It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We have just lost control of our food supply . . .

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on May, 13 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
First we had the Monsanto Protection Act, which basically gives Monsanto free reign over creating genetically modified seeds.

If that wasn't enough, we now have a fresh hot-off-the-press, but barely publicized Supreme Court ruling that if a farmer grows using Monsanto seed, he cannot save some of the crop he grew to sew the next season because . . . get this . . . Monsanto owns the patent to those seeds.

Source

The legal fight is about whether farmers like Bowman can plant Monsanto's patented seeds. Although seeds might be the oldest "technology" around, Monsanto argues that no one has the right to make "copies" of those seeds - which essentially means farmers cannot plant the seeds that they save from Monsanto plants.

That pretty much closes the loop on the food chain . . . if they control the seed, they control it all. Welcome to the next step in bow to the masters.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by GoalPoster

Well, I'm hoping farmers just decide Monsanto is just too much a pain in the you-know-what to just stop using them all together. I know it's probably way too much to hope for.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Monsanto must have some VERY powerful friends.. I think theyve won every case ever brought against them in the US

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
The reality of it is, now all companies that 'patent' seed can extend the ruling to themselves and a multinational the size of Monsanto can start buying them up.

WaLa . . . the circle of ownership becomes a monopoly.

Extend that ruling to the pork industry and farmers can no longer reproduce their herds . . . beef . . . well there you have it . . . poultry industry . . . lay an egg, turn it over to Monsanto and the only way to buy your next year's chickens is to pay Monsanto for the priviledge. The 'patent' of the start of life now belongs to the owner of the genetic pool from which it came.

I cannot implore upon you folks enough the fact that this ruling is devestating not only for those in the ag industry, but eventually consumers because we've got to buy the product to survive.

Wait for the Monsanto Police Squads to drop by your place to rip up your gardens because they own the rights to the seeds and can, through genetic markers and investigation, prove it is theirs.

If you control the seed, you control it all.

Mark my words, within a relatively short frame of time, Monsanto will control everything.
edit on 13-5-2013 by GoalPoster because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
or you could just not grow gmo crops all together like many people do.. its not like they force you to grow them.. YET! but still why even use this crap it sounds like there are no posatives to it.

We need to get to small community gardens and people doing their own gardens and not growing huge crops of things where if something happens everyone gets screwed. the draw for GMO is that it supposedly grows so well and insect resistant so that you shouldn't lose a crop no matter what meaning you wont get screwed if you own the farm or starve if you count on the food.

We need to get rid of these huge farms that supply these canned food companies and things that is the problem here. All they care about is yield and making sure they can supply the amount of food being ordered by the companies who pay their bills. They don't care about the product they produce, as long as they will buy it then its good enough.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by GoalPoster

This is pretty sad and a bit disconcerting. This and the Monsanto Protections Act has to be undone ASAP. I guess those Judges care more about the payoff money then their own families, children, grand-children and so on and so forth. Buttocks orifices!

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by dc4lifeskater

Yes, grow our own gardens. I would love to start some salad gardens inside my house, and nurture them with grow lights. Yikes, with my luck the Monsanto police would probably break down my door, claim all my plants were from their seeds, impose fines, and imprisonment, and Then I will get on the FBI most wanted list just for liking fresh salads.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   

I totally agree. We need to go back to being more self sufficient. And having neighborhoods helping one another, community gardens and what not.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by dc4lifeskater
or you could just not grow gmo crops all together like many people do.. its not like they force you to grow them.. YET! but still why even use this crap it sounds like there are no posatives to it.

We need to get to small community gardens and people doing their own gardens and not growing huge crops of things where if something happens everyone gets screwed. the draw for GMO is that it supposedly grows so well and insect resistant so that you shouldn't lose a crop no matter what meaning you wont get screwed if you own the farm or starve if you count on the food.

We need to get rid of these huge farms that supply these canned food companies and things that is the problem here. All they care about is yield and making sure they can supply the amount of food being ordered by the companies who pay their bills. They don't care about the product they produce, as long as they will buy it then its good enough.

It isn't as easy as deciding to not grow GMO crops. A lot of farmers do choose to grom conventional non GMO crops, but if there is a farm next to theirs that does grom GMOs the chance of cross polination is pretty high, and even though cross polination happens naturally and there isn't much that can be done to stop it, once one of the Monsanto owned crops ends up growing on the non GMO farmer's land, Monsanto own's the right to that crop, and through fear, threats and intimidation they take over that farm. Most farmer's are barely making ends meet, so the thought of spending thousands upon thousands of dollars on legal defense, going up against the mega corporation Monsanto isn't an option, and so the farmer has no choice but to give in.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Self sufficiency is great, but what if. . . and I'm just saying what if . . . the seeds you have somehow don't germinate or won't germinate, or fall victim to some sort of virus or bug or whatever and nothing will grow or produce yields of any significance because of said bug, yet the GMO seeds, plants, livestock or anyting else in the food supply chain are somehow able to grow because they're designed to thrive in whatever environment created by whoever has the best release agent of the virus, bug or whatever . . . and you become reliant on whoever can provide you with the start of that process of being self sufficient . . . the seed

See . . . that's what we're talkin' about here Willis!!!!

GMO isn't about making it bigger and better, rather it's about making sure the food supply is tightly controlled.

Think about it . . . this whole court case is based around a particular breed of soybean that is immune to the effects of the Monsanto product Roundup.

Ever spray roundup on something? How easy would be a mass dispersal of something akin to roundup that kills off everything exept what you want to survive . . .

Ain't no Monsanto police required . . . just a fleet of dispersal agents such as helicopters, planes . . . a prevailing wind and you've found a way to control the masses!

There you have it.

Say thanks to the Supreme Courts folks . . . game . . . set and MATCH

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Unfortunately it's not as simple for the farmers as "Just don't grow it."

Farmers have lost their farms to Monsanto for patent infringement because they've planted seed that has been cross-pollinated by Monsanto crops. They're starting to win in Canada but it's still being fought in the US. And what do they do as soon as the farmer's start winning? Pay someone off the get The Monsanto Protection Act passed here.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
i've posted this in many threads about monsanto.
and will continue to do so. to date these are the best i seen on monsanto.

Rinehart was incredulous, listening to the words as puzzled customers and employees looked on. Like many others in rural America, Rinehart knew of Monsanto’s fierce reputation for enforcing its patents and suing anyone who allegedly violated them. But Rinehart wasn’t a farmer. He wasn’t a seed dealer. He hadn’t planted any seeds or sold any seeds. He owned a small—a really small—country store in a town of 350 people. He was angry that somebody could just barge into the store and embarrass him in front of everyone. “It made me and my business look bad,” he says. Rinehart says he told the intruder, “You got the wrong guy.”

When the stranger persisted, Rinehart showed him the door. On the way out the man kept making threats. Rinehart says he can’t remember the exact words, but they were to the effect of: “Monsanto is big. You can’t win. We will get you. You will pay.”

it's a long read, but it will open your eys. Monsanto’s Harvest of Fear

also there is a a frontline documentary of the same name.
it is on you tube in 12 parts, and it shows both sides. real good documentary.

if you don't want to watch 12 youtube vids here is a transcript. it's a long read too.

Frontline Transcript Harvest of Fear.

here is the 12 youtube videos.

Frontline Harvest Of Fear all 12

edit on 13-5-2013 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

I am under the impression that GMO seeds (hyprid seeds) don't reproduce. You couldn't "save seeds" from one year and expect them to produce plants the next year, anyhow?

I hope everyone really understands how monsanto, big pharma, and this gov't, along with the UN, is making us all slaves beholden to them for everything. Don't forget very expensive fuel oil.

Just pull the plug and we've got depopulation of the earth.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by XLR8R

I totally agree. We need to go back to being more self sufficient. And having neighborhoods helping one another, community gardens and what not.

Be careful with your veggie patch, look here:
www.realseeds.co.uk...

On Monday May 6th a draconian new law was put before the European Commission, which creates new powers to classify and regulate all plant life anywhere in Europe.

The "Plant Reproductive Material Law" regulates all plants. It contains immediate restrictions on vegetables and woodland trees. (It also creates powers that can be used to restrict any other plants in the future, but the details of how this will work are left for later.)

Under the new law, it will immediately be illegal to grow, reproduce or trade any vegetable seed or tree that has not been tested and approved by a new "EU Plant Variety Agency", who will make a list of approved plants. Moreover, an annual fee must also be paid to the Agency to keep them on the list, and if not paid, they cannot be grown.

Theyll soon have us all by the proverbial short 'n' curlies.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

Take out the word 'soon' and your bang on!

Everyone's focussed on the IRS issues and the Benghazi issues and the Syrian issues and the Middle East Issues . . . meanwhile the unseen war going on within these borders is all but over.

Those most effected are going to wake up from their afternoon nap and realize the bag of tater chips they like to gnaw on during Battle of the Fat-assed Network Wankers now costs $5.99 instead of $2.29 and they're going to wonder what the hell happened.

I mean, we're talking about our food supply here and people are more interested in the fact that if you look at a picture of Stonehenge taken from the International Space Station, it looks like either Queen Elizabeth's genitals or Barak Obama's nose . . . and for some reason that's more important than sustanance.

[shakes head . . . walks away in disgust . . .]

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
This was first brought to my attention by the 2008 documentary "Food Inc."

Monsanto creates a dependency from their customers, because the farmers must pay royalties on the seeds and crops that sprout from the originally purchased seed.

Non-Monsanto farmers are being fined for natural wind, insect, and animal cross pollination. Imagine the poor farmer that gets a hefty penalty for never even planting a Monsanto seed. The wind or a honey-bee simply drops off a little Monsanto pollen and BOOM! Illegal use of a Monsanto product

We must not become desensitized.
We must not become apathetic.

Every single human needs to be fully educated about this,... and then we can all sit down and end this bull crap.

GMO foods aren't even nutritionally viable when compared to heirloom crops.

Peace.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I think it is clear that normal processes will not get rid of this type of scum, which chooses to shift the DNA of everything on this planet into a negative polarity.

It was already bad enough, the last round... but this looks like endgame is in motion.

A wholesale cleaning of the source of all this is in order, they have gone too far.

Greed itself is not what is going on here, but yes it is a tool.

Greed was even developed through these kinds of practices, it is time to go way, way back and find the start of this lost game.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

Yeah, sadly that is part of, if I'm not mistaken, Agenda 21. I don't care what the government does in this regard. I already have nothing
What are they going to do, chop up my iceberg lettuce and my radishes? Sounds delicious to me. I'll just keep on making gardens and they can keep burning it down. And around and around we will go until they find it's futile to try and stop me or they put me in jail. The first thing I will do when I come out is make my garden, bigger and with more variety.

They want to make everything mandatory to BUY. With out money we will starve. Our families will starve. They're already working on the water supply so with out money we will die from thirst as well. People were wondering how depopulation would start...it already has with Monsanto. Be it on purpose or not.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by OptimusSubprime

There have been mutterings of fields being maliciously sabotaged by Monsanto employees throwing GMO seeds into non GMO crops to validate fining the farmer as punishment for not purchasing their frankencrop seed in the first place.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by StarsInDust

Unfortunately for the rose-colored glasses through which we'd all love to view the American farmer, they're just people who want to feed their family. For the work they do, and the hardships they suffer, their sense of entitlement to economic resources is beating out their sense of stewardship over our land.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join