It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New laser surgery technique can allegedly turn your brown eyes blue..

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Hi all

This is an interesting and somewhat controversial new development in the world of cosmetic surgery. I had wondered when something like this would be available to people who wanted to change their eye colour permanently. However it seems that it may potentially do more harm than good..

Would YOU turn your brown eyes blue?

California-based company Stroma Medical has patented a controversial technique that uses a laser beam that they say can transform brown eyes to blue in just a few weeks.

The company’s founder, Dr Gregg Homer, who has a PhD in biology and is, in his own words, ‘an inventor rather than a medical doctor’, says the technology is safe and will change the lives of thousands of people for the better.

The results of an early human trial are startling. Before-and-after photographs show that patients’ dark brown irises turned bright blue when they had been exposed to a targeted laser beam.

The Stroma device is likely to be available in South America, Asia, the Middle East and Southern Europe within the next 18 months, although a lot depends on the results of further human trials to check for safety as well as the need for an injection of a further £10million from investors.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

And by 2015 this treatment may even be available in the UK and US. If you fancy it... At a cost of £3,000. And once you go blue you cannot turn back..

The so-called Stroma Device has been deemed safe by the 'inventors'. But looking at the procedure itself I am not so sure. It differs from corrective laser surgery which uses lasers on the cornea (surface of eye) as this new procedure uses a laser inside the eye. More damage may arise from this new treatment because of where the laser will be directed. But still they insist it is safe..

The details of the method remain secret..

Over 15 people have now had this treatment with no apparent side effects. However if there are any they will most likely appear years after the surgery..

Methinks I will be passing on this. Not that it would work for me anyway as I have green eyes and this treatment only turns brown to blue...
I am happy with my eyes as they are...

peace
fluff

edit on 6-5-2013 by fluff007 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I will never let a laser touch my eyes for any reason.. Nothing is worth the possibility of going blind, whether its to change your eye color or correct vision. The only way I would get it is if i were going blind and it could help with that.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by dc4lifeskater

I agree with you 100%..! Luckily I have very good vision. So no laser beam will be directed in mine eyes..! I do not like it if someone shines a torch in my eyes let alone a laser..

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
well i wear glasses but not to bad of sight.. and as much as I hate wearing glasses because they are annoying and always get dirty, I can't wear contacts but even still wouldn't do the laser thing.

I knew a girl that paid the $10k for the eye laser surgery and they did it to much so then her eyes were worse and they cant fix it now.

The way they do it usually is they laser where they think you will be good but try not to do to much and then if it not enough you can pay another $10k and they will do it again to make it right.. itsnt that great business practice.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I'm guessing some type of research had to go into this, I would hope.
It just makes me frustrated to think they are spending money on this type of crap, just to make MORE money off of people that are insecure with themselves, and have more money than brains, when they could be doing research on something that may HELP someone.

Yep, that's the wonderful world we live in now.
I'm so proud.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
well I have green eyes but this is cool!

Wonder if I can turn mine yellow like wolves.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Does that mean the lyrics to Brown Eyed Girl and Brown Eyes will need to be re-written/

How will we tell when people are full of B.S.

If everyone gets this procedure and thus has Brown Eyes will we trust them less?

If everyone had brown eyes will Ashtar's hidden meaning by eye color become even more meaningless???

These are things that boggle my mind as I read this with my soft Brown eyes...

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by fluff007

I don't know what disturbs me more...that they attribute having blue eyes as leading to having a better life (wth?!) or if it was Josef Mengele that first attempted to change brown eyes to blue....not a good association. I think brown eyes look (logically) warmer and prettier than blue usually (I have green so no color bias there! lol).

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
What is the world coming to. People even have to change their eye color just because they aren't satisfied with what they were given? Why are people so vane. I like natural, women who wear all the chemicals, powders, and dies to make them look different are promoting deception. Can't people see that all this is a trick to get our money? Can't people see that they have been blinded by their desire to be something that they are not. We say we are an evolved race, how come an evolved race is so interested in looking attractive. This is an animal instinct, not an intellectual one. Most people are being misled and they think it is normal and that a lie is acceptable and desirable most times. People are so misled that they have made being frailty a sign of healthiness. This practice has been going on for a few generations and seems to be acceptable and desirable now in the USA and some other nations.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Thinking like that we wouldnt even have invented a single ornament. Not one earring or a bracelet.

I am strong proponent of transhumanism so... maybe I'm not the best person to talk to you about "human enhancements"

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   

I completely agree with your association...Kinda creepy

Lasers+eyes=blind in a few years. How sad.
edit on 6-5-2013 by Andromeda82 because: I meant this comment to respond to fluff007

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Yeah, I find it pretty disturbing, too. Although I'll wear a little make up (to prevent my looking remarkably like a zombie), I won't even highlight my hair even though it's become darker blonde (except for all the white lol). What irritates me is that, although people will compliment me on my hair, I'll still get critiqued for not getting highlights put in...whatever...
I'm not a guy but personally, I think natural is a whole lot prettier than plastic.

Then there's cases like these that just make the mind explode and are downright disturbing:
French doll: www.dailymail.co.uk...

Anime girl: www.huffingtonpost.com...

Ken: www.thesun.co.uk...

Barbie: www.dailymail.co.uk...

There's another one but considering she also alters the way that she talks entirely to be doll-like, the videos are just too disturbing. Venus Angelic for the not so faint of heart.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
It is just like the Dr. Seus book. Once "everyone" has blue eyes, (or a star on their belly ) then brown eyes will be the big thing. Then they will find a way to change back and charge you for it as well. Just embrace who you are.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
What a miserable idea...

Then again if your vanity is that out of control that you're willing to let lasers be shot into your eyes, that's your problem.

I see it as a pretty simple balance really.

All medical procedures and medications have risks and side effects to them. A qualified medical professional together with a well informed patient make a decision and weigh the benefits of the procedure/medication against the condition the patient suffers from. If the benefits outweigh the risk, you proceed. If not, you don't.

So yeah... blood pressure meds... they've got some side effects, but those side effects beat damaged blood vessels, strain on the heart, strokes, etc... so your doctor gives you the pill.

Eye color? Seriously? The procedure may be rated as safe, but things CAN happen... so you're going to put yourself (specifically your vision) at risk because what... movie heroes have blue eyes? That's insane.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

I got green eyes too..!

Yes I found it very disturbing that they attribute having blue eyes as leading to having a better life. It is absolutely ridiculous.. We are each unique in our own way and we should celebrate that not try and hide it..

I mean what is going to come out next....

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Djarums

Agreed..!

I just do not understand. You could potentially lose your sight.. All because of vanity.
They do not yet know the long term effects. And they are waving it about like it is a completely safe procedure and very straightforward... Which is somewhat the opposite of what it actually is...

Are coloured contact lenses not good enough for people. At least you can take them out and put in whatever colour you want..

It is also an irreversible procedure... *shudders*

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

*shivers*

Ooohh soo creepy.. I am all for peeps expressing themselves in ways which make them happy. But this lot..? I dont know.. It seems vanity is only thing the mass population care about these days...

Too self absorbed...

Thanks for those creepy links

edit on 8-5-2013 by fluff007 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 04:03 AM
link   
S&F

Pity once the iris is depigmented (blue), it can't be fully repigmented (brown)

I had LASIK not long ago and was surprised how fast and painless it was, despite several diopters of corneal tissue being sliced off!

I was beyond 'legally blind' but correctable, thus not, at worse that 20/250. It's amazing to now have 20/10 and with -.25 extra I can get to 20/8.

As for color, it's just perceived. Theres literally no difference between a brown or blue eye, except the brown melanin helps absorb some harmful US radiation that would otherwise yield more free radicals/and or toxic species in/thru the iris over decades of life.

Now, why can't they promise green, grey, hazel, violet? I know it has to do with refraction and disperse pigmentation (as opposed to almost total depigmentation) but was wondering why more in depth, biologically, opthalmologically.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by below

Now, why can't they promise green, grey, hazel, violet? I know it has to do with refraction and disperse pigmentation (as opposed to almost total depigmentation) but was wondering why more in depth, biologically, opthalmologically.

I think it is because when dark brown iris's are exposed to a targeted laser beam they turn bright blue. So they can not yet actually change the colour of your eyes...

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by fluff007
I think it is because when dark brown iris's are exposed to a targeted laser beam they turn bright blue. So they can not yet actually change the colour of your eyes...

Hmm yeah come to think of it.

I was looking at the Stroma website just now and see Dr Homer has been working on this for like 5 years or more. Doubt in 18mos it will be avail in either UK or US, but rather some more less legal country like Panama, Turkey, Thailand.

Hope if any ATSers do jump on the brown-eyes-blue bandwagon, they share before & after photos. Seeing is believing. (Sometimes)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join