks at everything.

That was a sheer numbers game. The Empire was significantly outnumbered. Which is exactly why the Jedi would fail.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

I'm a fan of both actually, but facts are facts. (well, facts as stated as stats in their respective universes).

Also, on this:

It is my opinion the Borg would ultimately win this battle. I agree with this assessment of how the battle would ensue and I offer it as evidence:

Death Star vs. Borg Cube

The Death Star is not used as a lone ship, it is accompanied by a Super Star Destroyer battle group (always), because it is designed to use against PLANETS not capital ships (like a Borg cube). A Super Star Destroyer is going to wax a Borg cube (given both's shielding and destructive weapons power). The only good news is that the Borg can run away through time.

This of course, opens up a way that Star Trek can win, without Q though. Given ST's propensity to time travel, they could go back in time and eliminate opposition that way, by killing important future leaders, but who knows what paradoxes that will make?

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

This is true, the Cube and Death Star would not be fighting alone. So the question here is who's armada is going to be able to beat the other one?

The time travel factor trumps all arguments.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

I am a massive fan of both universes, but I have never seen this image. I almost shot tea all over my keyboard and screen! Thank you Maxatoria, for posting that, and making me laugh through a cup of tea

It's funny, but wrong. Star Wars ships actually have a VARIETY of shields (some for matter, some for energy, etc.), including the type that would prevent transporter function.

ST=
Type XII phaser arrays are in the low to mid terawatt range and photon torpedoes are in the double - digit megaton range.

SW=
Medium turbolasers are in the triple - digit gigaton range, and the Star Destroyer's shields are in the Teraton - Petaton range.

It's simple math. The Enterprise is atomized.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by ratcals

The time travel factor trumps all arguments.

True, but at the risk of creating a paradox where you no longer exist.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by ratcals
reply to post by boncho

I offer this to counter your argument:

In desperation Vader and the Emperor try using the force for mind control of the Borg. This works on individuals and small groups but the Borg are a collective. The fighting has gone on for hours but the Borg keep pressing on. All to soon the fight is at their doorstep. Vader and the Emperor fight like trapped rats. Vader cutting down drones like corn with his light saber and the Emperor cussing and killing Borg with his pattened lightning bolts shooting out from his fingers! It's the Emperor that falls first from sheer exhaustion. Vader keeps on fighting but soon his saber stops working on the Borg. Now armed only with fists and the force he continues on. Flinging drones through the air with the force and choking some with his hands. But even this mighty warrior falls under the waves of Borg.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join