It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

15 Foods that can be regrown from scraps

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on May, 11 2013 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Hello, everyone. I stumbled upon a great list about growing 15 different vegetables from scraps. Since it's gardening season and I'm very cheap I thought this would be great to share. Hey, we could use it for survival as well. There are many useful ways this article can help us out.

I love gardening. Well, not actually the work behind the gardening so much – it’s the harvesting that I really look forward to. There is nothing like fresh veggies from your own personal garden! I actually just planted a bunch of things in my vegetable garden, and may have gone a little plant happy at the feed & seed store. Oops. Obviously, we all know about the normal ways to grow plants – from seeds. But, did you know that there are a ton of plants that you can grow from scraps? Plants, that will in turn, produce more food.

Here are a few entries from the article.

Lemongrass

You can regrow lemongrass the same way you regrow the green onions. Simply place the root ends in a glass of water, refreshing the water as needed. You will want to wait to harvest your lemongrass until it is about 12 inches tall.

Ginger

Plant a small chunk off of your piece of ginger in potting soil with the newest buds facing up. Ginger enjoys non-direct sunlight in a warm moist environment. Before long, it will begin to regrow shoots and roots. Once the plant is established and you’re ready to harvest, pull up the whole plant, including the roots. Remove a piece of the ginger, and re-plant it to repeat the growing process.

Since I'm not a gardener I have no clue if this list has good advice. But it sounds good enough to share with other members. Hopefully all of ya will enjoy this list.
Source

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix267

I've got 3 pineapple tops that have fully rooted. I need to transplant them one of these days because they're not really growing, they're just rooting still. If I weren't so lazy I'd post pics because it looks pretty awesome - you would not think that they would root like that. Basically, you just twist the tops of them off and put the bottom, of the tops, in water, and they will begin to root within a week or two.

This is what it looks like:

except the vases I have mine in are almost full of roots.
edit on 5/11/2013 by Bleeeeep because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Thank you for sharing this information. I have been planning on trying my hand at growing some vegetables at home. The site you found is very informative and I am going to get my act together soon and try to grow some of the vegetables and spices featured in the article.

Please share your experience should you try your hand at -re-growing some of the food mentioned. I have been told that anything in a compost heap that grows can be transplanted into a vegetable garden and grown to maturity.

Much Peace...

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 01:57 AM
link   
That is a great list. I buy garlic bulbs and take the smallest pieces and regrow them like green onions, it has the flavor of both onion and garlic. It grows pretty long, I will cut it a few inches and keep the bulb there, it will contiinue to grow.

Peace, NRE.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Thanks for the help,I really appreciate it.This kind of information is good to know.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Bleeeeep

GOOD LUCK!

They're absolutely teases they are. I had a pineapple top grow to a damn nice size, I was thinking "How awesome am I!! Look what I grew!" and then after about 2 years, I was plucking the dead stalks out of the dirt.

I was wrapped it was growing. But obviously my green thumb only means I have a gangrenous appendage on my hand.. so unfair.

And as for those avacado nuts.. I sure can turn them into corks. Oo

About the only thing I've managed to keep growing from any attempt at keeping something alive, is a catcus.

Even that's wonky and gnarly, and looks like it's been shot at.. lol

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Excellent post
To think I've been throwing away salad stuff all these years when I could have regrown it

What a muppet I am

Thanks

Cody

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I like the celery idea a lot...I will have to try it...I'm always needing just a bit of it for a salad...and never seem to use the whole bunch before it starts to yellow......

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Hmm what am i missing here? I see 2 and read 3. Any link for the 15 foods that can be regrown?

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
We did this with several scraps and so far the best one has been celery. I liked the green onions as well but we found that after one round they would grow thinner and not as tasty so only best to use them the one time, stick em in water uintil they grow and then toss em. We made sure the water was cleaned every 2 days and we even tried to put the cut bulbs in soil with nutrients and still found after a few rounds they werent as tasty or healthy looking

Ginger, though, I advise does not "grow before long"

The best time to harvest ginger is any time after the leaves have died down. Usually it takes eight to ten months to get to that point.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   

It's a good list, I just wish you have posted the list of foods, so we didn't have to click on a link to find out which 15 foods you were talking about ...

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by St0mP121

Yes, it's highlighted as "Source" in the OP. I just included two entries from list and decided to link the rest in the source.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Great thread I have started celery and fennel from the spent bulbs and they are going to be planted into the ground when it warms up. I have a 12ft lemon tree
7 ft avocado and a small ugly fruit all from seed I haven't a clue if they will ever produce but its extremely fun trying.

Fennel after a week in the water.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
This is a great thread. I'm gonna try the pineapple.
Oh, you just replant and water the bottom, root part, of leeks and they will grow.
edit on 12-5-2013 by Tor4Hershman because: me can't spill real good like

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Bought some mandarin oranges and found a seed in one spit it out into a planter and couple years later I got a 2 foot thorny tree that smells like citrus orange. I just transplanted it this year hope it takes off. Usually a citrus tree like this will take several years to mature till it starts blossoms. Trimming will also stun a tree. Like topping a apple tree you won't get produce until like the 3rd year after. A lot of garden veg will sprout and clone. There is lots of tricks like tree splicing. Have like one apple tree growing different types of apples.

posted on May, 12 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I realized this firsthand about onions. The tops will sprout if you let them sit too long and I used to always throw them away (can't ever seem to use a whole bag of them). Last time I let it keep going and had lovely green onions to use for a salad. I'll keep the root end in mind though. Love this idea and great tip. S&F.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 06:08 AM
link   
I have recently tried this with a cabbage head root, it was getting roots in the fridge after most of it was cut off, so I decided hey why not plant it. Its been growing about 3 weeks now.
At first it seemed like it was going to produce 3 new heads of cabbage, but since then it has started to flower. So I think this plant is like a carrot plant where it needs 2 seasons to get seeds.
Regardless, I am going to try and harvest the seeds from this cabbage plant

2 years ago I kept a carrot growing in the garden and last year I harvested the seeds from it to plant this year. I tested the seeds and they are growing.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by starlitestarbrite
Great thread I have started celery and fennel from the spent bulbs and they are going to be planted into the ground when it warms up. I have a 12ft lemon tree
7 ft avocado and a small ugly fruit all from seed I haven't a clue if they will ever produce but its extremely fun trying.

Fennel after a week in the water.

I've only ever eaten the bulb (the part you show). Do you eat the stalks? I'm really curious what you did with the rest of the fennel!

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 05:18 AM
link   
would sure use it for salad

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I have pots of potatoes and garlic going right now . I tried lettuce and scallion with poor results .
I will have to try lemongrass asap . I'd love to always have it on hand . It makes and awesome iced drink during the summer .
Thank you

top topics

<<   2 >>

join