It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boy tries to rape mom, kills her, over Call of Duty ban.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

Man this is just sick.

As a youngster myself, I used to get infuriated at video games too.
But that was way before online gaming and I never took it out on people.
It was always just too much and then I knew I had to quit the game.
This was before the word "ragequit" even existed.
Children should never allow themselves to get that mad.
At a video game.

The games do invoke extreme emotions!

I seriously can't believe this story though. Good God.
This is horrendous to say the least.
Shame on the kid that didn't know how to control himself.
That decision will affect the rest of his life.
Somethings you just don't act out.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I like the way some people are pointing their fingers at the game when anyone can turn on the TV and see sex and violence, some pretend and then some real on par with video games.

Maybe Freud was right after all. Just under the conscious there is just sex and aggressive thinking and he went to his grave thinking that all of mankind is sick in the head.

Tragic... on all sorts of levels.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by amraks
no need to be a Smart Alec Troll.

Says the person who also said "Lets blame the parents"

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I know...what about everyone start attacking me just because I asked the question?

farout.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   
This is truly shocking. I turned to my 14 year old son and told him this story, he was like...what the...

He told me that these kids are playing 'Call of Duty' on multi-player mode i.e. all around the world players.. and they say some pretty nasty stuff online....like "'l'll --- you"or come to your house and do "whatever" insert crazy here. There are videos on youtube like this , look this up on there as an example.....I won't embed this for the language.

Gamer Rage III :: Little Kid Rages during a 1v1 :: COD Black Ops ( plug it in youtube to see why this happened )

I had no idea, and thank you for the thread Lysergic, it's made me aware of something I need to pay attention to.

No, my kiddo is never allowed to play this or anything such....but he's aware from friends...
edit on 6-5-2013 by DaphneApollo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by havok
reply to post by Lysergic

As a youngster myself, I used to get infuriated at video games too.

Doesn't sound healthy.

It was always just too much and then I knew I had to quit the game.

Doesn't sound healthy.

Children should never allow themselves to get that mad.
At a video game.

Then why did you?

The games do invoke extreme emotions!

Extreme emotions? Normally, no, they do not.
In competitive people, normally they invoke competitiveness with the "seriousness" that comes with it.
Not extreme emotions.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Before video games events like this were blamed on rock music.

Before rock music events like this were blamed on horror movies.

Before horror movies events like this were blamed on comic books.

Ed Gein did not play video games.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thurisaz
I know...what about everyone start attacking me just because I asked the question?

farout.

Nobody is attacking you. You implied that the game is at fault with the question you asked. You can say that's not what you were getting at, but come on. It's ridiculous and you should expect to be ridiculed for it.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nevertheless

no need to be a Smart Alec Troll.

Says the person who also said "Lets blame the parents"

Your answer was sick and was advertising rape as a joke.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaphneApollo
This is truly shocking. I turned to my 14 year old son and told him this story, he was like...what the...

He told me that these kids are playing 'Call of Duty' on multi-player mode i.e. all around the world players.. and they say some pretty nasty stuff online....like "'l'll --- you"or come to your house and do "whatever" insert crazy here. There are videos on youtube like this , look this up on there as an example.....I won't embed this for the language.

Gamer Rage III :: Little Kid Rages during a 1v1 :: COD Black Ops ( plug it in youtube to see why this happened )

I had no idea, and thank you for the thread Lysergic, it's made me aware of something I need to pay attention to.

No, my kiddo is never allowed to play this or anything such....but he's aware from friends...

Good ! Don't let your children near the violent video games. Keep them away from these insidious things.

That way when he goes out and kills a bunch of people, we can start right at the core and look at mum.

No evil games in the way, that way.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Slugworth
Before video games events like this were blamed on rock music.

Before rock music events like this were blamed on horror movies.

Before horror movies events like this were blamed on comic books.

Ed Gein did not play video games.

Ironically, video games have played ed gein.

I was playing cod4 before and this one guy was so annoying spawn camping me all the time.. I told him I was gunna pwnt him and then I rage quit.

I so owned him.

link   
reply to post by Monger

NO I did not IMPLY... I asked the question.

back on topic:

My 16 year old Son has all the Grand Theft Auto games and I never worried at all about him playing them. I was happy for him to have an outlet for his frustration or aggression/ or even just for entertainment.

link   
People are addicted to many things. To say this could couldn't have gone into rage because he couldn't play his favorite game is laughable. Anyone who has raised kids knows how much kids are into video games. I've had many arguments with my son while he was growing up when I would have to take his video games away for one reason or another.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend

I was playing cod4 before and this one guy was so annoying spawn camping me all the time.. I told him I was gunna pwnt him and then I rage quit.

I so owned him.

LOL

Brilliant! I wish I could give you extra stars!!!

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by DaphneApollo

I used to tell my parents the same thing. I always wondered if they really believed me, or just wanted to believe.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Folks are gonna try to blame the video game tr some form of bad parenting... The kid is broken. Nobody is to blame. Just happens sometimes. Bad seed type of thing. It happens.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend

Originally posted by DaphneApollo

Good ! Don't let your children near the violent video games. Keep them away from these insidious things.

That way when he goes out and kills a bunch of people, we can start right at the core and look at mum.

No evil games in the way, that way.

Please clarify....

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thurisaz
I was happy for him to have an outlet for his frustration or aggression/ or even just for entertainment.

You should be worried if it's an outlet for his frustration or aggression.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Your answer was sick and was advertising rape as a joke.

You have a strange sense of humor if you found it to be a joke.
Also, blaming the mother for being [almost] raped and killed is normal?

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I design and program video and mobile games. I love games. I love to play games, including COD.

I stopped making violent games because I am absolutely sure playing violent games alters the brain and makes people more prone to acting out violence in the real world. Our brains are plastic and how we use our brain alters its structure and function (neuroplasticity).

Games are powerful; that's why they are used to rehabilitate people with brain injuries.

Certain areas of the brain light up when we make a kill on COD and it is a reward for killing. The neural pathways don't know the difference between a cyber kill and an actual kill. People with low ability to recognize or inhibit violent actions will be influenced to act them out.

The definitive study, analyzing 130 research studies involving 130,000 subjects worldwide, was published in the March 2010 issue of the Psychological Bulletin, an American Psychological Association journal. It reports that exposure to violent video games is a causal risk factor for increased aggressive thoughts and behavior, and decreased empathy and positive social behavior in youths. The data prove conclusively that exposure to violent video games makes more aggressive, less caring humans — regardless of their age, sex or culture. “We can now say with utmost confidence that regardless of research method — that is experimental, correlational, or longitudinal — and regardless of the cultures tested in this study [East and West], you get the same effects,” according to Craig Anderson, director of Iowa State’s Center for the Study of Violence.

Those of us who think we are immune to the effects of violent video games are just fooling ourselves. A guy will be really aggressive to his girlfriend or wife if she wants him to stop after a few hours and go do something. We will actually be rude to people we care for to protect our playing. And while we play to light up our brains, real life goes on. It is an opiate, an escape and we just have to admit it.

If you still don't believe it, why do you think the US Army recruits video gamers? It isn't just for their eye-hand coordination, it is for their ability to detach from the reality of murdering innocent people including women and children.
U.S. Army Recruiting Gamers

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join