It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World Press Photo Of The Year Was NOT Faked - Verified By Experts

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Seems like your logic is equally faulty...without the two images to compare who knows?

I find it amusing that so many want so badly to believe the palestinians...as if they are good guys.

This is not the first time palestinians have staged photos for PR purposes...they are masters at PR...that's where a great deal of the millions we send them each year goes--right back in the pockets of big PR firms.

Does anyone up here think the palestinians are interested in truth? What about freedom? Do you think you'll be free under Sharia law?

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zoyd23
Seems like your logic is equally faulty...without the two images to compare who knows?

I find it amusing that so many want so badly to believe the palestinians...as if they are good guys.

This is not the first time palestinians have staged photos for PR purposes...they are masters at PR...that's where a great deal of the millions we send them each year goes--right back in the pockets of big PR firms.

Does anyone up here think the palestinians are interested in truth? What about freedom? Do you think you'll be free under Sharia law?

What is wrong with you? No one at any point has tried to argue that the incident featuring dead children is not real. The OP states clearly that the incident is real. This issue is about 'fake lighting'.

There are multiple photographs from this burial. Muslim people try to bury their dead before sunset on the same day of death where possible. So yes, when the IDF bombs and kills children in Gaza, their parents will walk the streets with the bodies of their infants so they can perform the ritual.

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Of course it's a fake, any news about Gaza is not real, everyone should know that by now...I mean when you got the wankers across the border choking the life out of these people why should we care right?

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Looks to me he took the original RAW file and created a stunning HDR (High Dynamic Range) photo. This is a great shot.

HDR can easily be done (from one exposure even) in Photoshop, etc. Glad he was cleared and won the competition, fair and square! FWIW, all RAW files must be edited, the extent of that editing is obviously up to the photographer's discretion. The vast majority of serious photogs and amateurs who know how to work their camera shoot in RAW (NEF for Nikon) format, if they're shooting digital.

He was in the right place, at the right time, with the right camera settings.

Here's information on HDR Photography (from Wikipedia) for those who are interested.

HDR Photography

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Sorry if this was already posted but...

Was this part of the same incident that the UN determined was in fact caused by a rocket fired from within Palestine that had a dud propellant and hit a neighboring apartment complex? Several independent sources did question the UN report, but I'm curious to know if the "Picture of the Year" is related to this incident.

mondoweiss.net...

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   

I find it endlessly amusing that people assume that an entire country of people are "good" or "bad" guys. Every country has their share of good folks, bad folks, loving people, hateful people, politicians that actually care, and the plenty that don't, etc.

What a narrow-minded view of the world we have..

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   

I have to agree with the earlier post that this looks fake. If the person who took the photo was only "Photoshopping" to add enhancements to bring out colors or appearance, explain what caused the shadow I have highlighted. The small protrusion of bricks isn't big enough to cause this shadow.

Compare my photo to the photo posted by the OP. All I have done is highlight the out-of-place shadow. Why do this? It adds nothing to the meaning of the photo.

Something isn't right.

Does it really matter compared to all of the other out of control things going on in the world right now, I think not. However, it does make you ask why. My guess is it's all about fame and fortune, gained ethically or not.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by leeb768

Compare my photo to the photo posted by the OP. All I have done is highlight the out-of-place shadow. Why do this? It adds nothing to the meaning of the photo.

You do realise that you cant see what is casting the shadows? What makes you think it's out of place?

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Are some of the people posting on here mentally handicapped? I'm being serious not trying to be sarcastic..(ok maybe a little) but seriously.

Arguing semantics???

Look at the shadow.. Look at this...Hello did you miss the part where they had this evaluated by photo analytical experts BEFORE they awarded the guy the prize??

What manner of insanity are we living in when moronically obvious facts need to spelt out??

ITS LEGIT..........GET...........OVER..........IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeezeee...

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I think the discrediting was as much ignorance as anything else. Prior to taking a course on Photoshop and another on Photography/Digital Image preparation in commercial graphics? I never would have believed that EVERY photo we see is "photoshop'ed". Every single one...with almost 0 exception. Changes for tone, color, warmth, exposure and contrast (with layers within the layers of meaning to each of those categories) are not just common ...but 100% standard practice.

The ignorance comes in when people think "Photoshop'ed" means altered in any way for meaning and context ...not simply appearance and visual fidelity. They change EVERYTHING because photos rarely ever pop the way we want them to on the shutter/sensor click. They need...help...to look like they're supposed to. That doesn't mean anything, in even small ways, was changed for the meaning of what the photo shows happening.

This photo, I'l willing to bet, isn't worth much more than a passing glance and comment about the ghoulish nature of photojournalism ....until they spent hours in Photoshop to get the environment and ambiance feeling 'just so'...and then it becomes a world award winner. Nothing of substance has changed...just everything about how it feels to look at.

I wouldnt say 100% edit their photos. I agree with you that most do edit their photos and is common practice. Most are simply correcting brightness, contrast, and white balance and doing that doesnt make a photo fake, but I know a few that take pride in their photos and refuse to use any editing software..

Im not a pro, photography is just a hobby and I have PhotoShop CS5 and CS6 but I dont use it on any of my photos, I only use it to make funny shopped pics of friends. All my photo editing it done with the camera before I take the picture by changing settings, Here is some of my photos and i didnt do any editing on them

edit on 2013/5/17 by ussoldier because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by old_god

Of course it's a fake, any news about Gaza is not real, everyone should know that by now...I mean when you got the wankers across the border choking the life out of these people why should we care right?

Sarcasm noted

Israeli groups also recently demanded that two Palestinians be removed from a tribute for fallen journalists who were killed in the line of duty.
edit on 5/17/2013 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   

The world is burning...at least it's keeping us warm

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

Just looking at the angle of the shadows, it doesn't look right. The large overhang of brick is casting a normal shadow. The shadow I highlighted would have to be caused by a lower angle of sunlight. That is impossible from what I can tell based on how close the buildings are together. It's just my opinion.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by leeb768

Yes, something is not right about that shadow. Also, it appears that the men in the foreground are carrying dead children. Questions abound!

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Amanda5

Thank you for your comment. I was waiting to hear someone bring up the subject of the photo. I don't so much care if it was retouched or not. It's the fact that it's the photo of the year. Nothing against the photographer, but I just wish that a picture of the year would be something that inspires some kind of hope. This really says something about the direction of the world, I think. Because it's from where it's from, the shock value is lost on people. However, if this photo was taken here at home, I doubt the outrage would have anything to do with photoshop.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by amkia

Just to be clear, It sickens me when childeren and innocents are caugfht up in War. But to use the term murderous israeli...... You must then have to call out the murderous arabs as well. Many israeli children have been killed also.....

Just sayin

Be fair in your judgment is all I request.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join