It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Captain Kirk vs Picard and the winner is?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage
does anyone feel the next generation was like watching social workers in space.

YES. The edgy adventure feeling of the original series is gone. And having everyone on the bridge sit in their big lazy-boy type chairs and co-run the ship is just too much hand holding and co-running of the ship. Seems more like a commune than a star ship IMHO ...
edit on 5/19/2013 by FlyersFan because: spelling

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I think the thing that turned me off the TNG was a scene from the generations movies. The next generation starship has to evacuate everyone to the saucer which separates. The woman called Diana who plays the social worker on the ship was the main pilot of the saucer bringing it down for a crash landing....no one in their right mind would give a social worker the controls of a starship in that scenario.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

I like the enterprise series that predates the time period when the original startrek takes place. What did you think of that series?

The problem is that it threw things out of whack. Part of Kirk's trek was that he was the first to encounter all of these things. This new series rewrote history, as Archer is now doing the same. Plus, it looked more high tech than the original, later based show. (of course, this was unavoidable, but one of the big reasons it shouldn't have been done). Some of the tech challenges were enjoyable though, like limited speed, firepower, etc. But, the main nail in the coffin for me is that the lead simply couldn't carry the show. He's too apologetic for that era of Trek. He comes off as whiny. Kirk, on the other hand, is a jock, and Picard is like the big scary dad. Both of those work as captains...but not whiny Archer.

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by ottobot

Picard, though, is a far more interesting Captain than Kirk. I think he wins in both character and personality and is a better commander overall.

Picard rules!!

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Team Picard!!

When i see Pi-card, i see a wise strategist...

When i see kirk, i see a horny teenager...

Oh and i'm a Canadian. So hate on kirk is justified
!

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   
In a teenager cowboy fantasy? Kirk...
In the real world? Picard...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join