It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I'm No Longer A Conspiracy Theorist

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by lampsalot

So you come on a conspiracy theorist website and tell us why you are no longer a conspiracy theorist...

So get to work debunking

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
A lot of people like to believe in conspiracies because they feel like they are not in control of their own lives. They fail, and come to believe it's because there is some organization there making them fail. They can't just accept that it's because of their own shortcomings. Instead, they prefer to think it's because they have a superior moral position.

Just because people get together and organize to accomplish something doesn't automatically make it a conspiracy. It's just cooperation and communication. The reason people give it the negative label of "conspiracy" and think that it's evil is that is doesn't go along with what they personally want or believe. Again, the kind of feeling pathetic losers and failures get. Blame others. Why not?

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
To tell you the truth, i don't know what to believe. So I place my beliefs in my family and friends that are close. After all... isn't that what is the most important in an individual life? Besides, it has proven time and time again that we (as in We The People" are only important come election time. Playing by the rules really isn't that hard in this country and because of this it has made people really not care about the vote either.

As for conspiracies... well.... if there is a conspiracy, there is a way to make money off it if it gets any traction and in a society which money is a very important factor, that gives a heckava motive to keep them going.

I was just joking around with my mother just about an hour ago when there was this commercial where this alein named Ralph was sitting at a dinner table with a family and I just jokingly hollered out, "DISCLOSURE!! DISCLOSURE!!" Getting people to get used to aliens at the dinner table now!!". I got a chuckle out of it (my singular humor hit me) and my mother looked at me quizzically so I explained disclosure to her (shes a big time ghost hunters, Ghost collector, Ancient Alien watcher) . In closing I told her that I don't think commercials are a "conspiracy" to get us used to aliens. It is because media tends to reflect society and they have the aliens in the commercial because a lot of people are interested in them.

Anyway... I don't think there is any merit in the government rounding us up, chipping us and then making us work in work camps. What is the use? It would just make us way less productive as a society and not really effective. There needs to be the freedom to go out and buy goods and services in this throw away society and you just can't do that in a work camp paying with script.

Do governmetns and corporations do evil things? You betcha... but my arms are tired from being up in an uproar and I have decided what is good for me is to see what is really important. Taking care and loving my family and having good friends and living within my means. Life is so much simpler that way,

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Double post...

edit on 10-5-2013 by Terminal1 because: deleted

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Nice topic and I think I feel your sentiment.

I like to follow the conspiracies because as I see a sense in consdiering such things that dicatate our lifes, such as policy changes, religion movements etc which are discussed from every angle here.

I feel some people want a change but sometimes I feel if changed was offered it would be lauged at or ignored, the people with the power to do something have it OK so it will contines as it is.

I think about the hunderds of millions who enjoy a sporting event at the weekend, wether they be young, old, family or thugs. They hear on the radio someone talking about the subjects raised here they would turn the channel.

It can be very taboo to talk deeply. Its an uncomfortable conversation that lays you open.

In my youth you couldnt talk about relgion, 2012, and things like that. As we say Tits, boobs and beer or not inetersted.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift
The reason people give it the negative label of "conspiracy" and think that it's evil is that is doesn't go along with what they personally want or believe. Again, the kind of feeling pathetic losers and failures get. Blame others. Why not?

Conspiracy theorists are punks who hate authority simply for being authority, no matter how well deserved that authority may or may not be.

Some of us "punks" see it quite differently.

The pathetic losers and failures are the people that worship at the alter of authority and are so frightened that
something might disturb their narrow view of reality; they feel compelled to call people names that they disagree with.

see my sig....
edit on 10-5-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Welcome to the wholly rational side of ATS! I've been your new way all my adult life. Much of your post mirror my sentiments. I have been telling people for years on the web that if they don't know the answer about something, LEARN the answer, don't just go to whatever website and accept their answer without question. Too many times that seems to be the conspiracy-minded trend, which they then turn around all backwards and tell people to "think for themselves" and saying "you have a closed mind."

It's nice to know the answers to some questions, and most questions actually do have answers...real, hard facts that cannot be disputed. But always there are still questions with no known answer, and keeping an open mind is a good thing, too. For example, I say that there is no such thing as a "chemtrail", but also think that the Tasmanian Tiger is still in hiding. I know the Illuminati is a centuries old boogie man story, but am LDS...which some would say is it's own conspiracy.
The world is a wonderful place and really there is enough strange things that happen with no conspiracy needed.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Why I'm No Longer A Conspiracy Theorist

Well, let me reply this way: Why I have never been and never will be a conspiracy theorist... is because the term is a stereotype meant to degrade anyone who doesn't immediately bite the worm on every hook tossed their way.

Over the years, I've seen a lot of things that eventually began to paint a less than rosy picture of life in this modern world. It doesn't center on any one single topic, doesn't frame any single political party or politician. In fact, the image one is left with is the state of the human race and our susceptibility to things like greed and gullibility.

Oh yes, we do prefer to march to a certain beat and regardless of how hard we try to imagine ourselves as being free and independent of thought... most of us still do have slants that we lean into. As such, anyone at all could fall under the term, 'conspiracy theorist' because in every quarter, there is always a hidden threat lurking in the shadows.

For instance, the left doesn't trust the right and the right doesn't trust the left. Ask the most level headed people you know who are also loyal party members and they will swear on a stack of bibles (or korans or torahs or... whatever) that the 'other guys' are out to destroy the world!

You gotta love politics... it's so damned predictable!

Same goes in nearly every other corner diner or cafe or coffee shop; quiet conversations about how this person or that company or another politician is out to steal your kid's Mountain Dew!

Anyway... one can spout claims of being this or not being that but, in the end, we're all, all of that and then some. It's just part of the human equation.

Cheers

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Subterranean13
You grow up, and if you're intelligent, you learn how stupid most conspiracy theories are.

Or you don't and keep posting them.

Welcome to the adult world.
edit on 10-5-2013 by Subterranean13 because: (no reason given)

yes
vaccinated dead children are always stupid
but then as we have seen:
some vaccines just cause symptoms akin to retardation

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   

AboveTopSecret.com is the Internet's largest and most popular discussion board community dedicated to the intelligent exchange of ideas and debate on a wide range of "alternative topics" such as conspiracies, UFO's, paranormal, secret societies, political scandals, new world order, terrorism, and dozens of related topics with a diverse mix of users from all over the world.

With 283,277 members generating 16,237,984 posts of substance (minimal contributions are not allowed) that cover 931,896 topics in 167 different discussion forums, you could say "the truth is in here."

And new content, new ideas, new speculation, and new theories are being generating at an astounding pace with 2,975 members creating 31,519 new posts during the past seven days. Also, in that same time span, we welcomed 274 new members and enjoyed visits from 7,805 registered members as well as 928,795 guests.

The simple yet effective motto of our membership is "deny ignorance", which signifies an effort to apply the principals of critical thought and peer review to the provocative topics covered within. More than a slogan, our members have embraced the motto as our collective cultural standard, demanding all to aspire to a higher standard. These simple two words have galvanized a broad membership that spans the spectrum from highly speculative conspiracy writers to staunch doubters. The result is a unique collaboration of diverse individuals rallying under this simple statement to learn from each other, discover new truths, and imagine new ideas that expand our minds.

This motto has life. It has purpose. It demands ATS members to think.

It is a state of mind.

It is a sense of purpose.

It is a statement against the paradigm.

It is a rage against the mindless status-quo.

The idea of "deny ignorance" isn't a goal that ATS hopes to accomplish. Instead, it's a challenge. A call to all those who come here to aspire to a higher state of awareness through informed discussion and debate.

Deny ignorance is what we do.

It's how we think. It's how we talk. It's how we listen.

Ignorance is the social disease of history. Is the evil that men do, the reason history repeats, and the cause of intolerance.

We deny it. it's not welcome here. Within these boundaries, it has no strength.

Here, ignorance is denied.

About Abovetopsecret.com

For those with the "Why be one a conspiracy website then" approach... ATS is not a conspiracy website, it is a discussion board where conspiracies happen to be one of the topics - as addressed from all sides, believers and sceptics alike. There are plenty of sites where one can post a picture or a theory and get nothing except pats on the back and agreement... there are sights where one can't get people to agree that the sky is blue no matter how much proof is offered. ATS strives to be the site where the actual truth of a matter might be gotten to, rather than just catering to conformation biases and predispositions. We achieve this by having a diverse membership, from all walks of life and backgrounds - who come together to offer multiple points of view so that a reader can make up their own minds about which side presents the more compelling argument.

Is everything rooted in some grand conspiracy? I think not. Do conspiracies actually exist? Absolutely. The point of ATS is to provide us with a common ground where we might discuss the nuances of any given subject or event so that we may decide, for ourselves, which seem suspect.

All or nothing thinking is our enemy... which is why we strive to deny ignorance.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   
how many jugs of kool aid have you had lately

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
From his autobiography:

“We are grateful to the Washington Post, the New York Times, Time Magazine and other great publications whose directors have attended our meetings and respected their promises of discretion for almost 40 years......It would have been impossible for us to develop our plan for the world if we had been subjected to the lights of publicity during those years. But, the world is more sophisticated and prepared to march towards a world government. The supernational sovereignty of an intellectual elite and world bankers is surely preferable to the national autodetermination practiced in past centuries.”
― David Rockefeller

Straight from the Horse's mouth.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   

I didn't mean punk as an ad hominem, I meant it quite in the literal sense, btw. A punk to me is someone who is rebellious merely for the sake of it.

Indeed Libertarianism and anarchy have close links on any ideological spectrum chart!.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by MuzzleBreak

That is not from any memoir. The quote is attributed as something said during a meeting of the Bildeberg group in 1991. There is dissenting opinion as to whether or not the quote is legitimate or not.
edit on 5/10/13 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/10/13 by Hefficide because: typo

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by MuzzleBreak
From his autobiography:

“We are grateful to the Washington Post, the New York Times, Time Magazine and other great publications whose directors have attended our meetings and respected their promises of discretion for almost 40 years......It would have been impossible for us to develop our plan for the world if we had been subjected to the lights of publicity during those years. But, the world is more sophisticated and prepared to march towards a world government. The supernational sovereignty of an intellectual elite and world bankers is surely preferable to the national autodetermination practiced in past centuries.”
― David Rockefeller

Straight from the Horse's mouth.

metabunk.org...

He's an internationalist, okay. I get that. I don't like his family. But I don't think he has nearly as much power as a lot of people think.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Conspiracies are nothing more than taking reality too serious. Sure most of them are at least partly true, but that's real life. Most people run aware not even realizing these things are happening and they seem perfectly happy in their ignorance. When you go to sleep, wipe out everything you learned and the next day will still be there.....well unless you die in your sleep of course.

Sounds & looks like most aussies including here on ats!

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Conspiracy "Theory" ? Ohh crap! I always seen myself as a conspiracy-terrorist... i just love terrorizing those wild conspiracy's i get from the mainstream

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

I'm fairly certain that Rockefeller quote is in my copy of "Memoirs". I'll try to find it to make sure. I know this one is there:

"For more than a century, ideological extremists at either end of the political spectrum have seized upon well-publicized incidents to attack the Rockefeller family for the inordinate influence they claim we wield over American political and economic institutions. Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure - one world, if you will.

If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it."

edit on 10-5-2013 by MuzzleBreak because: addition/change

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

as addressed from all sides, believers and sceptics alike. There are plenty of sites where one can post a picture or a theory and get nothing except pats on the back and agreement... there are sights where one can't get people to agree that the sky is blue no matter how much proof is offered. ATS strives to be the site where the actual truth of a matter might be gotten to, rather than just catering to conformation biases and predispositions. We achieve this by having a diverse membership, from all walks of life and backgrounds - who come together to offer multiple points of view so that a reader can make up their own minds about which side presents the more compelling argument.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...
thats what I said to YOU on YOUR anti conspiracy thread
and you argued with me

thats a real LOL man
really

edit on 10-5-2013 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-5-2013 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Actually I argued my opinion on a specific subject. How exactly does that come into dispute with anything I've said here? Again with the all or nothing approach...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join