It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

13 mile long Crop Circle in the Desert

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by JayinAR

ok - some BASIC mathematics :

13 miles = 20921m

60 yards = 54.8m

10 inches = 25cm

now proof that the claim of 60 yards across and / or 13 miles of line is incorect

54.8m square is a total area of 3003m2

a line 20921m * 25cm = 5230m2

you have just claimed that the area of lines is greater than the total area of the geo-glyph

now that is a face palm

You forgot to count every 25cm² where lines overlap.
Not saying the 13 miles claim is correct -I'm not gonna do the math- but it makes less m² in the total of lines.

link   
? Full page of double posts.. Sorry 'bout this.
Mods please delete.
edit on 7/5/13 by Movhisattva because: (no reason given)

link   
? Full page of double posts..
Mods please delete.

link   
Mods please delete.

link   
Mods please delete.

link   
Mods please delete.

link   
Mods please delete.

link   
Mods please delete.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR
Also, it sorta begs the question of who in the world would go to all that trouble.
I mean, sure, we can sit here and figure out how to do it (and if I were to lay it out, it WOULD be geometrically perfect, btw), but the obvious question is who has the equipment, the know how, the time, and the motive to do this in a dry lakebed in the middle of nowhere.
I can't see this as some corporate paid job, as this is the first I have heard of this glyph and it is apparently years old.
And all the equipment we just discussed is very expensive.

ETA: If I were gonna do it I would drive nails at all my stations and leave them protruding a few tenths. Then I would run chalk lines between all the nails. And I would hav e dude on ditch witch simulataneously so as not to get too far ahead of him. Your station 0+00 would serve as a radius for the circles. I would prefab the flower petals next as you suggested and finish with the squares.

Two days, start to finish.
But someone would have to pay me well. Haha
edit on 7-5-2013 by JayinAR because: (no reason given)

Well you must be a good geometrer, a really good one as the slighest deveiation would ruin the whole.

I did (and do) geometric constructions for fun (and mediatation) and it's hard to get the lines and circles exact enough so that it all fits. Like origame one misfolded line and the pieces (of various star configurations) won't line up.

Try this construction with just a compass and straight edge:

sveta-geometrija.com...

Which gives us the Flower of Life ultimately.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevenaugust
You can't imagine what artists are able to do.

Check out the amazing and beautiful sand art of Jim Denevan, for example:

Anyway, not sure about the "13 miles long" affirmation, as the cropcircleconnector.com site states: "consisted of 13.3 miles of lines" which is not exactly the same thing.

edit on 6-5-2013 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

What are you smoking bro to think that these two things can even possible relate

Our op gives us one that was made over night, 3.3 miles

Yours probably takes a week or two and they arn't even 1 forth the size.

edit on 7-5-2013 by WanderingThe3rd because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by FyreByrd

My quasi legal copy of autocad 2006 would take care of all the hard work for me. Hell, you can use someone else's art and import it into cad and then develop surveying plot points like that. It is quite easy, actually. At least that part of it.
I would set up my instrument a few hundred feet away from my project and check to two points regularly to ?ake sure I am still square to my project.

Surveying equipment is by far the easiest way to accomplish something like this.

ETA: Once the drawing is in cad with a base of reference, it is as easy and point and click. Then you upload that info into a calculator that interfaces with your total station and it as easy as hitting 'next' and turning the angle it spits out.
edit on 7-5-2013 by JayinAR because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Plotus

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
If the lines are 10 inches wide how come we can see them from 9000 ft?

You make a good point. After reading your comment, I did a google search for 'Areal views of 9,000 foot elevation and looked through pictures from that altitude. I sure don't think you could distinguish anything 10 inches wide from that altitude. I think there are inconsistencies in the photo and the information relating to it. Still a good find however.

If no one answered your question they stated each line was 10 inches wide and if you look closer it has multiple lines. hope that helps

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by WanderingThe3rd

It would probably help to look up who Jeane Manning and Bill Witherspoon are, to assess the validity of the claims made. I personally believe them to be sincere, especially about the -implied metaphysics part- of the story which is at least as intriguing as 'made by Aliens' would be. But this is only my opinion, there is no definitive proof.

Mark Paul Petrick, an art teacher who helped with the project, wrote in the Fairfield, Iowa, newspaper that the group didn’t seek publicity but wanted to find out if the ancient symbol would enliven local laws of nature in some perceptible way.

(...)

Undeterred, that summer Bill, a group of friends and his son drove west to a dry lake bed. They chose the Oregon site because of its beauty and remoteness, and because inscribing the alkali surface woudn’t disturb vegetation. Wind and the rare flood would eventually erase it.

During the arduous weeks of making the Sri Yantra, the group daily walked several miles from camp to the work site rather than use vehicles. Instead of expensive surveying tools, they used sun shadows, ancient prinsiples of geometry, long wires, binoculars, flags and sharpened poles.
To inscribe the lines, three crew members pulled the garden cultivator while a fourth steered. They reverently etched a quarter-mile-across Sri Yantra onto forty acres. It contained more than thirteen miles of lines, four inches deep.

A few weeks after he returned to Iowa, the National Guard discovered the design. Days passed while Bill, immersed in preparing for an art exhibit, didn’t hear about their discovery. Later, he realized that the day the design appeared on millions of television screens was the day his plodding work pace suddenly speeded up into round-the-clock prolific painting. At the time he couldn’t understand why he felt hyper-energized. Then a friend phoned to tell him that everyone was talking about the design. Could his inner connection to it have been enlivened by the focused attention, even though he didn’t consciously know what was happening?

Bill wanted to remain anonymous, but the rapidly growing misconceptions bothered him. He paced the floor until deciding to speak out publicly. Immediately an inner nudge urged him outside. Directly above his rural Iowa home, fourteen bald eagles circled, and he recalled the eagle feathers dropped from the gatepost like gifts. A year later a Vedic scholar told him about a rare ceremony to honor the Divine Mother. It is considered successful only if an eagle appears.

bhumi linked

edit on 7-5-2013 by talklikeapirat because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker

Originally posted by Zcustosmorum
Just to throw in my opinion, the design of it is completely human and has been used for a long time to denote harmony and good well-being etc.

Done by people imo, not sure how but that's my gut feeling.

Of course it was done by people, what do they think aliens would do it for?

It's not like their ships would have this engraved on the bottom?

Why would you say "Of course it was done by humans..." How would you know? It could have been aliens.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
The story is very interesting until you realize it was only 13+ miles of lines. I also find the top 3 inches of dirt on a dry lake bed to be rather easy to manipulate, but that doesn't answer the question of where the dirt went. Maybe the pattern didn't really pop up over nite. The dirt could have just blown away, or was pushed around by rain.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Wow. 13 miles of line by ten inches wide by three inches deep. Makes one wonder what the artists did with the 14,300 square feet of earth they dug up.

EDIT: Oh, I see that someone above already noted that the team hiked to the location on foot. It seems they must have manually carried out all that earth. That essentially comes out to be a block of earth 20 feet wide, 20 feet long and 35 feet tall. How many people were supposedly involved in this project involving no vehicles and a long walk each way?
edit on 7-5-2013 by bigfootgurl because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-5-2013 by bigfootgurl because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Love this stuff, don't really care who or what does it, it's brilliant.

Thanks op

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
It is amazing! Thank you for posting this. So far from what I have read, many of the crop circles are not genuine. However, I keep my mind open to the possibilities of this one being genuine. After all, many of them cannot be explained and this is the focus.

This one especially, for its size and shape, is suspiciously "out of this world" if I can say that. The question is, what is the message?

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
If it was not Alien messaging it was Gaia herself. Either way it is about balance and Spiritual evolution. A Tantric symbol. The 4 corners represent the opening to the outer corners of our Universe.
edit on 7-5-2013 by antar because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join