It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hispanic worker sues for injury; Couldn't read warning sign in English...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
so if some one can not read.
they have to have a speaking sign?

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I will never understand what is so bad about asking foreign-speaking immigrants to learn a little bit of basic English before they go live in an English-speaking country. What is so unreasonable about that?

Why are English-speaking host countries expected to put themselves out financially by printing signs in foreign languages, but foreigners aren't expected to make any effort whatsoever?

Wouldn't it be to their own benefit, and wouldn't they fare better in their host country if they they learned the language? I'm puzzled as to why they won't.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by doobydoll
I will never understand what is so bad about asking foreign-speaking immigrants to learn a little bit of basic English before they go live in an English-speaking country. What is so unreasonable about that?

Why are English-speaking host countries expected to put themselves out financially by printing signs in foreign languages, but foreigners aren't expected to make any effort whatsoever?

Wouldn't it be to their own benefit, and wouldn't they fare better in their host country if they they learned the language? I'm puzzled as to why they won't.

Most of the signs, labels, "press 1 for english" occurences you see are not because the government mandates it, it is because business see an opportunity to make money.

It's capitalism, busnisess see a market and they attempt to tap it.

If you don't like it, boycott the company...but don't look to the government to force everyone to speak the same language or to outlaw signs/labels in other languages...that is not very American or freedom-like.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

They're not Spanish anymore. They haven't been for some time.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Todzer

My family came here from Germany in the 1880's. They didn't expect people to learn German. My family learned the language of the country - English.

You settle in another country, you learn their language NOT the other way around.

Duh.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Union is representing these workers over grievances that have been denied by college. The union is Colrado Wins. The main thing the workers are asking for is translation in their meetings and papers they sign. Haven't seen hardly anything about the safety signs except for what the reporter in the ops link stated that one of the ladies had said.

I see fault on both sides. On the employer side for hiring people knowing they don't speak English (interview process) and on the employees for not learning English. Hell, one guy has been there for 14 years.But more than anything, I see a union trying to get more power over the employer. At least that is the way I understood the grievance below.

Case PDF

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
this thread has inspired me to do a little research, and i came across this page.
i will post link at the end of this post.

here have a look at the last paragraph, and pay close attention to the very last line.
this says it all to me, regardless of all the trouble they had most stayed. and not one mention of them wanting things or signs put in their language.

so why do hispanic workers feel that things should be changed for them. don't get me wrong i'm not talking about getting taken advantage of. i talking about getting on with their new life and becoming part of the new country they chose, with out being catered to.

For the newcomers arriving without family, some solace could be found in the ethnic neighborhoods populated by their fellow countrymen. Here they could converse in their native tongue, practice their religion, and take part in cultural celebrations that helped ease the loneliness. Often, though, life for all was not easy. Most industries offered hazardous conditions and very low wages--lowered further after the padrone took out his share. Urban housing was overcrowded and unsanitary. Many found it very difficult to accept. An old Italian saying summed up the disillusionment felt by many: "I came to America because I heard the streets were paved with gold. When I got here, found out three things: First, the streets weren't paved with gold; second, they weren't paved at all: and third, I was expected to pave them." In spite of the difficulties, few gave up and returned home.

Immigration in the Early 1900s
edit on 10-5-2013 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by hounddoghowlie
this thread has inspired me to do a little research, and i came across this page.
i will post link at the end of this post.

here have a look at the last paragraph, and pay close attention to the very last line.
this says it all to me, regardless of all the trouble they had most stayed. and not one mention of them wanting thing put in their language.

so why do hispanic workers feel that things should be changed for them. don't get me wrong i'm not talking about getting taken advantage of. i talking about getting on with their new life and becoming part of the new country they chose, with out being catered to.

For the newcomers arriving without family, some solace could be found in the ethnic neighborhoods populated by their fellow countrymen. Here they could converse in their native tongue, practice their religion, and take part in cultural celebrations that helped ease the loneliness. Often, though, life for all was not easy. Most industries offered hazardous conditions and very low wages--lowered further after the padrone took out his share. Urban housing was overcrowded and unsanitary. Many found it very difficult to accept. An old Italian saying summed up the disillusionment felt by many: "I came to America because I heard the streets were paved with gold. When I got here, found out three things: First, the streets weren't paved with gold; second, they weren't paved at all: and third, I was expected to pave them." In spite of the difficulties, few gave up and returned home.

Immigration in the Early 1900s
edit on 10-5-2013 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

What are you talking about?? Most Hispanic immigrants take the grunt jobs for the lowest pay, and they're happy to have them. Many of them work multiple jobs at a time to survive. They work very hard for what little they get. I don't see that they are demanding so much. Maybe they are trying to learn English in their spare time - as if they had any spare time. Until then, would it kill the employers who hired them to make sure their employees are safe?

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by DistantRumor

Originally posted by doobydoll

Most of the signs, labels, "press 1 for english" occurences you see are not because the government mandates it, it is because business see an opportunity to make money.

It's capitalism, busnisess see a market and they attempt to tap it.

If you don't like it, boycott the company...but don't look to the government to force everyone to speak the same language or to outlaw signs/labels in other languages...that is not very American or freedom-like.

I neither like it nor dislike it. I just asked a few reasonable questions.

If it isn't mandated by the gov and the companies are not forced, but have a choice whether or not to print signs in foreign languages, they haven't done anything wrong have they?

How did the worker get a job where her language, and allegedly the only one she understands, isn't catered for? Could this worker be pretending they didn't understand the sign, and is hoping for a big payout? This worker understands plenty, and although unable/unwilling/can't be arsed to learn any English at all since emigrating, has managed to quickly learn that lawsuits like this pay big bucks in the sue-nited States of America.

I think the worker is telling porkies, and can understand English. Just my opinion.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Never understood that either.

Move to Russia you'd be expect to learn, and speak Russian, move to France, be expected to speak French, move to China, and be expected to speak one of those dialects.

The op is one among many reasons any immigrant who moves here should learn, and speak english.

200+ years ago the founders would have never even thought it would ever be an issue.

A country that can't communicate with each other is doomed to fail goes back to that most famous:

E. Pluribus Unum- Out of many people come one.

One people.
One indentity.
One voice.

For the record when a person who says ,'People should speak english' is not racist,. language is learned not 'born as'.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Hey ..where does it state that America is specifically an English speaking only country?

America’s English-Only Movement is Short-sighted

Worse than just pushing a bill that is legally questionable, the English-only movement is woefully ignorant of one key phenomenon: Spanish is big business in the United States. The U.S. is a rising Hispanic power

This is America! We speak English- and Spanish, and French, and Chinese, and…

In spite of what you might have seen on the Internet, the United States does not have an official language. Some states have chosen official languages for themselves, but English has never been the official language in this country, because it has never been the only language in this country.

America's fabulously mongrel language is a model of immigration reform

Take Spanish, a frequent target of American lexical jingoism: English has been borrowing words from Spanish – or its ancestor language, Old Spanish – since the 14th century. It's not surprising when you consider that Spain was one of the reigning world powers in the Middle Ages. During the 15th and 16th centuries, the Spanish managed to circumnavigate the globe, conquer half of the New World, and claim the Pacific Ocean. They gave the world Henry VIII's first (and most long-lived) wife, Catherine of Aragon. And they coughed up two Popes and an Antipope.

Also If you want English to be the official language..stop using other cultures words...

English Borrows from Spanish

Alligator: el lagarto, the lizard
Booby: bobo, silly or selfish, from the Latin for stammering, balbus
Bronco: meaning wild or rough
Cafeteria: cafetería, a coffee shop
Cargo: cargar, to load Cigar, Cigarette: cigarro
Comrade: camarada, old Spanish for barracks company or roommate
Guerrilla: a small raiding party or fighting force
Hoosegow: from juzgado, a tribunal or courtroom, past participle of juzgar, to judge
Mustang: mestengo or mesteño, a stray animal
Patio: courtyard in Spanish
Peccadillo: a form of pecado, to sin
Renegade: renegado, deserter or outlaw
Savvy: saber, to know T
ornado: tornar, to turn, tronada, thunderstorm
Vamoose: vamos, let's go

Just an example from one culture the Americans love to borrow from.

And finally ....

English Only?

Insisting on English as our official language shows a lack of historical knowledge and practical thinking. It can best be explained as racist, and the issue is certainly used by racists to advance their own, sick agendas. In turn, by promoting divisions between us, corporate interests benefit. Our inability to organize together against common economic forces and foes leads to lesser wages and lower living standards for all poor and working people.

Obviously, the people who settled this country didn't feel English was so important that the states they would be living in had to be named in that language.

To claim that languages aside from English have no place or history in the United States is a narrow view that isn't backed up by the facts.

If you bring up the forefathers could not have seen the future...the same argument could be used for guns. But this isn't about guns right now..it is about a few ignorant fools attempting to make something out of nothing.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by suz62
You want to live and work in the United States then learn the language. We speak English.

You want to speak Spanish go back to Mexico.

The United States of America does not have an official language. Why does anyone expect everything to be in English?

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74

You want to live and work in the United States then learn the language. We speak English.

The United States of America does not have an official language. Why does anyone expect everything to be in English?

You are supposed to demonstrate some proficiency in English before being granted citizenship. We have an inconvenient little requirement known as assimilation.

No speaky English = no yob!

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

None of the other countries you list are very good at welcoming people from other countries to live in theirs. America is different. We have always welcomed all people from all countries. We are a melting pot of foreigners. We should have a different attitude than the Russians or French or Chinese.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

You are supposed to demonstrate some proficiency in English before being granted citizenship. We have an inconvenient little requirement known as assimilation.

No speaky English = no yob!

No yob?, careful your racism is showing.

How about this, if your so desperate for cheep labor, and want to avoid such situations, either have English be a requirement of the job. OR accommodate said cheep labor.

That simple, and yes Assimilation is important, so this is all on the university, if employers made English a requirement of jobs, none of this would be a problem.

As always it all comes down to greed and wanting to save money.

ETA

Just something to think about

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land; Here at our sea-washed,
sunset gates shall stand A mighty woman with a torch,
whose flame Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name Mother of Exiles.
From her beacon-hand Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she With silent lips.
"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these,
the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

edit on 10-5-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

America 'welcomed foreigners' ???

Where the hell does someone get that?

Treated the Irish like crap
Treated the Africans like crap
Treated the Chinese like crap
Treated the Polish like crap
Treated the Japanese like crap
Treated the Germans like crap.

And the list goes on.

Why the hell should Mexicans be any different?

In fact treating immigrants like crap has always been a part of American history.

I
edit on 10-5-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv

Originally posted by DistantRumor
reply to post by guohua

If an organization is going to hire people that don't speak English, then it is their responsibility that they are still safe in the work place.

No one forced them to hire these people who don't speak English, it was their choice. And since it was their choice, it is their duty to ensure their safety and that includes providing warning signs in the language of the people they decide to hire.

Yep - very true. If you don't want to have translated signs, then don't hire Spanish-speaking only people. Don't tell me the company wasn't aware when they interviewed her that she only spoke Spanish. It's up to the employer to do what they can to keep their employees safe. That includes ALL employees, not just the ones who speak English.

Everythings for the best in the best of all possible worlds......Youre telling me that after a time working there the woman didnt know what the signs were even by the shape or colour.....no...this is an immigrant who wants a quick buck accompanied by her ambulance chasing lawyer....Lionel Hutz of The Simpsons.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Furthermore, let's define "English". I have heard some dialects in the inner cities as well as the rural south that is anything but English. Should these natural born citizens go back to school for some language reeducation? And to those talking about making English a requirement, should that be limited to the spoken language or should it include reading comprehension? How about sentence structure? There are plenty of natural born citizens that can neither read nor write....and many of those are the same people I speak of above (from inner cities and rural areas).

Who get's to decide what is adequate comprehension and what is not? Why not simply recognize that we are all individuals and are each entitled to live life the way we see fit? If the language barrier is an issue, then don't hire, befriend or associate with those that you can not communicate...OR, perhaps folks should make an attempt to understand foreign speaking individuals and, in turn, encourage the non-English speaking to do the same.

The last thing I want is another law telling free-willed individuals what they must do....it's nothing but lazy, better than thou, righteous indignation.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   

reply to post by Todzer

My family came here from Germany in the 1880's. They didn't expect people to learn German. My family learned the language of the country - English.

You settle in another country, you learn their language NOT the other way around.

Duh.

And this person is probably learning English just like your family did or was your family magically fluent in English as soon as they hit America?

Duh

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

English is not required to get a green card or a work visa, further lots of legal immigrant families don't learn english beyond what's needed to pass the test and don't teach their children english. Are you saying people aren't at liberty to speak whatever language they choose? Should there be a law that makes people take english classes? A government agency that oversees english fluency?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join