It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I'm No Longer A Conspiracy Theorist

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   

We achieve this by having a diverse membership, from all walks of life and backgrounds - who come together to offer multiple points of view so that a reader can make up their own minds about which side presents the more compelling argument.

Actually i noticed many posters on ATS often ignore foreign posters(foreign to US) that threaten their world view altogether.
I notice many many non aussies here wont engage me in debate.
Maybe they think my views are of no consequence to them however i dont see how this makes ats open minded. Its very US centric. I suggest more US posters take an interest in other parts of the globe not just their own nation that would be open minded for a start.
For example an interest in asia/pacific would be good and not just every time Kim Jong Un makes a noise or threat in the news.
edit on 10-5-2013 by Theprimordialocker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Theprimordialocker

Maybe they think my views are of no consequence to them however i dont see how this makes ats open minded. Its very US centric. I suggest more US posters take an interest in other parts of the globe not just their own nation that would be open minded for a start.

I would love to take an interest in other parts of the world but the US news media seldom covers anything other than US news. And even when they do cover international news, it's usually slanted, distorted with an agenda.

What news site do you recommend to get a broader perspective?

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
To some extent I agree with the OP. There is an awful lot wrong with the world but I'm not convinced that an overarching conspiracy is the reason for that. I am more inclined to look at corporations as money making bots. Much of what is wrong with the world is due to the evolution of corporations and their strategies to keep growing and making money.

I don't think the oligarchs are that cohesive as a group and I don't think they are very energetic as a group. Most of the James Bond arch fiends make the oligarchs look like residents of an old folks home.

There are conspiracies and skulduggery but these are tied closely to ordinary human greed and the bot-like modalities of deaf, dumb and blind corporations.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Well both Fairfax and News ltd are very different media companies which cover Australia.You could start there! However you can find anything from anywhere on Youtube and often more alternative channels,reports.
So much kudos for the developers of that and google for maintaining it! As for the rest its upto your curiosity and imagination to research news from downunder.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
There have been plenty of conspiracies that are well recorded in the annals of history, and probably a great deal more successful ones such that nobody has ever discovered them. This is what Balzac was really getting at in his famous quote - the ones that pay off big are the ones kept hidden.

I would agree that becoming fixated in that mode of thinking is extremely unhealthy, which may be what you are ultimately getting at, since it shows a deficit in critical thinking on the opposite end of the spectrum - some people may believe everything that they are told, which is bad, but also believing that everything everyone tells you is a bald-faced lie is also bad.

It's interesting that you bring up the topic of fascism, here is some food for thought. In the absence of hard evidence one can make predictions based on following trends. We humans do not like abrupt change, if that means anything to you.

This will probably not move or persuade you in any way, as others have already stated most of us already do our own research to a certain degree but our general "gut feeling" is drawn from our own life experiences and the things we see every day. There are far too many factors that come into play with this (e.g. culture, education level, economic background, &etc.) that how one sees the world is going to be just as diverse as those it is comprised of.

The difference, I think, is how well we communicate with and treat one another. It's when we stop listening that we run into problems.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I have always maintained that anyone who believes the majority of conspiracy theories, or looks for and sees a conspiracy in everything, are definitely not objectionable enough to reach correct conclusions. Conspiracies do occur, as has been proven throughout history, but they are relatively rare. I do not buy that there is some group called the New World Order or the Illuminati, but there is a conspiracy when it comes to small groups of individuals, usually motivated by profit or fanatacism, influencing in various ways the way the government is run. This mainly means "influencing" politicians, if they are not politicians themselves, and greasing the correct wheels to get things done. And the vast majority of these people are motivated by something directly against helping people.

And there are various other conspiracies in the government, such as the process for FDA approval and pharmaceutical companies, etc. The problem is that not only do they exist, but there is nothing that the people can do to stop the tyranny, short of half the population marching on DC, or an all out conflict. The former probably will not work, considering the government does not care what the people think. The people do not control the government anymore, but the other way around.

So all in all I think that the term conspiracy theorist is a negative one, because no one should be seeing conspiracies everywhere, because that would not be accurate. So I don't term myself that either. I would rather call myself a rationalist, or simply an 'observer.'

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Theprimordialocker

We achieve this by having a diverse membership, from all walks of life and backgrounds - who come together to offer multiple points of view so that a reader can make up their own minds about which side presents the more compelling argument.

Actually i noticed many posters on ATS often ignore foreign posters(foreign to US) that threaten their world view altogether.
I notice many many non aussies here wont engage me in debate.
For example an interest in asia/pacific would be good and not just every time Kim Jong Un makes a noise or threat in the news.
edit on 10-5-2013 by Theprimordialocker because: (no reason given)

I'll agree with you entirely and I never have really understood that, either. One of the largest draws for ATS when I first got here and realized I found a community vs. just another website, was the International aspect of it. Plenty of sites around the net claim that but few actually live up to it in reality. Hearing from and learning from people in other nations and cultures is what often times makes lurking as fun as posting.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift
Just because people get together and organize to accomplish something doesn't automatically make it a conspiracy. It's just cooperation and communication.

It's called conspiracy because it's a kept secret between collaborators that's used to cause deception in an illegal or non-socially accepted way.

Society accepts cooperation and communication, not conspiracies. It's not a dirty word for nothing.

Originally posted by Blue Shift
The reason people give it the negative label of "conspiracy" and think that it's evil is that is doesn't go along with what they personally want or believe. Again, the kind of feeling pathetic losers and failures get. Blame others. Why not?

When the majority gets up screwed to enhance an elite few, it is indeed evil.
Even if I wouldn't get screwed in the process, I still would find it sad for the "pathetic losers" that are screwed and now "blaming others". You write like you have zeeeero empathy.

We all decide what game we play in life, where you see a winner I might see a loser.
edit on 11-5-2013 by theMediator because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I'm mostly a conspiracy agnostic.

I rarely am 100% convinced that conspiracies are true unless I see the clear effect of those conspiracies that make it undeniable. Example 911, I don't know the full truth but I know there's been an undeniable conspiracy.

However, I never totally dismiss a conspiracy out of fear of it being true...a reaction I often see out of the "skeptic theorists" roaming ATS...yes theorists because no one has all the evidences.

Chemtrails is a common conspiracy that people dismiss entirely, because seriously, if it really is true, it's damn scary and every single one would be a victim without any control over it...

Maybe it's easier to dismiss and deny certain conspiracies that would affect us directly because it's much more tangible. Denying problems that are right in our faces is quite common in human beings.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by lampsalot

I have never looked at any websites with the word conspiracy in the title as conspiracy sites. I have never looked at any website with the connotation that it was a conspiracy site.

I am aware of the word conspiracy but when I am on the world wide web I am looking for information and disinformation. I utilise my intellect and cognitive functions to ask my own questions and to synthesize all the information I am perusing.

The word conspiracy is a word - like every other word - just because a particular piece of information has that word attached does not mean I have to consider it relative to a conspiracy.

Let's say I see an aerial phenomena that I don't understand - why should I simply negate what I have seen just because there are loads of websites that tell me unexplained aerial phenomena are all just about conspiracies??? I would rather make up my own mind. When I think that something is a conspiracy that is up to me to form that opinion - it is not for someone else to tell me what to think.

I think it is sad that many people still - in 2013 - never ask questions about why the world is in the state it is in - they never question anything. (Picture me shaking my head.) Just wanted to join the thread and have my say - thank you for reading.

Much Peace...

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Its easy to reject what you don't know. The problem is, when you do know, what you know is that you keep your mouth shut and not disclose in any form.

Conspiracy's in all there forms are about CONTROL and one thing we all need to realize is that control by its universal nature is AN UNSUSTAINABLE ACTION, especially in regards to human behaviour.

Primal human behaviour is intolerant of control which is the cause for why a new world order is as likely as a global law to ensure there is only one flavour of ice cream available world wide.

Solution, well that's why you are here, to find out for yourself through direct experience that life is a glorious contradiction. The problem is you have been manipulated to believe that control is the answer. You must be in control which is why you are compelled to reject conspiracy which is an action of control.

Psy op 101.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 01:51 AM
link   

What your post tells me is that you got frustrated with your immature take and digestion of these questions that you stopped halfway at fully answering, and now you are throwing your hands in the air and throwing in the towel.

To each his own.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 02:28 AM
link   
There is one fact that I have always considered to be the one fact that dispels the NWO theory; The creation of a successfull and sustainable NWO would require politicians to be competent.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotel1
There is one fact that I have always considered to be the one fact that dispels the NWO theory; The creation of a successfull and sustainable NWO would require politicians to be competent.

Not just NWo not just politicians. But all human activity involves people who are incompetent. That is why any conspiracy can only ever be the work of small number of individuals (hence 911, Boston bombings etc cannot be a conspiracy due to the number of people it would require to organise and implement. It can be exactly as stated since the number of people involved, handful of terrorists, fits with small number required.). As soon as the numbers can no longer be counted with your fingers somebody somewhere will screw up. After following "conspiracies" for over 40 years and books and books of the unexplained I have come to the same conclusion as the OP. The vast majority of conspiracies are the figment of fertile paranoid imaginations.

There are conspiracies, that as said before, involve small groups and those conspiracies do tend to come to light. There is ALWAYS evidence. Another problem a lot of classic long term conspiracies have. No firm evidence, just regurgitation of belief and re-quoting of same belief on a.n.other conspiracy site.

What this site should be about is the presentation of some unusual or hidden evidence that conflicts with the norm. From there we could dig deeper, discuss and investigate and then uncover a genuine conspiracy/cover-up. Sadly that does not happen.

Oh, before i go. The "vaccine conspiracy". Again apply the numbers logic. In order for vaccines to be this dangerous pathogen killing children it would require a cover-up involving vast hordes of medical personnel. Hence there is no conspiracy. Likewise every study done in all countries by doctors and researchers would have to cooperate across borders to maintain the conspiracy.......sheeesh come on!!! There have been problems with the production of some vaccines this has been acknowledged and the production methods changed that is part and parcel of reality. Nothing is perfect, screw-ups occur.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by yorkshirelad

LOL@ your numbers logic, and for telling me I am and everyone else is incompetent.

You actually believe the people that made the computer you are typing on are really dumb, the city you live in is just a fluke. etc.

Well, for you it is all just too easy huh.

I submit that many are very simple and just cannot expand the thinking that actually ALOT of groups of people are willing and able to baffle those who just cannot believe the big lies, and they have been doing it for a hell of a long time.
edit on 11-5-2013 by ParasuvO because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I like the unknown and mysteries and paranormal stuff and UFO and alien subject.But I never expected to see an incredible UFO sightings back in the 90's.So I think whatever or whoever aliens are they are real.
Triangular objects and a oval green and yellow disc shaped saucer and a circular object all lasted 45 mins or so.

Had a view of one of the triangular UFOs and it was plain as day 3 red lights on the corners and a blueish and white light in the middle.Some of them where stopping to a total stand still then going again with no sound.I believe one of the triangular UFOs was chased by a military helicopter which I only heard because the helicopter was flying with its lights off.
Anyways that sorta got me more into some sort of belief in some conspiracies.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
In science, the value of any theory lies in its ability to predict events.

Einstein’s Relativity theory predicted that gravity would affect light, and that we should be able to measure that. After his death, scientists were able to do just that. So even if his theories are wrong, we can still use them to predict events until they are refined or replaced.

We still aren’t 100% certain about the composition of atoms, but our current theories of the Atomic Model explain things like electricity, chemical reactions, radioactive decay, and a host of other phenomenon. We keep using it until we have something better.

Evolution has more scientific acceptance than Creation Theory because it gives us a model to predict how an organism might adapt to its environment. When we see evidence that God is creating new creatures, Creation Theory might gain more acceptance in scientific circles.

The usefulness of any conspiracy theory also lies in its ability to help us explain events.

If an international banking cartel is trying to achieve world domination, then we could expect that any government working against this cartel would be considered a threat to world order. We could expect that this cartel would be above the laws of individual nations. And we could expect that national governments would work against the best interests of their people if those interests conflicted with the cartel. Do these things happen? If so, then the NWO conspiracy, true or not, is still and accurate model for predicting future events, until something better comes along.

If the 9-11 attack was a false flag, then it must have been designed to get people to accept an agenda that they would not accept under normal circumstances. If so, then you could predict certain actions by the government, and see if those actions occurred. You could even test these predictions in the stock market. You could predict which kind of companies would prosper in such an environment. If you’re right, you could make money. For me, buying gold at $500 - $800 an ounce worked out well

I’m not a big fan of the Moon Landing Hoax conspiracy. Even if it’s true, how does it help to predict future events? We certainly have the technology to go there now, as I believe we did then.

Vaccines. If they are harmful, we could expect increased rates of death and illness. Of course, that could also just be a result of a more toxic environment that we have created. But if that were the case, why would pharmaceutical companies need legal immunity from the harmful effects of their products? All I know is, first hand, every person I know who was down hard from a flu bug in the past couple of years had the vaccine. No deaths, but I haven’t had the vaccine and I haven’t caught any bug. So I’ll stick with not taking a vaccine and I wouldn’t recommend them for anyone else.

Bottom line, you can believe what you want. If what you believe enables you to correctly predict future events, then stick with it. If someone tells me they can scratch their nose, rub their eyes, sing “Do Wah Diddy” and that enables them to predict the numbers on a roulette wheel 30 times out of 100, I’m skeptical. If someone actually does that and hits the numbers, I pay attention.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotel1

Not really, in fact it might even benefit NWO handlers if most politicians were not that smart at all. If a politician's need in life is money and power, and someone offers him everything he dreamed about with a little note on the side that tells him his very own political agenda, well, you just witnessed the birth of a puppet politician. He does not need to be especially bright, he just needs to favor and oppose what he is told to.

People are not that hard to control. Most of us actually crave it, although we don't think of it in this way. All someone has to do is offer a story that you can believe and if you, by chance, attach your emotions to that story then you have unwittingly become a part of that story. There are a million examples but how about the 'American Dream' we are all chasing, supposedly. Have you bought into the 'American Dream' story? If you believe this then you are in a sense controlled because somewhere along the lines this story was told to you, you felt it is a good thing and from then on, you will work for the rest of your life chasing this idea. Did someone need to be smart to tell you that story? Did someone need to hold a gun to your head to coerce you to believe in this concept? Of course not. People WANTED this and most people will spend their days living out this story.

All you have to do is offer a story that people can believe; God, USA is number 1, Iraq has WMD's, Jesus died for your sins, your safety is more important than your freedoms, government knows best, on and on and on. Amazingly the belief in these stories is what makes it 'real', whether it is a fact or not. For instance, wasn't there a day on Earth when the majority of people thought that the Earth was flat? It was real because the people believed the story about it. Back in the witch hunting days you could die at a burning stake simply because people believed the story that you were a witch. The stories that we believe, whether factual or not, are the realities that we create for ourselves.

It is stated by numerous people that the idea of a NWO is in play. This is a real thing to those that believe the story. It does not take super smart people to pull this off, only a 'faith' in it's validity in the exact way that most of us believe that we are living the American Dream.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
The 2003 Iraq invasion is the most cut and dry conspiracy fact that exists to this day.

We never took the incident to court as would happen in a sane society that believes in a system of justice, but its true. The lies, the manufactured satellite photos shown to the United Nations. Its a clear conspiracy between groups of people within the United States government to start a war under criminal circumstances.

But go on believing no conspiracy theories are true. Its what you're supposed to do anyway.

You state that you do believe in some conspiracies but your subject line states that you are no longer a conspiracy theorist. I'm sorry, but if you do believe some conspiracies to be true you still are one. You cannot espouse your true beliefs in public on the conspiracies you believe in without being labeled one.
edit on 11-5-2013 by Frith because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Now all I seem to get from the OP is that conspiracies dont really exist.
Erm....The Bolshevik Revolution.
Operation Northwoods,
Watergate,
Iran-Contra,
The Bay Of Pigs,
The Lucitania,
The Burning Of The Reichstag,
The Balfour Declaration,
Just to name a few.

What I really think the OP is basically saying.."Anyone that believes in conspiracies is an idiot"
I say that anyone that disregards all conspiracies as false because of the crazy fringe theories that can be easily disproved, is the real idiot.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join