It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rescue: Woman Found Alive 17 Days After Factory Collapse

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I looked and couldn't find it here but it should be. Maybe under a different heading? If it's here someplace...Mods...Do your thang!

When first reported the death toll was at 87. Now it's over 1,000. Damn!

www.bbc.co.uk...
A woman has been pulled alive from the ruins of an eight-storey building that collapsed in a suburb of Bangladesh's capital, Dhaka, 17 days ago. Rescuers said the woman, named Reshma, was found in the remains of the second floor of the Rana Plaza after they heard her crying: "Please save me." She has been taken to hospital, but is not thought to have serious injuries. More than 1,000 are now confirmed to have died, most of them women working in clothes factories.

And here's something amazing. 17 days later, a survivor has been found.

I couldn't imagine a horror like this. Buried alive. We have all seen movies dealing with this subject matter but this isn't Hollywood for this poor woman.

It happened in Korea years ago when a Mall collapsed as well. I believe her ordeal was 21 days.

I'm sure that her family feel that they have witnessed a miracle.

Peace

edit on 12-5-2013 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Peace

I saw this story on the news recently...and the first thing I thought was...miracle! I just wish that no one had perished.

From what I have heard; whoever owns that building is going to be brought up on charges.

By the way...your first link did not work for me. Anyone else have this problem?

Here is a link I found: www.bbc.co.uk...

Edit: You fixed your link...wonderful!

edit on 12-5-2013 by caladonea because: edit

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

Peace

I saw this story on the news recently...and the first thing I thought was...miracle! I just wish that no one had perished.

From what I have heard; whoever owns that building is going to be brought up on charges.

By the way...your first link did not work for me. Anyone else have this problem?

Fixed the link. My bad.

And yes they will be brought up on charges but my issue is with the companies that contract this work. Western of course:

www.bbc.co.uk...
Rana Plaza had housed several factories that made clothes for companies including Western retailers. A preliminary government report suggested the collapse was been triggered when electricity generators switched on during a blackout. At least nine people have been arrested over the accident, including the owner of the building and several factory bosses.

Peace

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   

And yes they will be brought up on charges but my issue is with the companies that contract this work. Western of

Yes..I have issues with (outsourcing) too. If companies would stop (at least some) outsourcing...and keep some of the jobs in America...I think the economy would certainly improve.

However...too...I am somewhat conflicted...because I know people in the other countries are glad to have those jobs.

Also the companies that are in charge of the jobs they offer in other countries should be held accountable for the horrible architecture and working conditions that their employees are subjected to.

So...what can be done?

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

And yes they will be brought up on charges but my issue is with the companies that contract this work. Western of

Yes..I have issues with (outsourcing) too. If companies would stop (at least some) outsourcing...and keep some of the jobs in America...I think the economy would certainly improve.

However...too...I am somewhat conflicted...because I know people in the other countries are glad to have those jobs.

Also the companies that are in charge of the jobs they offer in other countries should be held accountable for the horrible architecture and working conditions that their employees are subjected to.

So...what can be done?

I don't see it as outsourcing but rather taking advantage of a slave labor market. Sad to say the least.

What can be done? No idea.

For a result there needs to be a large collective of protestors, boycotts etc. It will never happen because people just won't give up their cheap goods to do so.

Peace

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I think the problem is Bangladesh, not so much the outside companies that use what passes for "code" and "acceptable business" in that nation. It's just my opinion....but this isn't a country that would survive that industry being dramatically reduced. I think it's insane how they've literally built their nation on it....for the situation it puts them in...but?

The textile industry is an important one for the country, accounting for 17% of its gross domestic product (GDP) and more than three-quarters of total exports - most of which head to Europe and the US.

The amount of exports has increased dramatically over the past 30 years. In 1985 they were worth less than $1bn, but by 2012 the figure was nearly $20bn. That is mainly thanks to the country's cheap labour. Bangladeshi textile employees are among the lowest-paid of their kind in the world.
Source

The info graphic there shows 77% of exports are textiles...and it's a poverty racked nation as it is. I don't know what the answer is, but it's not like China where yanking Apple factories or Nike business wouldn't hurt the nation overall. Pulling US/EU business would likely blow their unemployment and misery index clear off the charts. Even with the horrible conditions the Government there seems to welcome as a normal course of things.

edit on 12-5-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: Sorry.. My wireless keyboard is dying on me.. grrrr Ctrl combos go first it seems

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
What needs to be done is for those corporations using the factories in Bangladesh to, instead of depending on local engineers, make certain themselves that the buildings are up to safe standards.

The last thing those people need is to lose their jobs even if it does only average a dollar a day. It's disgustingly low and the reason why clothing made in North America is almost nonexistent, but if we want cheap t-shirts (and most do), then that's where they will be made.

I'd be willing to pay an extra few cents to make sure the workers were safe. Wouldn't you?

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I think the problem is Bangladesh, not so much the outside companies that use what passes for "code" and "acceptable business" in that nation. It's just my opinion....but this isn't a country that would survive that industry being dramatically reduced. I think it's insane how they've literally built their nation on it....for the situation it puts them in...but?

The textile industry is an important one for the country, accounting for 17% of its gross domestic product (GDP) and more than three-quarters of total exports - most of which head to Europe and the US.

The amount of exports has increased dramatically over the past 30 years. In 1985 they were worth less than $1bn, but by 2012 the figure was nearly $20bn. That is mainly thanks to the country's cheap labour. Bangladeshi textile employees are among the lowest-paid of their kind in the world.
Source

The info graphic there shows 77% of exports are textiles...and it's a poverty racked nation as it is. I don't know what the answer is, but it's not like China where yanking Apple factories or Nike business wouldn't hurt the nation overall. Pulling US/EU business would likely blow their unemployment and misery index clear off the charts. Even with the horrible conditions the Government there seems to welcome as a normal course of things.

edit on 12-5-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: Sorry.. My wireless keyboard is dying on me.. grrrr Ctrl combos go first it seems

And I believe it's the Western companies exploiting the situation to their advantage.

If they didn't, then Bangladesh would have to explore different avenues of income or face an ever increasing angry and poor Nation of dissent.

Western Companies with no moral compass using slave labor to sell their wares to the consumers of no moral compass is the real issue here IMO.

Peace

edit on 12-5-2013 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Agreed... It takes two to play the game. Which is more realistic when almost 1/5th of an entire nation is based and built around the industry that is doing this to it's own citizens? Getting countless companies around the world to change ...and then..the countless lower rung companies who take up there, if the big ones leave?

....or looking at the local Government who willingly and apparently, happily sells out it's own citizens for their little bag of silver? It just seems to me, it's a bit hard to exploit those who make the national economy and national interests about ...being exploited. Where as, other nations see Western companies skirting every law imaginable at times to keep from being busted too hard when a local Government finds things went too far to explain or tolerate?

I wonder what challenges, if any, would actually exist for a foreign company to attempt to refuse local construction standards and companies who use them, to build something close to Western standards? ..or would they be allowed to try? I dunno...but it looks like a very complex mess in that particular nation.

* Err... I forgot your S/F! Real good news on the survivor and incredible for the will to live. That is a great find to share!
edit on 12-5-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join