It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Intelligent Robots Will Overtake Humans by 2100, Experts Say

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by fairguy

I added more to my previous post.

And lazy fat people hooked up to computers are much easier to control.

See where we are headed?

No, of course not. We are blinded by the false promise of enlightenment.

People are getting soft...

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by applesthateatpeople
reply to post by fairguy

I added more to my previous post.

And lazy fat people hooked up to computers are much easier to control.

See where we are headed?

No, of course not. We are blinded by the false promise of enlightenment.

People are getting soft...

I wouldn't say blinded I would say more interested than anything else. Of course I realise that as long as I am around, and for the forseeable generations afterwards that there will always be lazy people around, but that doesn't mean to say they (whoever "they" is these days
) can't at least look into things like this in our time. Even out of mere interest, if nothing more.
I think so anyway.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix267

Huh...I thought the point of singularity was somewhere around 2026? Then again, it might take longer than that:

www.elon.edu...

I realize the source I linked isn't exactly credible, but it still makes for some fascinating perusal.
edit on 7-5-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
The Singularity will be here a lot sooner than 2100. Ray Kurzweil is the man & he has a plethora of great videos on YouTube you can check out.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by TopherWayne
The Singularity will be here a lot sooner than 2100. Ray Kurzweil is the man & he has a plethora of great videos on YouTube you can check out.

Or... could be one of those failed future events that have place only in our imagination, like... flying cars, people flying around with jet-packs, underwater cities (like that video game I never remember the name).

Sure it can become reality but it can also be something we dont actually need. I can see the need for automation but I dont actually see the need for a full automated AI as intelligent as a human being to the point you can call it a "singularity". We do need a certain degree of A.I yes, but not a full one.

Plus lets be real if a technological singularity occurs A.Is have no reason to like us whatsoever... so taking that into account we'd never let something get as smart as us without a fail safe, and with a fail safe you cant call it a "singularity" since we're not at the same level - we are always able to shut it down.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

"underwater cities"

Bioshock?

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   
if something as small as a simple computer, at this point in time, can dumb us down this much then it'll happen way before 2100.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by TopherWayne

"underwater cities"

Bioshock?

That!
sorry I dont play a lot but I like video games
thanks!

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by n3mesis
if something as small as a simple computer, at this point in time, can dumb us down this much then it'll happen way before 2100.

Dumb us down? Speak for yourself!

Dude my computer is freaking fast but its bloody stupid. Its like a sports car with no one at the wheel...

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni

Dude my computer is freaking fast but its bloody stupid. Its like a sports car with no one at the wheel...

Just how fast exactly??

Peace,

Korg

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Korg Trinity

Just how fast exactly??

Peace,

Korg

its the i7-3970x ... but its not clocked or anything cause I dont bother. So yea I guess it could be faster dont break my balls over it alright?

edit: oh sorry... from 3.5 to 4ghz I think.
edit on 7-5-2013 by FraternitasSaturni because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Hehe, no problem!

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   

i made no mention of pc specs.. i'm talking about the masses of drones who fill their day on facebook playing stupid games hoping to God that at least one of the hundreds or thousands of "friends" they've added might talk to them.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by n3mesis

ah ok. I admit I didnt think of that cause I dont have a facebook. Always forget that thing exists...

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   
If I was lonely old and in need of help I would pay for a gorgeous looking female robot to cook clean and care for me. Its 2013 and Japan is working fast in this area. I believe by 2018 Japan will almost crack the robot jackpot

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   

The Singularity is coming... and sooner than most might think.

However, I believe it won't be a us Vs. them more a merging of man and machine.

This is known as transhumism... some may argue it is against nature, I personally think it is our next logical natural progression.

S&F

Korg.

Working in the computer industry for as long as I have I hope you are wrong! Biology has been around for BILLIONS of years synthetics and AI have yet to be developed. I would take upgraded DNA or Bioenhancements over being trapped in unfeeling, faulty, glitchy, bad written, hardware any day.

Think about any trouble you have had upgrading a phone, PC or anything consider a so called "Smart Device" or if you have ever lost very important Data to never have it return, now imagine your consciousnesses inside that device you forgot to backup... LOL whoops!

I used to believe in transhumanism until I actually worked with computer now there is no way I would want to be stuck in that digital HELL!

The singularity is the RaptureAfterlife for pseudo-intellectuals who have no spirituality and lack understanding to how crappy and temperamental electronics can be, because when it breaks they just go out and purchase a new one...

edit on 8-5-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified

Originally posted by yourmaker
I don't agree with those findings unless they have a bunch of info they are not telling us for security purposes.

Just seems way too soon for that type of prediction when we don't even have the base components set in place to even begin the process, besides the exterior physical functions of the robots.

Strictly my opinion, of course, but I think it's possible androids and clones have been among us for a long time now.

I don't know about androids...clones possibly. I have a gut feeling that a sentient AI has already been "born" and is hiding on the internet. I mean, it is what I would do if I was a new AI.

The internet itself may eventually become self aware. I'm no expert on this, but it seems when a system reaches a level of complexity, it can start to exhibit behaviors of intelligence. A true test in the future would be if the internet exhibited autonomous behavior that was indicative of "self preservation".

One can almost think of each computer connected to the WWW as a neuron, and the fiber optic cables as nerve connections in our brain. We are basically wiring a planet-wide nervous system with the internet.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage
Working in the computer industry for as long as I have I hope you are wrong! Biology has been around for BILLIONS of years synthetics and AI have yet to be developed. I would take upgraded DNA or Bioenhancements over being trapped in unfeeling, faulty, glitchy, bad written, hardware any day.

Think about any trouble you have had upgrading a phone, PC or anything consider a so called "Smart Device" or if you have ever lost very important Data to never have it return, now imagine your consciousnesses inside that device you forgot to backup... LOL whoops!

I used to believe in transhumanism until I actually worked with computer now there is no way I would want to be stuck in that digital HELL!

The singularity is the RaptureAfterlife for pseudo-intellectuals who have no spirituality and lack understanding to how crappy and temperamental electronics can be, because when it breaks they just go out and purchase a new one...

Isn't this way of thinking a bit like finding that a person whom cleans for a living has a really dirty house?

I'm not saying our consciousnesses disappear into an atx case....

I am saying we take the best parts of technology and incorporate them into ourselves. there are already non invasive methods being developed to be able to directly transfer information between organics and machine. But I think we will go all the way and incorporate hardware into ourselves in a kind of cyborg manor. but this won't be unfeeling cold technology it will just enhance what we already poses.

I think we will also develop organics that can be incorporated directly into machines... like using neurons to control certain aspects of a systems control functions.

see where I am coming from?

Peace,

Korg.

edit on 8-5-2013 by Korg Trinity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage

Isn't this way of thinking a bit like finding that a person whom cleans for a living has a really dirty house?

I'm not saying our consciousnesses disappear into an atx case....

I am saying we take the best parts of technology and incorporate them into ourselves. there are already non invasive methods being developed to be able to directly transfer information between organics and machine. But I think we will go all the way and incorporate hardware into ourselves in a kind of cyborg manor. but this won't be unfeeling cold technology it will just enhance what we already poses.

I think we will also develop organics that can be incorporated directly into machines... like using neurons to control certain aspects of a systems control functions.

see where I am coming from?

Peace,

Korg.

edit on 8-5-2013 by Korg Trinity because: (no reason given)

We are already incorporate ourselves with technology! LOL We have always used technology as a tool. We have also always augmented our bodies from the beginning of time (head binding, neck extensions, and other other cough mutilation). Glasses became contacts became laser surgery, became (insert a technology update either artificial eyes or Growing new ones). Yet we remain fundamentally unchanged as humans.

There will not be a singularity where we upload our minds, it is a pipe dream like flying cars and utopias for people who are too suborn to have spirituality and too scared to die. Poor Kurzweil for such a brilliant man he is petrified of death.

I work with a robot(an automated tape removal device) that is the most temperamental piece of crap (YET IS STATE OF THE ART). Robotics are getting amazing don't get me wrong but it is a LONG LONG ways from being used in humanity. Even cybernetic arms or legs are still in the experimental stages but still very amazing!

I get where you are coming from, but wait you fail to grasp is there is not some point where man becomes machine. Like the example I gave let's spin it into recent tech. The Abacus becomes the ENIAC becomes the Mainframe, becomes the PC, becomes the blackberry, becomes the smart phone, becomes Google glass. At what point did we integrate? Have we made our hands hammers? We are tool users and builders.

We use a Keyboard and mouse currently and are now we are moving to touch screens or gesture motion sensing. At one point they have tried to make implantable controls (which never really did the job). Now they have less invasive forms of control by using brain waves.

Where does that leave the cyborg? Unless you are in an accident why would you want an artificial arm or leg? Ask any amputee if a new one could grow you a new one or give you artificial I can guarantee the answer.

although the same can be said with Biological processes who's to say we will not become more than human this way?

Stop believing false tech Prophets (profits) and use some logic. Kurzweil is only a modern day Harold Camping or Edgar Cayce only a much smarter Charlatan selling his digital snake oil in books and lectures, here is a great counter argument about why the Singularity is not near!

Calling 2100 the day a of the "Singularity" is naive at best and besides Ray said it would be 2045!

Now messing with our DNA well that is another story and that may lead us to no longer being human...

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

No longer being human? Well... you'd be... human+ but still human. Thats why I'm pro transhumanism. Being human is not a physical thing, is a mindset, is a spiritual concept, an idea, a mix of behaviors, thoughts and feelings. It has nothing to do with your physical body or whether you have a "real leg" or a robotic one.

I believe we should address our physical weaknesses and eliminate them in order to become "better" humans. We do not lose humanity by enhancing our physical / mental / intellectual capacities. Thats a flawed idea. What? To you for a human to be human has to remain physically and intellectually weak forever even if we have the technology available to enhance ourselves? That would be stupid... humans are not, by definition, stupid. We make mistakes, but we correct them, that makes us human, so, following that reasoning alone, we look at ourselves, see the mistakes and correct them - thats human. Or Human+ - Whatever you want to call it.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join